PDA

View Full Version : iPhone OS 3.0 Adoption Rate Soars

MacRumors
Jun 25, 2009, 09:16 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/25/iphone-os-3-0-adoption-rate-soars/)

Tapbots, creator of the popular unit conversion iPhone app Convertbot, has published data (http://tapbots.com/blog/news/iphone-os-30-adoption-rate) showing the rate of adoption of iPhone OS 3.0 by its users. Notably, as of June 22nd, 75% of users running the latest version of Convertbot were using iPhone OS 3.0.

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/25/100440-iphone_3.0_adoption_500.png

Demonstrating the effect of the $9.95 upgrade fee for the iPod touch on adoption rates, only just over 50% of iPod touch users were running iPhone OS 3.0, while nearly 80% of iPhone users were doing so.

While we caution readers about jumping to too many conclusions based on this sample of a single version of a single app without differentiating between new and upgrading users of the application, the data provides an interesting glimpse at upgrade patterns during the period leading up to and in the few days after the public launch of iPhone OS 3.0.

Article Link: iPhone OS 3.0 Adoption Rate Soars (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/25/iphone-os-3-0-adoption-rate-soars/)

pubwvj
Jun 25, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'm still waiting. Too many bugs.

Tygernoot
Jun 25, 2009, 10:09 AM
AppleInsider reports are quite different: almost half the iPhone users and hardly any iPod Touch users.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/25/upgrade_fee_sees_few_ipod_touch_users_updating_to_3_0_software.html

macduke
Jun 25, 2009, 10:36 AM

What bugs? My 3g and 3gs are fine, and I'm a HEAVY user who likes to play with every aspect of the device and push it to its limits. Internet tethering an episode of The Office on Hulu to my MBP while recording a movie then compressing and uploading the video to YouTube on my 3gs? Check. There might be an odd thing that happens here or there (like with the compass), but there is nothing major at all, especially when you compare this release to 2.0, which ended up killing my iPhone's soul with its lag, app crashes, apps disappearing, music disappearing, then Apple logo screen of death (ALSOD) that caused me to replace two units until I figured out what DFU restores were all about. Trust me, I know problems, and at least for me, a heavy user with several hundred apps, I've had nothing happen.

joro
Jun 25, 2009, 10:52 AM
I think this study is kind of self-fulfilling in the sense that most people will upgrade to new software when itís available, especially for things such as the iPhone. I do think itís interesting to note however the adoption rates among iPod Touch users (around 50%) which is obviously hindered by the fact that people have to pay for the updates.

coffeemaciphone
Jun 25, 2009, 11:03 AM
Shouldn't the iPhone 3GS (or 3G S) have some effect on this data?

It appears that it's just the same number of devices for each version of software.

nagromme
Jun 25, 2009, 11:43 AM
AppleInsider reports are quite different: almost half the iPhone users and hardly any iPod Touch users.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/06/25/upgrade_fee_sees_few_ipod_touch_users_updating_to_3_0_software.html

That's what I was wondering. Now, one developer's user base is not the same as AdMob's survey, but 50% vs. 1% is a huge difference. I'd question both data sources more.

And I know a week isn't that long, but still, 1% adoption in a week, after copy-and-paste has been so much demanded, sounds implausible on the surface. (Especially with people spending tons of money anyway--on the device, on music, on rentals, on games... $9.95 isn't going to frighten EVERY user.)

But I'd be curious to know what the real numbers are.

Axxl
Jun 25, 2009, 12:38 PM
One minor thing is, I think a lot more people get an iPod touch who don't really know much about technology and such. Or they get them as part of the educational summer sale and don't really use them, so don't care about updating. Most iPhone users know what they're getting and eagerly await new updates, but I don't think it's as much of a deal for iPod touch users.
Alex
Edit: And, 3.0 is fine, what bugs are you talking about??

optophobia
Jun 25, 2009, 02:44 PM

Please explain the bugs.....

ugadawg94
Jun 25, 2009, 02:47 PM
Please explain the bugs.....

