PDA

View Full Version : 2 airports 1 cable modem

IDANNY
May 26, 2004, 05:41 PM
I have 2 airports one graphite and one dual white one. Is there a way to make a big network by like combinding them. they are both non extreme. I have a cox cable modem that hookes up to the white one. the reason I want to do it is because the 1 airport dosent cover my whole house.

Thank you,....,.......

winwintoo
May 26, 2004, 05:52 PM
How big is your house? :o

I live on the 6th floor of a steel and cement apartment building and I can pick up my airport extreme down in the lobby - and that's with interference from several other wireless networks in the same building and on the street.

I don't know if the AEBS has a better range than the older ones but maybe that's not the problem. I can also get a clear signal on some other guy's Linksys router and he's definitely not on this floor - I've asked everybody.

Having said that, I must admit the whole thing is a mystery to me so I'll bow out and let more informed minds take over M

IDANNY
May 26, 2004, 05:57 PM
First i have a power ti witch get the worst signal. plus my house is pretty big

lind0834
May 26, 2004, 06:30 PM
I don't have a lot of real-time experience with the Aiport Hardware, but I'll assume that it's setup for Consumers so it probably lacks the feature to act as a signal repeater (I don't know if any wireless hubs can do that).

Basically you have 2 options.

Run Cat5 to the 2 furthest points in your house, and set up an Airport Base Station at each point. Set up a Router/Firewall at the Cable source, or maybe have one of your BaseStations do that. Then you can have the long long wires to where you want your BaseStations.

The other more problematic option.

Setup your Cable Modem to run to one Airport Base Station
Setup a computer at the furthest point you can get reception with an wireless card. Setup Internet Connection Sharing for the Ethernet Port and connect your second Base Station to that computer's Ethernet Port. I've only done Internet Connection Sharing a long time ago on a BSD box, but I assume you could do it with Windows, or OS X fairly easily.

Anybody else come up with anything?
Please correct me if I'm way off base.

trainguy77
Jul 1, 2004, 08:37 PM
I know it is possible to make airport extreme base stations run as repeater. I do not know if you can with yours. In your airport config program, is there a config mulitple button? This is how you do it with airport extreme.

iJon
Jul 1, 2004, 09:03 PM
just to get this option out of the way, you cannot bridge these base stations. bridging requires airport extreme or express.

iJon

Dreadnought
Jul 2, 2004, 04:56 AM
Aren't there external antenna's on the market for an airport? Didn't Belkin have this? Don't know for sure.

trainguy77
Jul 3, 2004, 02:59 PM
I have a atricle here from macworld, it shows you how to add a antenna to a snow (second-generation) airport. since there is no antenna port on the station. (extreme was the first to have this) I will look around online to see if i can find a copy of this article.

I am not certain if you would get the range you need to cover the rest of your house.

trainguy77
Jul 3, 2004, 03:07 PM
here it is! (http://www.macworld.com/2003/08/features/doityourselfmac/)

A little down the page it is called "extend your airport range"

MontgomeryBurns
Jul 3, 2004, 05:03 PM
It seems like it would be less of a pain to just buy an airport express and bridge it with your existing AE basestation.