PDA

View Full Version : iPod USB 2.0

jmsait19
May 26, 2004, 10:19 PM
I ordered an iPod with my powerbook during the student deal so I recieved a big rebate and all. This was back at the end of September 2003. Anyways, do all iPods come with a USB connector. Mine has the dock-to-FireWire cable, but not all of my computers have a FireWire port so I need a way to connect USB. I'm 99% sure that I didn't recieve one with my iPod. Did anyone else? For people who bought them for PC's, how did they get a USB dock cable? Am I missing something here?

Billicus
May 26, 2004, 10:57 PM
Hopefully this will be helpful. :)

When Apple sold iPods that were specifically designed for Windows, they included a USB 2.0 cord in the box. Since then, however, they have moved to having the iPod be compatible with either platform out of the box. To use the iPod / iPod Mini with a USB 2.0 port on the computer, you will have to buy this. (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70202/wo/2l2GhE322zCi3d6knh02B1XFwws/2.3.0.5.10.3.12.1.13.0) It says it is for the Windows PC, but with Mac OS X 10.3.4, (http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macosxupdate_10_3_4.html) you can also use this cord to sync your iPod(s) with Mac OS X & iTunes via USB 2.0 (if avaliable on your Mac.)

FuzzyBallz
May 27, 2004, 12:15 AM
LOL, I love how people always give you a link when after 5 minutes -

Your session has timed out after a period of inactivity. Please return to the Store Menu to continue shopping.

There are questions that can be easily answered w/ a little browsing at the source site. In this case, the Apple iPod (http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html) page. Only Mini iPod comes w/ both USB 2.0 and Firewire cables. Look for the USB 2.0 + FireWire Cable for your iPod under Options & Accessories.

Koodauw
May 27, 2004, 12:38 AM
In short, Regular 3G iPod, not USB, unless you buy the cable.

iPod Mini, Comes with USB 2 Cable.

johnnyjibbs
May 27, 2004, 08:20 AM
Because Apple invented FireWire, the iPod has had a preference towards FireWire. Apple then caved in and put USB 2.0 compatibility in all its machines starting with the G5 last summer and everything else later that year. It was stupid really.

However, a lot of PCs still don't come with a FireWire port so, to make it easier, Apple allowed USB 2.0 compatibility for Windows only on the iPod. However, finally Apple has seen sense and allowed Mac users a choice.

But you're right - the USB 2 cable is not included with the regular iPod (only the iPod mini). This is presumably as it would increase the price of each unit sold. A better option maybe for them to give the customer a choice of cable at the time of purchase.

You'll have to buy it. My brother currently has the same problem, until he may get an iBook later this year.

jxyama
May 27, 2004, 08:44 AM
Because Apple invented FireWire, the iPod has had a preference towards FireWire. Apple then caved in and put USB 2.0 compatibility in all its machines starting with the G5 last summer and everything else later that year. It was stupid really.

well, that and the fact initially, USB2.0 was hardly available on PCs. it was stupid of apple to hold back on adopting USB2.0 once it became widespread but until that time, apple did the right thing by using firewire. one of the selling points of iPod at first was the fact with firewire, you can download an entire CD's worth of mp3s in less than 10 seconds. you couldn't do that with USB1.

t300
May 27, 2004, 11:52 AM
This is what I did...

Went to Target, bought the USB 2.0 + FireWire Cable, took it home, hooked it up, put the firewire cable that came with the iPod back into the box, returned it back to Target and said that it didn't work... :)

jxyama
May 27, 2004, 11:57 AM
This is what I did...

Went to Target, bought the USB 2.0 + FireWire Cable, took it home, hooked it up, put the firewire cable that came with the iPod back into the box, returned it back to Target and said that it didn't work... :)

nice to publically (but fairly anonymously) admit that you are a thief... :rolleyes:

t300
May 27, 2004, 01:05 PM
No, it was accidently returned...I didn't realize until I went to dock my iPod later..

jmsait19
May 27, 2004, 01:09 PM
I have a PC that has music that I want to transfer, thats the only reason I would need one. Thanks for answering my question as always.