Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wp00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Hi everybody!
Does anyone know if Apple is planning to upgrade ipod touch with a GPS locator in the 3rd generation?

Thanks

jackiecanev2

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2007
Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Perhaps, but I would think not: that is a size bump and a cost bump that has very little functionality; without a consistant data connection (and who can hop wifi like that when they're moving) gps seems silly. It could only be used as a locator, and only if the user is on wifi. Some apps could use this, but on the whole it doesn't seem like a good trade off.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
I don't think they'll include it on the 3rd generation.

However just as a correction, GPS does NOT require a constant data connection. How do you think GPS systems in cars work? There are no Wi-Fi hotspots or cell signals in the middle of nowhere, yet the GPS works. The chip inside the device communicates with the satellite to find your position. So an iPod Touch could have a fully functional GPS, I just don't think it will, at least not yet.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Storing the map data would take a couple of gigabytes, so if the new iPod Touch has 32 gig memory it could be done. However, I think you'd be better off with a freestanding GPS. There's no need for wi-fi.

Appdict

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
Pennsylvania
iPod touches can't keep a constant connection to internet once they're out of range of said base-station. The iPhone's use constant connections to 3 main cellular networks, 3G, Edge, and GPRS. This is mainly why we pay monthly fees, to gain this unreal network onto our devices. iPod touches would need a monthly plan to get a constant network connection, which is basically pointless.

I may be totally off, if so then ignore me. Just a thought.

Edit: I did forget, maybe this could work if Apple sent up a satellite. But really, why would they? :rolleyes:

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
iPod touches can't keep a constant connection to internet once they're out of range of said base-station. The iPhone's use constant connections to 3 main cellular networks, 3G, Edge, and GPRS. This is mainly why we pay monthly fees, to gain this unreal network onto our devices. iPod touches would need a monthly plan to get a constant network connection, which is basically pointless.

I may be totally off, if so then ignore me. Just a thought.

Edit: I did forget, maybe this could work if Apple sent up a satellite. But really, why would they? :rolleyes:

Well, Wi-Fi and/or cell networks can help make the GPS information more refined or update faster. But the bottom line is if the iPhone, like any GPS device, was out of range of any kind of communications signal (like cell networks), the GPS would still work.

And as for a satellite, Apple doesn't need to send one up there. Neither did Tom Tom. Or any GPS company for that matter. The satellites are already up there, and were sent up there by the United States government. They are open for anyone to use. Any GPS device you buy gets its location information from the government satellites.

Schrute

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
Well, Wi-Fi and/or cell networks can help make the GPS information more refined or update faster. But the bottom line is if the iPhone, like any GPS device, was out of range of any kind of communications signal (like cell networks), the GPS would still work.

And as for a satellite, Apple doesn't need to send one up there. Neither did Tom Tom. Or any GPS company for that matter. The satellites are already up there, and were sent up there by the United States government. They are open for anyone to use. Any GPS device you buy gets its location information from the government satellites.

This is true, except the map data would have to be stored locally on the device. GPS applications for mobile phones like Google Maps pull the map data in real time from the cell network. Standalone GPS units (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) store the map data locally.

sportsfrk214

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2007
This is true, except the map data would have to be stored locally on the device. GPS applications for mobile phones like Google Maps pull the map data in real time from the cell network. Standalone GPS units (Garmin, TomTom, etc.) store the map data locally.

True as well. Any GPS application though that comes from the App Store will have the data stored locally since they can't use the Google Maps for it. A major GPS unit provider (I think TomTom) announced that their application will host the map data locally, at just over a gig or so. So the iPod Touch could very easily function as a GPS device, you would just need to sacrifice the storage space for the maps. Although as you said it may not work in Google Maps, you would probably have to get a third party app from the App Store.

Although I still think you won't see this feature on a Touch until the 4th generation at the earliest, possibly never.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
How many times are people going to ask this? My question for the day; will the iPod touch 3g solve world hunger and bring peace?! Please apple put this in the 3g itouch!!!! Thnxzz!!!!!1 now let's get real.....

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
True as well. Any GPS application though that comes from the App Store will have the data stored locally since they can't use the Google Maps for it. A major GPS unit provider (I think TomTom) announced that their application will host the map data locally, at just over a gig or so. So the iPod Touch could very easily function as a GPS device, you would just need to sacrifice the storage space for the maps. Although as you said it may not work in Google Maps, you would probably have to get a third party app from the App Store.

Although I still think you won't see this feature on a Touch until the 4th generation at the earliest, possibly never.

Actually I believe it will work in Google Maps.

I have an iPod touch and Maps works with out me connected to Wifi.
I just pre-visited the places where I go frequently and the places have already been downloaded onto maps. So i can find and view my current location currently with my 1G iPod touch. Even thought I need an internet connection to obtain directions and this is not very realistic. It is plausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.