Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Sprint Directly Targeting iPhone and AT&T in New Palm Pre Ad

PreThinking points out a new print ad posted to Sprint's Facebook page that directly targets iPhone customers on AT&T whose original two-year contracts are just now expiring.

The ad touts the Pre's ability to run multiple applications at the same time and Sprint's claim that users can save $1200 over two years by switching from AT&T. The $1200 savings is based on Sprint's $99.99/month unlimited "Simply Everything" plan when compared to AT&T's total charge of $149.99/month for unlimited calling ($99.99), data ($30.00), and text messaging ($20.00).

115956-sprint_pre_ad.jpg

Article Link: Sprint Directly Targeting iPhone and AT&T in New Palm Pre Ad

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
The price difference in the plans is their only hope. The Pre isn't a better device than the iPhone. Palm's apps will improve over time, but Apple won't be standing still waiting for them to catch up.

ResEvilG4

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2009
Tempting

I just wish Apple would leave AT&T. I think they have dropped the ball hard core on the whole MMS and Tethering thing. If I can have unlimited tethering on a pre for $99, thats a little tempting...

AT&T is killing me with their slow technology updates 2011 before they even start turning on 4G. . . Weak sauce boys, weak sauce!

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
I've been hands on with the Pre and their Service.

The Service is lower priced but the network isn't as far reaching as AT&T. That's important.

The Pre doesn't have the ease of usability that the iPhone has. The look and experience is what makes the iPhone so attractive. My 3 year old kids to my computer illiterate grandparents navigate the iPhone with ease. I can't say the same for the Pre especially since it's smaller. I had difficulty navigating.

The experience isn't anything like the iPhone which isn't comparable.

Give an iPhone user a Pre for a day and they are lost. Give a Pre user an iPhone for a day and they wonder why they bought a Pre.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
I think it's a clever ad, but I'm not sure it'll hit the right note with the iPhone owners they're targeting. Those with expiring contracts tended to be hardcore Apple users who bought the 2G with no subsidy. Are they really going to balk at that price difference?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I were Sprint, I'd give it a shot too, but it may be the wrong approach.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
I would switch to Sprints service in a heartbeat over AT&T. Better plan rates and I had way better service in the Los Angeles area. But I prefer my Iphone over the Pre. If only sprint could support it.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Att

At&t is the weak link in this whole equation- Really with the iPhone being updated on a yearly basis they need to rethink their subsidary policies... but here isn't the place to rant.

I just hope the FCC opens it up so we can use the iPhone to the full extent it's capable of.

Maybe At&t needs to see the pre's success to light the fire under their butts.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
- Funny they mention the 4G network, and show a phone that can't use it
- How many iPhone users do pay 150 USD/mth with AT&T? How many people do need "unlimited" calling and "unlimited" text messages? I talk less than 100 minutes a month and have not sent a single text message in my life. For me it would be 70 USD here and 70 USD there, just no roll-over minutes and free WiFi there. The iPhone is easier to use, has far more apps, a bigger screen, is less clunky, has 2-4 times the storage capacity and it works internationally... and no need to rely on Sprint's world-class customer service, that causes more than one million customers to run away per quarter.

johnntd

macrumors member
May 22, 2009
I would switch to Sprint too only if

I would switch to Sprints service in a heartbeat over AT&T. Better plan rates and I had way better service in the Los Angeles area. But I prefer my Iphone over the Pre. If only sprint could support it.
they have the iphone. The Pre is not even in the same class with the iphone. It is way beneath it as I have time to play with the Pre for a few hours. It's better than the blackberry I would say but that's all.

marv08

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2009
I just hope the FCC opens it up so we can use the iPhone to the full extent it's capable of.

Even if they do something, they will certainly not force manufacturers to build different phones. The iPhone will not fully support 3G on T-Mobile, and it will not work on any other major network. It will only move to other networks, if that is what Apple wants.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Kudos to Sprint for finally growing a pair. I had Sprint for 10 years and despite all the naysayers they had excellent service overall, but suffered from a lack of phones and a severe lack of marketing. They are trendsetters in pricing, especially with their all inclusive plans and their data pricing. Speaking of which I sorely miss EVDO, 3G is very slow compared to it.

Competition is a great thing and hopefully things like this will spur ATT to consider the cost of their data plans and affect their pricing for things like tethering, which I'm afraid to even guess what the price will be for that.

csmitty

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
If it cost me $22 a month after tax then yea i might switch. Thats what 1200 over two years would bring me. I've never gone over anything so unlimited is pointless.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
Not sure how I would save 1200 over two years? I have two iPhone's, and on a family plan we pay about 130 bucks for both phones. It's not unlimited but we don't talk on our phones 10 hours a day either.

The ease of use and the applications Apple has will be tough for anyone to compete with anytime soon.

Sprint fails to mention their 4g network is in what Baltimore only? maybe Seattle now and is $80 bucks a month just for the data plan. Top that off with the fact the Pre cannot use the 4g network.

iPhone 3GS can use 7.2m HSDPA network, can the Pre? don't think so...

Running two applications at once? That is what your going to battle with over an iPhone? lol good luck Sprint.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
IF I needed an unlimited plan, then my phone service quality would be more important than saving $22 a month. IF I needed speed, then a nationwide G3 network would be more important that $22 a month. If I wanted lousy, rude customer service, then the $22 lower rate would be a bonus.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think it's a clever ad, but I'm not sure it'll hit the right note with the iPhone owners they're targeting. Those with expiring contracts tended to be hardcore Apple users who bought the 2G with no subsidy. Are they really going to balk at that price difference?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I were Sprint, I'd give it a shot too, but it may be the wrong approach.

Good point. I'm one of those early adopters of the 2G iphone, and that ad is really not speaking to me on a lot of points I care about.

Moreover, I think they're going after the wrong audience here. To the extent that they want to eat someone's lunch, eat RIM's. Palm is a brand that businesses trust, moreso than apple. So find those business people who want something more functional than a BB and go after them.

Or, don't try to eat anyone's lunch. Smartphones are 21% of the US cell phone market! And people who don't have smartphones often don't because they don't want the increased cost of a data plan - perfect group to sell Sprint's lower cost plans to.

I just don't see the sense in picking a fight with the company with the most innovative products and rabid fan base when there are TONS of soft targets around.

Not sure how I would save 1200 over two years? I have two iPhone's, and on a family plan we pay about 130 bucks for both phones. It's not unlimited but we don't talk on our phones 10 hours a day either.

Agreed. That number is very misleading. I don't know a single person who has or needs an unlimited-everything plan, and my understanding is that the difference is a lot less when you're talking about lower plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.