Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobile23

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Vancouver
My AppleTV is running 2.3.1 with NitoTV. I found that ATV seems not able to handle rmvb very way especially when there are fast motion in the video. Will a 7200rpm hard drive upgrade able to help this issue? And is there any other hardware upgrade that can be done in order to improve ATV's performance (like ram upgrade)? Thanks

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
A faster hard drive would only help in loading a listing of movies and the initial buffering of video.
Problems with fast motion have to do with the ATV's lacking processor.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
Particularly when using NitoTV since no decoding is being offloaded to the nvidia gpu. Everything is being done by the main processor, which by itself is not up to the task.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
One other note. realize that the measly real ram in the atv dictates that the os uses quite a bit of vram, which of course is written to disk (along with the video buffer). Now I can tell you ( and I think cave man will back me up ) that going to an eSata drive (7200 32mb cache) definitely wakes up the atv a bit. Whether it's due to more available disk space, the disk cache or disk speed, I cannot say with certainty. What I can say is that it's a fact. Take it for what it's worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.