PDA

View Full Version : Speed/update Powerbook G4

Yurtal
Jun 25, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi guys. I am currently using a 15" powerbook G4 1.67 Ghz 1.5GB ram. I have been trying to find some information on upgrading and speeding this machine up and any help would be very much appreciated. What sort of things are possible? HDD, Ram?

I am intending on saving for a new MBP but I also own a early 08 Mac Pro and was wondering if I should just put money into upgrading that beast and put a bit of money into the powerbook and continue to use that as my portable.

I use the laptop mainly for general web and movie stuff, but also use the laptop with Guitar Rig 3. I'd like to eventually get a smaller, lighter portable machine but if it is possible to perform some system upgrades on the powerbook, it would be a good money saver for the time being and continue using it.

Thanks in advance for the help.

TheReef
Jun 25, 2009, 07:29 AM
I guess the cheapest thing to do would be reformat, it often helps especially when the computer is loaded. I personally wouldn't put a great deal of money into an older machine.

Disabling dashboard gives a good speed boost as well when you've got lots of widgets I find.

iShater
Jun 25, 2009, 07:54 AM
Check to see the processes running, are there extra things taking up the CPU? how much RAM swapping is taking place?

I think your machine can go up to 2GB, that will give you a boost once you figure out if there are any offending processes. A $50 memory upgrade (probably less) would be worth it to extend the life of this nice machine.

Make sure you have more than 10% of the HD free at least as well.

And as the other reply said, if you really notice performance issues, a clean reinstall at some point might be worth it, but I would do that as a last resort if you are desperate.

Yurtal
Jun 25, 2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks so much for the reply's. I am thinking of getting a new 1GB stick of ram and also a 7200RPM HDD. I'm not entirely sure which HDD's are compatible, but I'm sure I'll find out.

I have disabled dashboard and I will open activity monitor and see what is hogging the ram etc.

I really love this machine. It's funny, I recently owned a uMB and a white 2.0Ghz macbook and had so much trouble with screen quality. This powerbook has the most amazing screen and is around 4 years old. Really a very well made computer.

Anyway, if you could point me in the right direction as to a new fast internal drive that would be great.

Cheers again.