PDA

View Full Version : custom iPod cases

technocoy
May 26, 2004, 09:54 AM
Hi All,

well, i may finally have something to contribute to the community. Some of my friends and i are thinking of going into the custom toy business, but there are some side benefits of this: cool, geeky stuff. Since we will be purchasing and using quite a bit of fabrication equipment, we were thinking of digitizing the iPod case and building new, cool, sculpted and highrelief case designs in ABS plastic and acrylics. these would actually be a new case not a slide-in. My question is this: How many of you here would be interested, and what would you imagine something like this costing you?

now we will offer designs that we do (less money) and then we will do completely custom designs (more money) that we model and produce in 3d, send you a rendering of your case before we build it, then make it and finish it. I'm talking serious custom work here, with a possibility of bleeding over into other areas.

replies? ideas? general banter?

thanks guys,
technocoy

FuzzyBallz
May 26, 2004, 03:18 PM
Seeing how nearly all Mac fanatics buy apple care for their apple product, your custom replacement case, which voids the warranty, will NOT sell well at all (w/ new ipod owners). Now people w/ a 3 year old ipod is another story, but by then why waste money on re-casing an ipod when you can use that money on a better and new ipod.

wide
May 26, 2004, 03:49 PM
I agree. It's would be a good idea, but I doubt people will be willing to pay for a product without AppleCare that will cost them more than the regular (and already beautiful) iPod that includes a one year warranty and that may be upgradeable.

But that doesn't mean there's no market for what you are doing. There are plenty of people who will be too stupid (rather, not knowledgeable that if it their iPod with your designs on it breaks, Apple will not replace it) to know whether or not they should buy it.

You might want to consider offering warranties of your own, but that could be a risky thing to do.

Also, can you try to make a case for the iPod mini? I have one, and after awhile it gets...boring. Buying it was a terrible mistake.

virividox
May 26, 2004, 04:17 PM
do u mean like the colorware stuff? or custom designs ppl can specify

technocoy
May 26, 2004, 04:21 PM
so maybe i need to make it a case that the iPod is inserted or attached to after all. i think that i may still offer the others. as my iPod is out of warranty, and i would like to have one myself. so this just increases the product line i should offer. one for iPod that will have the case replaced, one for iPods to be slid into, and one for iPod mini (slide-in only).

and i'll post a warning on the website about the warranty thing.

i love the design (i'm a designer) but i also know that there are alot of people who would love to personalize theirs.

thanks for the constructive thoughts guys/gals!

technocoy

please continue to post ideas or general thoughts on the subject.

technocoy
May 26, 2004, 04:23 PM
shape and all. color as well.