PDA

View Full Version : How to play iPhone in car w/o aux output?

derek1984
Jun 24, 2009, 08:12 PM
I recently purchased the Griffen Auto Pilot for the iPod to play my iPhone in my car. However, when I went to set it up in my '04 Acura TSX, I discovered that I do not have a place for an aux input/output. The Auto Pilot works fine as a charger, but I obviously can't get music from my iPhone to play in my car. My question is, what would be the best route for me to go to be able to play music on my iPhone without my car having an aux output? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

aidricksdad
Jun 24, 2009, 08:27 PM
There ate places online or even at your local car stereo shop where you can buy a harness fit yer car that adds an aux input but it's not available on all cats but being an 04 you should be able to find one

aidricksdad
Jun 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
Try this place

www.tss-radio.com

LePigeonBleu
Jun 24, 2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_581PA15HON/USA-Spec-iPod-Interface.html?tp=120

aidricksdad
Jun 24, 2009, 08:35 PM
Fergot about crutchfield or you could get an FM transmitter or even better an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth and a few aux inputs or buy a new car

iArrudaG
Jun 24, 2009, 08:35 PM
At the apple store then have this thing called a cassette audio adapter. Basically, it looks like a cassette with a cord. The cassette end goes into the cars cassette player while the cord plugs into your iPod. Voila, music from your iPod to your car speakers.

It looks kind of like this...http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Tape-Cassette-Adapter-Players/dp/B000CFLES0

hawaiipoolman
Jun 24, 2009, 08:36 PM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=7900356#post7900356

apfhex
Jun 24, 2009, 08:41 PM
At the apple store then have this thing called a cassette audio adapter. Basically, it looks like a cassette with a cord. The cassette end goes into the cars cassette player while the cord plugs into your iPod. Voila, music from your iPod to your car speakers.
In this case, plug the cassette adapter into the aux output in the Griffin Autopilot and you're set. I have one from Sony that I used for years before I got a stereo with aux input. Cheapest solution, unless you want to return the Autipilot and get the FM transmitter version instead. (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itripautopilot) Neither will probably sound as good as having a real aux connection in your stereo though.

jscottbarnes
Jun 24, 2009, 08:41 PM

It looks kind of like this...http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Tape-Cassette-Adapter-Players/dp/B000CFLES0

I haven't seen a new car with a cassette player in it in 10 years... :confused:

milerich
Jun 24, 2009, 08:47 PM

It is unusual, but I have a 2006 Town & Country that has a 5 disc CD changer and a cassette player. No aux inputs however??? Odd as hell for 2006.

Since I don't feel like paying for a new stereo install, I think I will pick up an old-fashioned cassette adapter... didn't know they made these anymore.

Thanks for the tip guys!!

MadDog31
Jun 24, 2009, 08:58 PM
I have a car stereo in my 2001 Lincoln LS that:

1. Has no cassette deck
2. Has no CD changer jack
3. Has no aux input

FM is my only route. IT SUCKS. :( And I can't exactly afford a new stereo b/c if I were to get one, I'd like to get a touchscreen. The LS stock stereo is a large unit so fitting a smaller stereo in there wouldn't look right at all.

*sigh*

derek1984
Jun 24, 2009, 09:13 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. Yeah, I don't have a cassette player in my car. All of these options seem expensive. I figured that $30 would do the trick but since my car doesn't have an aux output, it seems like I am going to have to pay through the nose for it. As much as I would like to hear my iPhone in my car, paying $100+ just isn't worth it for me.

clborden
Jun 24, 2009, 09:16 PM
I have a car stereo in my 2001 Lincoln LS that:

1. Has no cassette deck
2. Has no CD changer jack
3. Has no aux input

FM is my only route. IT SUCKS. :( And I can't exactly afford a new stereo b/c if I were to get one, I'd like to get a touchscreen. The LS stock stereo is a large unit so fitting a smaller stereo in there wouldn't look right at all.

*sigh*

I know it works for the iPod, but maybe you can look into the Harmon Kardon iPod FM transmitter. It goes between the cars antenna and the stock radio so the sound quality isnt too bad. Might be worth it to see if it works for the iPhone.

Tubink
Jun 24, 2009, 09:19 PM

I own a 2000 Dodge Stratus that had a stock cassette player. I had a $300ish Pioneer CD player installed that has direct iPod control. I love hiding my iPod Nano in my glove compartment and controlling it with the head unit. :)

tivoboy
Jun 24, 2009, 10:06 PM
I recently purchased the Griffen Auto Pilot for the iPod to play my iPhone in my car. However, when I went to set it up in my '04 Acura TSX, I discovered that I do not have a place for an aux input/output. The Auto Pilot works fine as a charger, but I obviously can't get music from my iPhone to play in my car. My question is, what would be the best route for me to go to be able to play music on my iPhone without my car having an aux output? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

op, what sort of car do you have, and stereo?

