PDA

View Full Version : how to keep ur desktop clean....

mooshoo
May 26, 2004, 11:59 AM
I've been having the hardest time trying to keep all the icons arranged on my desktop, but it's getting out of hand. For example, I downloaded MSN messenger to the desktop, mounted the image, and I can see that the program is there. I was told that once the program is installed, you should be able to delete that disk image icon, and the program will be fine. However, when I delete the image it kills the program too. So I have re-download the app, and leave the 2 icons on the desktop. Is there a way around this? Is it a 'permissions' issue? It's just getting annoying to have all these disk images on the desktop....

thnx!

Spizzo
May 26, 2004, 12:08 PM
I had this same problem too, and it drove me crazy. I finally fixed it after a week or two of messing with it. But that was a few months ago, and i forget what exactly i did. I think i dragged disk image icon into the application folder, and that worked. But I'm not sure. Sorry... :(

grapes911
May 26, 2004, 12:11 PM
I've been having the hardest time trying to keep all the icons arranged on my desktop, but it's getting out of hand. For example, I downloaded MSN messenger to the desktop, mounted the image, and I can see that the program is there. I was told that once the program is installed, you should be able to delete that disk image icon, and the program will be fine. However, when I delete the image it kills the program too. So I have re-download the app, and leave the 2 icons on the desktop. Is there a way around this? Is it a 'permissions' issue? It's just getting annoying to have all these disk images on the desktop....

thnx!

I never used msn messenger, but with some programs you have to move the program itself from the mounted image to the applications folder (or where ever you want it). Then get rid of the image.

Veldek
May 26, 2004, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you didn't install, but just ran it from the disk image. Of course it goes away if you unmount and delete it.

For installation just drag the app to your applictions folder and use it from there.

jxyama
May 26, 2004, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you didn't install, but just ran it from the disk image. Of course it goes away if you unmount and delete it.

For installation just drag the app to your applictions folder and use it from there.

exactly. think of disk image as a CD, say. when you unpacked the original file and mounted the image, it's like putting in a CD with the application. you can run the app off the CD no problem, but if you eject the CD, the app will not run.

just copy the application out of the disk image. then you can eject the image no problem without affecting the app.

mooshoo
May 26, 2004, 10:52 PM
So, let me get this straight:

When I download, two icons show up on the desktop. One is the disk image itself, and the second icon is the "volume". I drag the disk image to the app folder, then install it there? Afterwards, i can then delete the icon?

Is that the jist of it?

thnx!

mooshoo
May 26, 2004, 11:37 PM
yeah, no matter what I do that icon keeps coming back onto the desktop, even after I drag it to the applications folder. It also makes a shortcut in the app folder. Wonder what's going on!

abhishekit
May 27, 2004, 12:27 AM
So, let me get this straight:

When I download, two icons show up on the desktop. One is the disk image itself, and the second icon is the "volume". I drag the disk image to the app folder, then install it there? Afterwards, i can then delete the icon?

Is that the jist of it?

thnx!
no. from the volume, which would actually be viewed in the finder, drag the icon in the applications folder. NOT the disk image.

cheers

mooshoo
May 27, 2004, 01:20 AM
hmm. ok maybe I'm a knucklehead.

I did what you described, but it still affects the app when I delete the volume and image icon.

After the download finishes (msn), i get two icons on the desktop. 1 is the volume, the other, dmg. Ok. I clicked on the VOLUME icon, and a small window (finder) pops up with the msn icon. i drag this icon to the application folder, correct? I tried to drag the volume icon once, but ended up getting just a shortcut (I guess that's wrong).

Now, the problem is that once I have everything installed, I should be able to clean the desktop of the 2 icons (dmg. and volume), correct? I dragged both of them to the trash, but I get this image: "Error: Cannot Delete because Item is in Use".

After a couple minutes I tried to eject the volume again, and this time it worked, BUT, the msn icon on my dock now displays a black "?" mark on it, and won't launch.

That's the part I'm confused about....any suggestions?? thnx!

Veldek
May 27, 2004, 02:30 AM
It seems you have started the app from the volume, then copied it to your harddrive. Do you have the MSN messenger in your Applications folder now?

Yes Ė start the app and see if it works (it should).

No Ė download the dmg again (if you donít have it anymore), then mount it (it seems that your Mac mounts it automatically). Open the volume like you did before, copy the app to your harddrive (donít start it yet), then unmount the volume. Start the app that is on your harddrive now (preferably in your Applications folder).

Try this and tell us what happens.

mooshoo
May 27, 2004, 11:55 AM
Veldek,

Danke!

I think where I was messing up was the copy-paste. In fact, I don't think I even did that. I was "dragging" the app around. So I followed your instructions verbatim, and I think it worked. I've mounted/unmounted several times to make sure, and it seems fine.

thanks for all your help.

15" PBG4, 1ghz,
1 gig RAM

btw, I used to love Tom Clancy books.

Veldek
May 27, 2004, 12:10 PM
Veldek,

Danke!

Keine Ursache! ;)

I have to admit though that I didn't read any Tom Clancy books yet, though we have two or three at home. I just watched some of the movies. But I liked the quote when I read it and was looking for a good sig at the time.

jxyama
May 27, 2004, 12:12 PM
Veldek,

Danke!

I think where I was messing up was the copy-paste. In fact, I don't think I even did that. I was "dragging" the app around. So I followed your instructions verbatim, and I think it worked. I've mounted/unmounted several times to make sure, and it seems fine.

thanks for all your help.

15" PBG4, 1ghz,
1 gig RAM

one more suggestion... in the future, when you install a new app, launch it from the folder on the HD and not bother with trying to get the icon on the dock at first. it's more confusing, as you saw. once the app launches from the folder, that app should show up on the dock. now, click (and hold) the app's icon on the dock and move it within the dock to wherever you want. now, even if you quit the app, that icon will stay in the dock!

jeremy.king
May 27, 2004, 12:24 PM
I would also like to suggest changing the location for files downloaded in Safari/Mozilla/whateverBrowserYouUse... This will keep all the .dmg, .pdf, and other downloaded files off your desktop. This is usually done in the preferences window of the appropriate browser.

mooshoo
May 27, 2004, 12:36 PM
Super! Thanks for all the help!