Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I made an app that is controlled by tabs and switches between a number of views. I am trying to make it select a tab when the user clicks a button. Is there a way to switch which tab is selected in code? Any help is appreciated.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
(After attempting to read the documentation...) I never understand the documentation, but thank you for your advice. I'd just like to know a simple command that sets which tab is selected.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Hopefully, eventually you will become comfortable enough with the concepts that the documentation is understandable. It really is a great resource. You may not always get the help you desire in a timely enough manner from these forums, especially if the answer is clearly in the documentation. And you may appear to be constantly taking from this community without much giving back. Just a heads-up.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
I never understand the documentation, but thank you for your advice. I'd just like to know a simple command that sets which tab is selected.

No; if you can't look up such a basic thing in what is frankly decent documentation, then find another job/hobby. Getting increasingly fed up with newbies who can't be bothered to RTFM and do a bit of learning for themselves.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Ok, jeez. I'm sorry I bothered you with a question I could have figured out myself. I'm just a beginner, and the apple documents are kind of complicated and difficult to understand to me. Sorry I bothered you!

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Ok, jeez. I'm sorry I bothered you with a question I could have figured out myself. I'm just a beginner, and the apple documents are kind of complicated and difficult to understand to me. Sorry I bothered you!

I'm perfectly willing and happy to help people as long as they make some kind of effort to help themselves. By your own admission you haven't even *bothered* to look at the documentation.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I'm just a beginner...
How much of a beginner are you? Are you comfortable with Objective-C and Xcode already? Have you had any previous programming experience? And have you read through the iPhone Application Programming Guide and the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines yet? Those documents are less technical but should provide you most of the basic concepts that you will want to understand.

drf1229

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
How much of a beginner are you? Are you comfortable with Objective-C and Xcode already? Have you had any previous programming experience? And have you read through the iPhone Application Programming Guide and the iPhone Human Interface Guidelines yet? Those documents are less technical but should provide you most of the basic concepts that you will want to understand.

I'm perfectly willing and happy to help people as long as they make some kind of effort to help themselves. By your own admission you haven't even *bothered* to look at the documentation.

All I know is a few other object oriented languages (javascript, Visual Basic, Javacode, and Php), I'm sort of comfortable with Objective -C and Xcode, but I don't know that much. The documentation provided by apple confuses me. I couldn't find what I was looking for in the documentation, so I asked if anybody could simply tell me how to do what I was trying to do. I obviously didn't look hard enough in the documentation...

drf1229

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
By the way, I did some more googling and ended up finding what I was looking for.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.