Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firecouch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
I just bought an iMac and my music software is for windows, so I installed windows and my presonus fire box's light is blue on mac which means it is working, and it's red on windows. What's wrong?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE: Bootcamp presonus help

RE:
"I just bought an iMac and my music software is for windows, so I installed windows and my presonus fire box's light is blue on mac which means it is working, and it's red on windows. What's wrong?"

I have a Firebox as well, with an iMac running under the Mac OS (but not Windows).

I'm going to _guess_ that the "blue" indication means the Firebox is both connected _and_ is receiving Firewire bus power.

I just experimented with my own iMac/Firebox as such:
- I have my iMac plugged into a power strip which is turned on.
- The iMac is powered down.
- I plugged in the Firebox (the Firebox is NOT providing its own power)
- Interestingly, the Firebox' LED first glows blue, but then turns to red.
This suggests to me that even though it is powered down, the Mac is still providing _some_ kind of power to its firewire ports, which is "waking up" the Firebox.
- However, because the Mac is powered down, the proper "handshake" between the Firebox and the iMac isn't established, and the Firebox goes into some kind of "idle" mode.
- Turn the iMac ON, and the Firebox light changes from red back to blue about the time that the Finder loads.

I will guess that whichever way you have Windows installed (running under Bootcamp vs. running under Parallels or Fusion), it isn't providing Firewire bus power, or, isn't activating the Firewire ports at all. Could it be some kind of issue with the version of Windows that you installed not having the proper drivers for firewire?

Important question:
What application are you using on the Windows side of things for music?

Perhaps you ought to consider sidestepping to an equivalent _Mac_ music app.

I would reckon that once you do, you'll find things a lot easier. Isn't that why you got the iMac in the first place?

You might also raise the question at the Presonus forums:
http://www.presonus.com/forums

- John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.