Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

galopagos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
Hello,

I am submitting the picture below to some rumor sites, especially since apple blacklisted you folks. This is a video capture from a cheap panasonic camcorder an apple friend of mine has. It features a 23 inch cinema display next to a g4 that looks slightly different from the normal dual-gig cases. It seems to be more white, and the apple on the side is smaller (kinda looks metallic too).

I am submitting this cause i'd people's opinions on this, if its real or not. the resolution isnt very high (probably due to the pisspoor quality of the walmart-reject panasonic camcorder), and i dont know why the keyboard is missing. other than that, i do not see and photoshopping or other artifacts that would prove it a fake at all.

anyone?

Attachments

• cap_0012.jpg
    cap_0012.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 4,804

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
I don't see anything new about it. Maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

And the set up looks like some sort of Expo demo station. I doubt it's from the floor of MWNY 2002, since it's still 10 days away, so my guess is that this is just footage from the last Expo.

Or maybe it's from an Apple Store. Either way, I doubt it's anything new. Did your friend say where he got the shot from?

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Is that how big the 23 inch display really is? Why the :eek: do I still have a lame 20 inch CRT TV? :D

Personally, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was real or not, because of the photo. But since you said it yourself...it's a poor quality shot...I won't trash it that poorly. But I can't tell the difference between the current models and the one described from the photo.

Besides, I am guessing, along with a few other rumor pics that popped up a while back, that IF a new G4 case was coming it would have more of an Xserve tone color to it. :cool:

galopagos

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 7, 2002
about the photo above

I agree that it isnt changed much... and my friend just sent this to my email with "hey you can send this to too many people" type of email.

I dont see the big deal, xserve-style would be cooler than this, but this is a slightly different design. The apple on the dual 800 at my work is the big, dark grey logo. This is much smaller and sninier. The speaker seems to glow, or is white, which would be consistant with current speculation.

Also, i do not see the screws on the four corners of the side of the case. or the handle for opening the case.

I'll try to get more info if my friend isnt already being questioned by the department of apple secutiry ;-)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Here is why I don't buy the white speaker rumor.

If you have noticed the line of products for the iBook, iMac and iPod, they are basically white. Notice that they are all part of the "i"-line. If there were white Pro Speakers with a PowerMac, which is not part of the "i"-line of products, then I would think the PowerMac doesn't stand out from the rest of the products.

What I am more interested in seeing are either more powerful speakers, or multiple better speakers.

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
call me crazy but i do believe this is an authentic photo...

i have a quicksilver in my room and no matter what angle i look at it the speaker doesn't even look like that shade of white and the apple on the side is a bit different (it does look like it's chrome)

the most noticeable difference on this case in the photo is the lack of screws on the sides

i was hoping for some more differences but this seems like a realistic change since the g5 will debut within the next year

i hope steve has some more exciting announcements for :)... this won't be enough for many people

kishba

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2001
Michigan
you're also right about the missing handle... it should be on that side... i wonder what's up with that??

Bradcoe

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2002
Northeast U.S.
It's fake. Heres why

The photo is taken of a setup that exists in Apple Retail stores. I've used the Dual 1Ghz next to a 23" LCD and the LCD is on the right of the tower, and they sit on a display/cabinet against the wall like that. The camera either used a whitening of some sorts on the photo, or photoshop/similar program was used to turn silver portions white (hence the speaker is white and the rest of the photo is so bright/white). I'm not saying there won't be a case redesign shown at MWNY 2002, but this isn't one of them.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
I think you'll probably find that it's a genuine photo - of an existing Power Mac setup. And this is my reasoning...

Galopagos is right - it's not the best picture in the world, as it's a still from a camcorder image. The "jaggies" are prominent around the edges, meaning it's a low resolution image dump. You would also find that the chroma and black levels of the image are far too high as well, giving that washed-out appearance. If it IS an el-cheapo camcorder (as the picture suggests), then it would also be a single-chip CCD unit, and therefore, the camera does not handle light very well. Since the Mac is sitting on what appears to be a photographic lightbox display, the reflected light from the flouroescent tubes in the table onto the shiny case and metallic parts of the Power Mac case give the impression of a tower with "white" appendages.

Lastly - do you really think that Apple would release a Tower case so similar in design to it's older units?

No - neither do I...