First one I have run into with 3.0 on both 3G and 3GS, is it kills wifi. Since installing I have lost nearly all wifi usage on 3 iPhones(2 3G and 1 3GS). Lots of talk about this on the apple forums. That's just one for starters.

joro
Jun 25, 2009, 02:51 PM
First one I have run into with 3.0 on both 3G and 3GS, is it kills wifi. Since installing I have lost nearly all wifi usage on 3 iPhones(2 3G and 1 3GS). Lots of talk about this on the apple forums. That's just one for starters.

Thatís odd my wifi has actually gotten better with 3.0. I had problems with the 3G and 2.0 OS always turning wifi off all together and I had to go back in and manually turn it back on if I got somewhere that had wifi. That problem has gone away with the 3.0 and the 3GS for me.

Spades
Jun 25, 2009, 04:01 PM
One minor thing is, I think a lot more people get an iPod touch who don't really know much about technology and such. Or they get them as part of the educational summer sale and don't really use them, so don't care about updating. Most iPhone users know what they're getting and eagerly await new updates, but I don't think it's as much of a deal for iPod touch users.
Alex
Edit: And, 3.0 is fine, what bugs are you talking about??

Wow, that's a pretty big assumption. I would guess the opposite, myself, but wouldn't assume either way.

I think a more likely explanation is that there is no compelling reason to upgrade a Touch to 3.0, especially a first gen.

Manic Mouse
Jun 25, 2009, 04:22 PM
One of the guys at my church also has an iPhone and didn't even know what firmware was when I asked if he had the new one. I guess there are quite a few users like that who may never upgrade because they have no idea!

EDIT: And to add to the bug discussion, my iPhone is running better than ever under 3.0 with way more features to boot.

GimmeSlack12
Jun 25, 2009, 04:26 PM

Yeah, what bugs?

organerito
Jun 25, 2009, 05:53 PM
I don't even want to remember firmware 2.0. My ipod Touch under 2.0 was the most frustrating hanheld I have had. I ha to restore many times because my music dissapear. 3.0 is a lot more stable for me.

JustinEvil
Jun 25, 2009, 07:59 PM
I've met people within the last 6 months who haven't updated their phones since they bought them in summer 07. I wanted to hurt them.

CrimsonTider
Jun 25, 2009, 09:33 PM
My Wifi is messed up now also. I can't get any help with it. I tried the tricks used in the past and none worked.

Very disappointed that I can't even get Wi Fi with it sitting right next to me.

djellison
Jun 26, 2009, 07:48 AM
I wanted to hurt them.

Why? It's a phone. It plays music. It goes online. That's all they actually care about. Hurt Apple if anyone - for not making it blindingly, massively obvious how, when and why to do these updates.

FWIW - this 3.0 adoption is, I hope, people going "About damn time" rather than a fanboytastic "OMFG NEW FEATURES"

supmango
Jun 26, 2009, 08:06 AM
Doesn't iTunes always ask you to update your device everytime you connect once it know's there's an update? I don't know of a way to hide this. Many people will do an update just to get their computer to stop nagging them (I think Microsoft first adopted this approach).

Also, OS 3.0 runs better than ever on my 1 gen iPhone. I can only imagine it runs even better on the newer hardware. I have yet to experience any bugs and I use the thing a lot (battery is dead by 3pm every day, I know I need a new battery).

dangleheart
Jun 26, 2009, 09:21 AM
I've met people within the last 6 months who haven't updated their phones since they bought them in summer 07. I wanted to hurt them.

Hope you are only joking.. If not, this is the kind of attitude that gives techies a bad name..

