PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard USB won't power jump drive

Mr.Spike
May 26, 2004, 12:08 PM
I just bought a little jump (or key or thumb or whatever) drive to transfer files between my G3 laptop and G4 desktop. But now I find my desktop's Apple Pro keyboard's USB ports don't supply enough power to run it. Plugging into the CPU means I have to crawl under the desk and unplug something else...and I'm not really up for buying a USB hub just for this.

Do any jump drives work on the power from the keyboard? Mine is a SanDisk cruzer 128MB. Or is there another non-networked way to easily transfer files between laptop and desktop?

Suggestions appreciated.

blue&whiteman
May 26, 2004, 12:46 PM
ports on the new macs themselves are usb 2.0. the ones on the keyboard are usb 1.1.

just found this (http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/usb_internal_hub/usb_internal_hub.html)

as long as your G4 is a digital audio or older that will work. I guess you could on a quicksilver also.

kgarner
May 26, 2004, 01:19 PM
I don't thinkany of them work off the keyboard ports as the power requirements are higher than those for mice and keyboards. Do what i did and run a USB extension cable from the back to somewhere accessible and use that. A lot of drives even include them for just such a purpose.

LethalWolfe
May 26, 2004, 02:02 PM
I just bought a 256meg Sandisck "thumb drive" and I plug it into the keyboard w/o a problem. It works on the keyboard w/my Quicksilver at home and my new (relatively new) eMac at work. As well as my PC at home (which shares the keyboard and mouse w/my Mac).

Lethal

Horrortaxi
May 26, 2004, 02:15 PM
I have a Memorex USB 2.0 drive (256MB if that matters) and it works fine plugged into my keyboard.

ebow
May 26, 2004, 03:09 PM
Neither of my thumb drives (Lexar JumpDrive 2.0 Pro 256MB and 512MB) work when plugged into my CRT iMac's keyboard. I think I tried one in a PC keyboard's USB port and it didn't work either (I could be wrong, though). Fortunately, my iMac's USB ports are right at desk level.

Seems like your results will vary based on the manufacturer, or maybe just luck. I wonder if they would work in the back of an ADC monitor. I'm guessing it functions as a powered USB hub.

Macmaniac
May 26, 2004, 05:01 PM
My HP Flash drive works fine on my iMac KB, if you want to avoid going under your desk get a USB extender cord, get a male to female cord so you can plug in from your desk.

FuzzyBallz
May 26, 2004, 05:22 PM
Multiple SanDisk MiniCruzer 256MB no problem w/ the G4 MDD systems.