PDA

View Full Version : G4 Ripping speed?

oldMac
Dec 10, 2001, 07:39 PM
Question for you G4 owners out there...

How fast (according to iTunes) does a G4 rip CDs? I'm curious to know the difference between, say a G4 500 and a G4 867.

And to make this fit into the rumors category... how fast should we expect this to get in the future? How fast could an iPod potentially rip from a firewire CD burner?

menoinjun
Dec 10, 2001, 09:13 PM
From what I remember, I can rip at around 8.7X on average. I think I have hit 12X before, but I really don't pay too much attention to it.

Dual 533
512mb cl-3
CD-RW
iTunes 2.0

-Pete

eyelikeart
Dec 10, 2001, 10:19 PM
It tends to vary on my PowerBook G4. I've seen a lowest of about 2x and a high of about 7x. It all depends on what bit rate I have it set to compress into.

dantec
Dec 10, 2001, 11:29 PM
With my Quicksilver I've had a maximum of 8x and a minimum of 6x. It all depends on your drive... If you have just a normal Cd-burner, I would expect you to get around 18x, with a Superdrive around 12x (like me) & with a combo around 14x.

About the iPod, I hope it can do something like this, but I don't think firewire devices really have very much intelligence, I mean try connecting a Sony Camrecorders iLink port to a firewire hard drive! Does not work!

X-streamist
Dec 11, 2001, 07:11 AM
i am not sure about this but....
ripping speed is more reliant on the read speed of the CD drive you are using. Computing speed isn't all that important anymore because it is basically just number crunching (not that intensive). a 40X reader will rip alot faster than a 24X reader. the powerbooks have 24X readers and i think the desktop G4s have a 32X reader (hence the higher encoding rate). A 40X reader is said to rip an entire CD in a couple of minutes.