Queso
Jun 26, 2009, 09:28 AM
FWIW - this 3.0 adoption is, I hope, people going "About damn time" rather than a fanboytastic "OMFG NEW FEATURES"
3.0 was the release that finally convinced me an iPhone was worth having. There were too many little things missing from previous releases that added up to uncertainty on whether I'd get on with it.

twoodcc
Jun 26, 2009, 09:30 AM
i expect the ipod touch users to stay at 2.2 for a little while. compared to the free iphone upgrade

SpaceKitty
Jun 26, 2009, 12:21 PM

We havne't come across a single bug on either of our iPhones. Everything works perfectly including battery life.

whooleytoo
Jun 29, 2009, 06:50 AM
For those who haven't seen any 3.0 bugs/issues, I've run into a couple. Some may simply be app bugs which haven't been upgraded, but it's still a valid concern

Snake Galaxy either crashes on launch, or the keyboard it 'sticky' (keys stay pressed when you tap them). And performance overall is noticeably worse. Even FlightControl stutters more now than it used to pre-upgrade (and even restarting doesn't improve it), and that's hardly the most CPU/graphically testing app.

NGMstudios
Jul 4, 2009, 09:44 AM
1. The apps I have downloaded since 3.0 do not have the right pictures to represent them. My son got a game he wanted to play and it seems to be borrowing another games picture to represent it. Erased and tried again- nothing.
2. I got tip calculator- blank picture. Erased and reloaded- nothing.
3. Phone does not reset as it used to. "Slide to turn off" icon does not show up; instead screen goes blank and turns off.
4. Battery life seems to be less. This could just be me. The Maps app is by far the biggest hog of battery life.
5. Why should I have to get a new $@&#ing phone to extend the battery life? That's a rip off.
6. I won't go into the other small issues I've seen (slower processing speeds, etc etc etc etc etc etc).
7. I adore the phone but these 3.0 issues need to be fixed.
8. Oh, how could I forget? The wireless Internet works sometimes. I can't think of how many times I have seen safari can't open page or app store. I have a wireless signal when trying to use wireless but sometimes have to switch to 3G to get response.

I know there are more people having problems. Please speak up. I could not wait for 3.0 to come out but at this point, I'll take the earlier OS. No, I'm not restoring my earlier settings to do that. That would be pathetic to have to do to get the stability back.

The General
Jul 4, 2009, 12:32 PM
1. The apps I have downloaded since 3.0 do not have the right pictures to represent them. My son got a game he wanted to play and it seems to be borrowing another games picture to represent it. Erased and tried again- nothing.

They are called "icons." Restarting your phone should fix it.

Yes, this a bug.

2. I got tip calculator- blank picture. Erased and reloaded- nothing.

Does the description in the AppStore for that application say that it's not compatible with 3.0 and that there's a pending update to make it work in 3.0?

Most likely.

No, this is not an OS 3.0 bug, it's a tip calculator bug.

3. Phone does not reset as it used to. "Slide to turn off" icon does not show up; instead screen goes blank and turns off.

You're doing it wrong. Just hold the sleep/wake button until "slide to turn off" shows up. Do not hold the home button and the sleep/wake button.

Not a bug. User error.

4. Battery life seems to be less. This could just be me. The Maps app is by far the biggest hog of battery life.

The OS is doing more and has more features. Thus, it uses more power. My battery still lasts all day and I can charge it at night. Fine for me.

Not a bug. Irrational user.

5. Why should I have to get a new $@&#ing phone to extend the battery life? That's a rip off.

Because batteries are hardware and cannot be upgraded via a firmware update.

Not a bug. Irrational user.

8. Oh, how could I forget? The wireless Internet works sometimes. I can't think of how many times I have seen safari can't open page or app store. I have a wireless signal when trying to use wireless but sometimes have to switch to 3G to get response.

Haven't heard of anyone having this problem but you. I think this can be ruled user error.

Knowlege Bomb
Jul 4, 2009, 02:38 PM
“CallerID Fix Collection for 2.2” by Carlo Franchino (Frank8) is the ultimate solution for who live in a country that is not present in Settings, Regional Format, and have trouble with Caller ID or SMS when numbers are stored in Address Book with or without international prefix. Here’s a list of supported countries. You can install CallerID Fix Collection from Cydia’s Localization category, throught the iSpazio Repository - Community Sources

Thank you for your overwhelmingly relevant contribution...

I'll not sit here and claim 3.0 is flawless. I believe every single user that is here posting about bugs. I, for one, am 100% satisfied with the new firmware. I've had no issues and things have only been getting better as updates have started to roll out.