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
now, let's take a closer look at that thing: :D

Attachments

• quicksilver_mod.jpg
    quicksilver_mod.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 4,427

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
I don't think that Apple has ever released that minor an update to the cases. The only case updates that I know of were G3 Blue & White, G4 Graphite and G4 Quicksilver. I really don't think they would even bother with something as minor as described.

Eliot

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2002
Longboat Key, Florida
It's not only that. You're right, but I think the real key is that, if the CPU etc upgrades are less than stellar, the casework is going to have to help sell the towers, so it'd likely be far more radical .:(

jaykk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2002
CA
i agree, it has to be more radical .. similar to Cube

Apple has to beat its own Cube for next version.. Its sad that Apple has to rely on case deisgn to sell more systems.. Revive AIM and give us a fast processor or create a new alliance with AMD..

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Ok, first~ enough with the AMD alliance or go back to your Star Wars world and debate it with Chewbacca!

Second~ No Artifacts ? - That whole picture is one big Artifact!

Oh the rumors are LOW this year,,LOL

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Yeah the rumors are incredibly uninspiring this year. Either Apple's doing a bang-up job squelching potential leaks or people are just bored. Apple definitely needs to spice things up a bit at the MWNY, if only to help the bottom line.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
i think it looks real, whatever it is. it could be from the coming MWNY but i don't know how much they would have setup already. regardless, it looks real and the case does appear to be very different than the current ones. maybe this is some clever piece of disinformation from Apple just to throw us off the scent.

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
By the way...

I guess one thing is almost for sure.

The next Kexboard and Mouse will be white! You remember the screenshots of Jaguar? There is a screenshot of the system preferences panel and the mouse symbol is not black anymore, it is white!!!

So I think that the major color will be white, and not only for the iMac/eMac line. Since the keyboard always matches with the case design, I am pretty sure about that.

The posted picture seems to be fake. I don't see why Apple should make it more difficult to maintain the tower, by leaving away the screws and the handle to open the case. And also the white speaker in the Quicksilver case looks too cheap as this could be a serious approach to a re-design of the current enclosures.

I could imagine that they keep the enclosures of the Quicksilver line, BUT...

1) everything that is in silver now will be snow white, also the front,
2) the Apple logo will be chrome,
3) the speaker will be white as well,
4) they will give the opportunity to use a second optical drive (5.25") inside.

That's all. Really new enclosures will come with the G5. But that way they will stop to make an optical difference between the pro and the consumer line. If they want to attract PC dudes, they are used to towers and if they don't get a tower they are not interested. But as long as Apple tells them indirectly what they have to buy (You want to use the Mac at home... then buy an iMac!) it won't work for all of the "switchers"!

Also for companies it doesn't make sense anymore, since a lot of them probably would buy some eMacs or iMacs for office work and towers for the real workload. But at the moment you have two different designs that don't get along very well. A Quicksilver besides an iMac doesn't give you the feeling that it looks good together.

Just my 2 cents...

:D

groovebuster

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
good point. and potential "switchers" are familiar with beige boxes and the all white color scheme is close to that but still has the right amount of Apple style. i wouldn't be surprised if the whole line is white except the XServe. maybe even a white Powerbook? not white plastic but a white metal, like a painted TiBook. That would be cool.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
I don't see anything different in the picture...looks like the same thing we already have...

but I must say that the 23" Cinema Display makes the box look tiny! :D

groovebuster

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2002
3rd rock from the sun...
Originally posted by tjwett
maybe even a white Powerbook? not white plastic but a white metal, like a painted TiBook. That would be cool.

Hmmm... I don't think so.

1) To put any kind of "paint" on Titanium is anything but easy,

2) The design of a laptop is independent from a "normal" desktop computer. Other manufacturers have very often black laptops, even their desktop PCs are gray or beige or whatever...

But who knows?

groovebuster

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
I can't see all the quadrants (except the Xserve) going white. Right now there is an excellent contrast between PRO-Graphite and CONSUMER-White products. I could see a PowerMac that was white with metallic highlights, or vice versa, however, I would bet that Apple is going to maintain the color distinction. Just my 2 cents,

Bill

kevinibook

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2002
Geneva ,Switzerland
That's quite true. I don't see any PowerMac becoming white or even the TiBook. That would look REALLY ugly on them. And as billiam0878 said, it would show a distinct difference between Pro & Consumer.
Just a little afterthough:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.