Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Link

(CNN) -- Farrah Fawcett, the blonde-maned actress whose best-selling poster and "Charlie's Angels" stardom made her one of the most famous faces in the world, has died. She was 62.

Farrah Fawcett rose to fame in the 1970s, thanks to a best-selling poster and the hit show "Charlie Angels."

Fawcett, who checked into a Los Angeles, California, hospital in early April, had been battling anal cancer on and off for three years.

Ryan O'Neal, Fawcett's romantic partner since the mid-1980s, recently told People magazine that the sex symbol was declining.

"She stays in bed now. The doctors see that she is comfortable. Farrah is on IVs, but some of that is for nourishment. The treatment has pretty much ended," he said in a story posted May 7.

Fawcett's cancer journey has been documented in a television special partly shot by the actress. Fawcett began shooting "Farrah's Story," by taking a camera to a doctor's appointment. Eventually, the film expanded to include trips overseas in hopes of treating the cancer.

Sad. Had this poster on my wall for years as a kid. RIP Angel.

farah_fawcett_poster.jpg

m3coolpix

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2007
Nothing like the icons of your childhood dying off to make you start feeling old.

Best wishes to her and her family!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
She wasn't shallow. She had some great roles later in her career, in films such as Extremities, and she was a pretty good sculptor as well.

We will miss you, Ms Farrah.

Not to mention The Burning Bed.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
She wasn't shallow. She had some great roles later in her career, in films such as Extremities, and she was a pretty good sculptor as well.

We will miss you, Ms Farrah.

Wasn't saying SHE was shallow as a person, but to have her as in icon might be perceived as shallow, purely on a celebrity basis (i.e. the poster).

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
Wasn't saying SHE was shallow as a person, but to have her as in icon might be perceived as shallow, purely on a celebrity basis (i.e. the poster).

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I'd say she was definitely an icon. A generation of boys had her poster on their walls and a generation of girls feathered their hair like she did. She was arguably the biggest sex symbol of the 70s.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'd say she was definitely an icon. A generation of boys had her poster on their walls and a generation of girls feathered their hair like she did. She was arguably the biggest sex symbol of the 70s.

Oh, I agree, and I have no problem saying she is an icon!
Just that some might see it as shallow to do so
I am not one of them

Her poster was many a boy's introduction into manhood ;)

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
:(

One of the 70's actress icons growing up for me. Farrah Fawcett from "Charlie's Angels" and Erin Gray from "Buck Rogers" ;)

I will always remember watching the shows live as broadcasted in "analog" :eek: on our brand spanking new 19" Magnavox Color TV!

Xfujinon

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
what is anal cancer -- besides the obvious. I've never heard of that before.

Cancer of the GI tract can occur along any point from mouth to anus. While colon cancers are the most commonly discussed, there are varieties of esophageal, stomach, pancreatic, liver, small intestinal, rectal, and anal cancers that can afflict people, albeit rarely.

Anatomically speaking, the anus is the terminal component of the rectum, the end of the large intestine. Due to the cellular populations of the anal canal being continually repopulated due to abrasive action, it is a possible (albeit not common) site for cancerous growth. Occasionally, it is treatable, but due to the location and the surrounding lymph drainage, metastasis is common.

This is a most unfortunate thing to hear about. I keep hoping every time a celebrity dies of a specific condition that awareness and public interest will spur additional therapeutic research to improve outcomes.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
Sad really. She carried herself with such class towards the end when I'm sure a lot of celebs would've hidden behind a blanket rather than broadcast her ordeal. She was perhaps my first introduction to 'the female poster' :eek:

Before that I'm sure it was all Sears catalog underwear section as a kid. :D

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
RIP. Just hope she really went to other side in peace, she deserved it after all she'd been through since 06.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Sad. Had this poster on my wall for years as a kid. RIP Angel.

farah_fawcett_poster.jpg
Sad, but expected with her cancer situation.

I understand she finally agreed to marry Ryan, but she died before they did their vows.

Always a little Jealous of the 6 Million Dollar Man. :eek:

And yes, I had that poster on my wall. Beautiful and classy lady.

RIP Farrah.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I feel sad that she had to pass away the same day as Jackson, because she deserves so much recognition.

RIP Farrah. May your suffering be over, but may your memory live on forever.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I feel sad that she had to pass away the same day as Jackson, because she deserves so much recognition.

RIP Farrah. May your suffering be over, but may your memory live on forever.
This is the way I feel, Farrah deserves the spot light one last time after her passing, Jacko once again over shadows even in death.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
35 some comments on this and 330 + comments on Jackson passing ... hrmmm I would have thought Farrah Fawcett dying would have generated more discussion. Goes to show the generation gap here. Well that and once more MJ takes the lead in press time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.