Also, I never thought I would need copy and paste but I've gotta say that the extreme intuitiveness Apple integrated into the dated function is top notch. I think it's creeping up into my "favorite 3.0 feature" slot.

JustinEvil
Jul 4, 2009, 06:44 PM
Only half joking. What annoys me are people who buy iphones as a status symbol, especially when updating it couldn't really be any more simple.

I used to work in an apple retail store, and on 3G launch, I sold a phone to a man who had waited in line 3-4 hours, and was replacing his 2g phone. When I helped him, I was making small talk, asking him if he had 3g service in his area. "What's 3g?" This guy didn't even know why he was upgrading his 2g phone to a 3g phone, he just knew that it was new, it was expensive, and he had to wait in line and get it. I'm sorry I just can't stand rich yuppies like that.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but it just irks me when I see people with this attitude of "YAY look at how much money I have, I'm so great YAY!"

Knowlege Bomb
Jul 4, 2009, 07:07 PM
Only half joking. What annoys me are people who buy iphones as a status symbol, especially when updating it couldn't really be any more simple.

I used to work in an apple retail store, and on 3G launch, I sold a phone to a man who had waited in line 3-4 hours, and was replacing his 2g phone. When I helped him, I was making small talk, asking him if he had 3g service in his area. "What's 3g?" This guy didn't even know why he was upgrading his 2g phone to a 3g phone, he just knew that it was new, it was expensive, and he had to wait in line and get it. I'm sorry I just can't stand rich yuppies like that.

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but it just irks me when I see people with this attitude of "YAY look at how much money I have, I'm so great YAY!"

I can definitely see where you're coming from but in the guy's defense, he may have known the new iPhone was capable of faster speeds but didn't know the technical terms. He also could have been buying it because he liked the way it looked better.

Ya just never know is all I'm saying.

Blacklabel34
Jul 6, 2009, 06:33 PM
my iphone for whatever reason crashed and I had to preform a hard reset. Since 3.0 was the latest version out I had no choice but to install that version for the reset process. I was bummed at first because I like to wait it out until everything is fixed but it runs fairly nice. I did notice my iphone (3G) runs faster and even noticed the battery lasting a little longer. well see how this all plays out :rolleyes:

luisemogan
Jul 10, 2009, 06:04 AM
Hi dear friends,

I don't know of a way to hide this. Many people will do an update just to get their computer to stop nagging them.

I think Microsoft first adopted this approach.

Thanks

iPhoneNYC
Jul 11, 2009, 12:36 PM
Why not? 3.0 is free and delivers many of the upgrades one would pay for with a 3GS. And for those who think too many bugs, I haven't experienced that at all.

NGMstudios
Aug 7, 2009, 08:48 AM
Not going to sit here and pick apart other posts to this thread and try to quote every little detail. Pointless.

Thank you General for your input. Some of it was helpful. But not much of it.

The phone does switch icons with other apps after download. This is a 3.0 problem. I find it only happens when I download apps through the phone instead of on computer first. Pre 3.0, I could download apps all day with no problems or hindrances to their icons. You may try deleting from phone and computer and going about reloading the software, but this does not help sometimes.

I have always held sleep/wake button along with home button to restart phone. I've done it hundreds of times. It rarely works with new 3.0 software. I wouldn't be so quick to rule "irrational user/user error". There may be other people out there with the same problems. Kudos to you, Gen, if you are not one of them.

Battery power- Has been OK. Very much the same as pre 3.0.

I do realize that when getting new software, you are essentially getting a new phone. After new software, the phone IS different then what you had an hour before. This is definitely cool! You get "a new phone" for free. However, it is slower than it used to be and I don't have any more or any less on it than before, accept for some contacts and notes.. I would hope that after installing new software my phone would not be less than what it was but more, rather, because updates make the phone better than what it was.

Apps crash more frequently now, "Slide to unlock" works 75% of time, phone is slower even when opening sms or phone, phone does freeze more often.