Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thepannist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Hey everyone. I just moved into a house with a Netgear wireless (802.11g) router, and I would like to set up my MDD Dual 867. My options are:

Get an airport card (802.11b) and use the internal antenna to connect to the network. The problem is that I will be using b when I could be using g.

Get a PCI based 802.11g card with an external antenna. That will be great because I can fully use the g network. The problem is that i don't know how well it would work with its antenna compared to the airport.

So, do I buy the airport card, or some other PCI card?

Also, if I went with the airport card, how good is the reception using the computer I described?

Thanks!

Chris

zulgand04

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2002
Northborough, MA
Hi, i would go with the wireless g card, i mean you would take full advantage of the network which even if you don't fully use it now you may like to have it in the future. Now the diffrence in signal strength im not sure since i've never had one in a tower, but i think they would be comparable or the pci card might even out perform but thats just my opion. I hope this helped you out.

-Neal

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
Just in-case you didn't think about this

If you're not putting that computer too far you can just use the gig-e. just an option

thepannist

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
mikeyredk said:
Just in-case you didn't think about this

If you're not putting that computer too far you can just use the gig-e. just an option

Yeah, I am on the bottom floor of a 3 story house and the router is on the top floor. Wireless will be easier (although, I am a little worried about signal strength).

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
I would just go with the Airport card. Unless you are transfering Files, Or have a super faster internet, You won't be able to tell the difference between B, and G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.