STEVESKI07
Jun 24, 2009, 10:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Fergot about crutchfield or you could get an FM transmitter or even better an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth and a few aux inputs or buy a new car

Buy a new car? Haha what a stupid comment. I bought a Griffith iTrip and it works wonderfully and I live right outside a major city with plenty of FM interference. I'd give that a shot before you listen to someone else advising you to buy a new car.

aidricksdad
Jun 24, 2009, 10:27 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Buy a new car? Haha what a stupid comment. I bought a Griffith iTrip and it works wonderfully and I live right outside a major city with plenty of FM interference. I'd give that a shot before you listen to someone else advising you to buy a new car.

because i was DEAD SIRIUS about that

staccato83
Jun 25, 2009, 12:09 AM
because i was DEAD SIRIUS about that

Holding up to the quote in your signature I see... ;)

MadDog31
Jun 26, 2009, 09:59 AM
Yeah I have the Harmon Kardon unit going into my antenna (I should have mentioned that, my fault). It works some, but man it just doesn't replace a direct feed.

What sucks is the original stereo in my car had a CD changer port in the back which would have allowed a direct line-in, but the connection was faulty between the factory original and my steering wheel controls, so they swapped it out for the new version of that stereo.

...and of course in that new version, there was no need for a changer port since it's a 6-CD changer and the thought of a line-in at that point was foreign at best.

Life goes on... :-/

mdgolom
Jun 26, 2009, 10:04 AM

Hmm, guess I won't be able to find an 8-Track adaptor in that case. :D

tivoboy
Jun 26, 2009, 10:20 AM
the best solutions I have found, are in-line AUX adaptors, that run between the audio out/umbillical from the head unit, and other devices, like a CD player.

Then, you have a single or multi-aux input for any other devices. These are a bit more, like 50-75$ per car, but the signal is so much better.

Then work in the case one switches the head unit to CD, but there is no CD playing, so the signal travels to the AUX connector. It does require getting BEHIND the head unit, either removing it, or getting under the dash only in some cases.

this is where I bought

http://www.autosoundcentral.com/

jblock
Jun 26, 2009, 10:28 AM
I use a cassette adapter by Philips. I've tried a few others (including Sony) and you get the best fidelity with the Philips when it comes to these adapters.

Just saw you don't have a cassette player, tho. Sorry.

honeytoast
Jun 26, 2009, 10:50 AM
Check out usaspec.com. They provide Auxilary adapters that work with factory head units. If your head unit has cd changer/sat. radio control capability then you can add one of these. This is the best way to go short of buying an aftermarket head unit from say Eclipse or Pioneer.

This is the one for your specific vehicle.

http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=29

m-dogg
Jun 26, 2009, 10:58 AM

My old 1999 Nissan had a tape deck and a single disc CD player. My current 2006 Audi has a cassette deck, 6-disc in-dash CD player and XM satellite radio.

No aux jacks.

I use the tape adapter - Definitely not as good as plugging into an aux jack, but MUCH better than any FM transmitter I've ever used. I hate FM transmitters!

spannerotoole
Jun 27, 2009, 01:41 PM
You don't have to use the Griffin FM transmitter, there are other ones available for about $10-20.

Remember, just because it doesn't say "Made for iPod" doesn't mean it won't work.

Ronnoco
Jun 27, 2009, 02:23 PM
Has anyone tried THIS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/redirect?link_code=ur2&camp=1789&tag=macrumors-20&creative=9325&path=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FSatechi-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Transmitter-supported%2Fdp%2FB000NVYVRO) ?

YouTube Video Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDPiAq2H0aE)

mb2008
Jun 27, 2009, 03:57 PM
Yeah, I have a 2005 TSX, the AUX jack didn't show up until 2006. What burns me is my DH's 2004 Element has an AUX jack AND his CD plays MP3. :mad:

Ronnoco
Jun 27, 2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I have a 2005 TSX, the AUX jack didn't show up until 2006. What burns me is my DH's 2004 Element has an AUX jack AND his CD plays MP3. :mad:

Yes, I had a 2004 Element and it did indeed have an AUX jack and a CD/MP3...
That thing was cool...traded it in on a 2008 C300 and got $12,000 for it with 40k on it...

fleshman03
Jun 27, 2009, 04:21 PM
I know you're getting lots and lots of advice. I'm just going to add my two cents.

I bought this a week ago for my 3GS. While it's not the most sterdy thing on the face of the planet, it does a great job of FM transmission. Much clearer than any cassette player then I have ever tried. You don't get the sound of a tape playing either.

It holds the iPhone ok. There is some movement on really sharp turns, but that is it.

I don't use the extra headphone jack to play calls over the stereo. It's just overkill and doesn't sound as good as the normal speaker.

Take a look (http://www.handhelditems.com/iphone-ipod-touch-ipod-nano-allinone-transmitter-black-p-19316.html). For the price, I don't think you'll find much better.

TheNewsPaperBoy
Jun 27, 2009, 04:26 PM
I know you're getting lots and lots of advice. I'm just going to add my two cents.

I bought this a week ago for my 3GS. While it's not the most sterdy thing on the face of the planet, it does a great job of FM transmission. Much clearer than any cassette player then I have ever tried. You don't get the sound of a tape playing either.

It holds the iPhone ok. There is some movement on really sharp turns, but that is it.

I don't use the extra headphone jack to play calls over the stereo. It's just overkill and doesn't sound as good as the normal speaker.

Take a look (http://www.handhelditems.com/iphone-ipod-touch-ipod-nano-allinone-transmitter-black-p-19316.html). For the price, I don't think you'll find much better.

And its in an acura in the picture, its guaranteed to work!! ;)