PDA

View Full Version : Does Apple verify that you're a student to get the Student Discount?

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 09:38 PM
And if so, what kind of proof do you have to show?

thanks

MacDawg
Jun 25, 2009, 09:39 PM
Yes
Student ID

Woof, Woof - Dawg http://homepage.mac.com/k.j.vinson/pawprint.gif

Apple all life
Jun 25, 2009, 09:41 PM
unless it is online

spaceboots06
Jun 25, 2009, 09:42 PM
unless it is online

Apparently there's like a x in y chance that they somehow make sure you're a student. Can't verify this but I read it on here.

ashjamben
Jun 25, 2009, 09:42 PM
yes, some sort of student ID.

when i got mine i was only at college (FE) so didn't get as good a discount as university (HE). but, i went with my girlfriends brother who although dropped out of university still had a valid student ID. so i got full HE discount, which means they don't actually verify they are actually students.

damnyooneek
Jun 25, 2009, 09:45 PM
student id or the email domain name on your email if you order online

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 09:46 PM
I don't start college until this Fall. Will an acceptance letter work?

JasonR
Jun 25, 2009, 09:47 PM
I ordered my first MBP online and they didn't check or ask for it. I just bought 2 MBPs at the Apple Store and I was never required to show Student ID.

lavinci
Jun 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
Acceptance letter will work along with government ID. I tried it like that too, they asked for my license

Shawny D
Jun 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
Yep. Apple has me log into my school's individual Educational Store site using my Student ID.

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 09:49 PM
Can I also get it tax free (as long as i order online SC's tax-free holiday Aug. 7) and with a free iPod on the same invoice?

Gen
Jun 25, 2009, 09:50 PM
Just purchase everything online; they don't check.

hamish5178
Jun 25, 2009, 09:54 PM
I showed the store employee an acceptance email, that worked (he may have asked for my ID).

However when I returned the AluMB I got credit on an Apple card, and spent it online. I didn't need a student ID or anything to get into my school's Apple store. . .

grassfeeder
Jun 25, 2009, 10:01 PM
I'm 31 years old and long out of school.....I walked in asking if they would match the 'online' student offer as I was hoping to avoid shipping and of course they said "yes" - i just played dumb and I was asked for my student ID and or something else when I went to check out. I simply said I won't have it until August - I was simply asked if I "promise" I was going to school....Um, of course! :D Needless to say I walked out with a new MBP and 8 gig iTouch.

However, online i was just asked to select my "school" and it never had me verify anything....

rgarjr
Jun 25, 2009, 10:06 PM
Nice bro.

In order to get the free iTouch do u need to purchase the Mac and the the Itouch at the same time or can you get a Mac and then ipod like a week later?

supermac1
Jun 25, 2009, 10:18 PM
Do you need to send in proof for the itouch rebate?

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 10:20 PM
Do you need to send in proof for the itouch rebate?

Yes. You mail them the UPC barcode from the box plus an invoice that proves you bought the itouch and the computer at the same time.

supermac1
Jun 25, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yes. You mail them the UPC barcode from the box plus an invoice that proves you bought the itouch and the computer at the same time.

But no student id proof right?
I'm a high school student so..

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 10:23 PM
http://images.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS09_TermsConditions-US_v4.pdf

The envelope must contain the completed rebate form, a receipt showing all eligible purchases, and your UPC labels.

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 10:27 PM

They probably won't ask for proof. But if they do, your student ID counts as proof.

supermac1
Jun 25, 2009, 10:28 PM
They probably won't ask for proof. But if they do, your student ID counts as proof.

Technically high school students dont get discounts, only teachers. But my school is listed, so I can play dumb :P

Walt Dizzle
Jun 25, 2009, 10:33 PM
:P :apple:

rgarjr
Jun 25, 2009, 10:45 PM
Is it mandatory to buy the Mac and the Ipod at the same time or can you buy the Mac first and then little later the ipod?

Anyone done this?

She
Jun 25, 2009, 10:51 PM
same time

Apple Computers and qualifying iPod models must be purchased at the same time and on the same receipt

and I didn't mail anything in, just submitted the rebate online (I purchased the items in person at the Apple store)

lavinci
Jun 25, 2009, 10:55 PM
You only need the mail the UPC code if the purchase is made at an apple retail campus store. If you bought it online or at a regular apple store, then the proof of purchase is the receipt as stated in the ToC.

Jongewehr
Jun 25, 2009, 11:13 PM
im was home schooled when i got my MBP, an i left my papers in the car, an i told the guy im a student for homeschool an that i left the papers , an he gave it to me. (to walk about would be like 15-20 mins, (big mall)

She
Jun 25, 2009, 11:21 PM
Since we are talking about the education discount, does anyone know what Apple defines as an academic year?

I just bought a new computer this month (summer semester), could I buy another one in September?

Ljohnson72
Jun 25, 2009, 11:26 PM
At my university UCSD, they don't check when you buy any products if you're a student or not. Not sure if all colleges are like that though.

gillboyswims96
Jun 25, 2009, 11:28 PM
when i ordered my macbook i got the discount... and im not in college :p

but my mom works at one so if we had to... haha

UltraNEO*
Jun 25, 2009, 11:38 PM
And if so, what kind of proof do you have to show?

thanks

I think it depends where you are...

In the UK, online ordering with student discount needs to be performed behind the universities firewall, or on one of their campuses.

Also, the patron needs to be in possession of a valid student ID card from one of the qualifying colleges or universities to obtain the maximum discount when in-store; however not all colleges qualify - they have a list.

Dr.Pants
Jun 25, 2009, 11:52 PM
At my university UCSD, they don't check when you buy any products if you're a student or not. Not sure if all colleges are like that though.

Same here at my podunk community college - SVC, has only Mac software, but they pretty much never check for identification, even for the newer Photoshop Extended.

when i ordered my macbook i got the discount... and im not in college :p but my mom works at one so if we had to... haha

ERROR: CONTEXT

...In the UK, online ordering with student discount needs to be performed behind the universities firewall, or on one of their campuses....

Brutal; however, this is probably the best way to do it. While slightly OT, I have to do that for EBSCOhost and other scientific journals, and it gets to be a real drag :mad:

Back OT, in the U.K., (just curious) with online ordering, does the university act as a proxy like the case for my journals if one is ordering off-campus?

zflauaus
Jun 25, 2009, 11:56 PM
If you are enrolled in dual credit at a local college and you don't have an ID, you can use a transcript of your current courses you are enrolled in dual credit. That's how I got my discount on my MBP. Otherwise, high school students don't regularly get a discount.

Firefly2002
Jun 26, 2009, 12:36 AM
I don't start college until this Fall. Will an acceptance letter work?

No. Everyone hates freshman.