Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dryheat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
I was wondering if anyone knows if an iPhone case with a magnetic closure will harm the 3Gs. I noticed that the AT&T store sell only velcro closure cases, the sales rep thought the magnet might be problem for the accelerometer.
Any advice, or suggestions?
thanks

weeman

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2007
Orange County, CA
Yeah, I was using my 1st gen with a blackberry storm case with a magnet and had no problems...

Now I am rockin the 3GS with the same case and have not encountered a problem either. I would assume you are fine.

dryheat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the heads up. I kinda figured the magnet was not strong enough to effect anything but when the sales person made the comment I started thinking...

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Just a quick bit of information, I don't know if it will affect anything.

When I use my compass near a desktop computer that is running it goes all over the place. Starts spinning and stuff.

bildio

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2008
New Jersey
I found that my iphone 3GS, with Agent18 ecoshield, fit very well in my Blackberry holster case (magnet near center). I called Apple tech support & was told not to use it. The magnet will effect the compass & stored phone data. I didn't ask if the magnet only effected the compass when in use or could permanently damage it. I also didn't ask how the magnet could effect the stored phone data.

Tubink

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2009
Reading, PA
I found that my iphone 3GS, with Agent18 ecoshield, fit very well in my Blackberry holster case (magnet near center). I called Apple tech support & was told not to use it. The magnet will effect the compass & stored phone data. I didn't ask if the magnet only effected the compass when in use or could permanently damage it. I also didn't ask how the magnet could effect the stored phone data.

Magnets wouldn't harm a flash chip from my understanding. They DO effect, however, HDDs, which you find in the iPod classic and most computers.

tnp651

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2009
The manual makes no mention of data loss from magnets but does have this:

Some iPhones contain an internal digital compass located in the upper right corner of iPhone. The accuracy of digital compass headings may be negatively affected by magnetic or other environmental interference, including interference caused by the close proximity of the magnets contained in the iPhone earbuds. [emphasis mine] Never rely solely on the digital compass for determining direction. Compare the information provided on iPhone to your surroundings and defer to posted signs to resolve any discrepancies.

It does appear that putting the phone into my magnet-closure belt case requires me to reset the compass when I take it out.

Tom

RiceRacerDX

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
I have a neodynium magnet with 215 lbs of pulling force and I was probably 5 feet away from it once when my iPhone started acting really strange...graphics and processes became very jittery and the screen started to flicker. Since then, I've stored the magnet in our shed. So I'm sure any magnet will have negative effects on ur iPhone, if not immediately then in the long-term.

And yes I can vouch for the compass being effected. If you get close to my magnet, the compass points straight to it. Any closer and it goes everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.