PDA

View Full Version : Sprint Directly Targeting iPhone and AT&T in New Palm Pre Ad

Goona
Jun 26, 2009, 10:54 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/26/sprint-takes-a-bite-out-of-the-apple-touts-innovative-pre-featu/

MacRumors
Jun 26, 2009, 11:02 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/26/sprint-directly-targeting-iphone-and-atandt-in-new-palm-pre-ad/)

PreThinking points out (http://www.prethinking.com/home/2009/6/26/sprint-throws-a-punch-at-the-iphone-and-att.html) a new print ad posted (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2081632&id=8389383510&ref=mf) to Sprint's Facebook page that directly targets iPhone customers on AT&T whose original two-year contracts are just now expiring.

The ad touts the Pre's ability to run multiple applications at the same time and Sprint's claim that users can save $1200 over two years by switching from AT&T. The $1200 savings is based on Sprint's $99.99/month unlimited "Simply Everything" plan when compared to AT&T's total charge of $149.99/month for unlimited calling ($99.99), data ($30.00), and text messaging ($20.00).

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/06/26/115956-sprint_pre_ad.jpg

Article Link: Sprint Directly Targeting iPhone and AT&T in New Palm Pre Ad (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/26/sprint-directly-targeting-iphone-and-atandt-in-new-palm-pre-ad/)

tobefirst
Jun 26, 2009, 11:02 AM
Not sure I'd call that "desperation" exactly.

mmzplanet
Jun 26, 2009, 11:04 AM
Bring it....

TheOrioles33
Jun 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
Clever picture though but not gonna happen! :)

diabolic
Jun 26, 2009, 11:10 AM
The price difference in the plans is their only hope. The Pre isn't a better device than the iPhone. Palm's apps will improve over time, but Apple won't be standing still waiting for them to catch up.

iGeRmAn
Jun 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately Palms timing wasn't that perfect for releasing the Pre.

dcanona
Jun 26, 2009, 11:17 AM
Just look at all that fine print!

fastbite
Jun 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
Not a chance.

ResEvilG4
Jun 26, 2009, 11:18 AM
I just wish Apple would leave AT&T. I think they have dropped the ball hard core on the whole MMS and Tethering thing. If I can have unlimited tethering on a pre for $99, thats a little tempting...

AT&T is killing me with their slow technology updates 2011 before they even start turning on 4G. . . Weak sauce boys, weak sauce!

jholzner
Jun 26, 2009, 11:22 AM
My contract is up on my 1st Gen iPhone but I just placed an order today for the 3GS. :)

reckless2k2
Jun 26, 2009, 11:23 AM
I've been hands on with the Pre and their Service.

The Service is lower priced but the network isn't as far reaching as AT&T. That's important.

The Pre doesn't have the ease of usability that the iPhone has. The look and experience is what makes the iPhone so attractive. My 3 year old kids to my computer illiterate grandparents navigate the iPhone with ease. I can't say the same for the Pre especially since it's smaller. I had difficulty navigating.

The experience isn't anything like the iPhone which isn't comparable.

Give an iPhone user a Pre for a day and they are lost. Give a Pre user an iPhone for a day and they wonder why they bought a Pre.

Ntombi
Jun 26, 2009, 11:27 AM
I think it's a clever ad, but I'm not sure it'll hit the right note with the iPhone owners they're targeting. Those with expiring contracts tended to be hardcore Apple users who bought the 2G with no subsidy. Are they really going to balk at that price difference?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I were Sprint, I'd give it a shot too, but it may be the wrong approach.

NinjaHERO
Jun 26, 2009, 11:28 AM
I would switch to Sprints service in a heartbeat over AT&T. Better plan rates and I had way better service in the Los Angeles area. But I prefer my Iphone over the Pre. If only sprint could support it.

Aldaris
Jun 26, 2009, 11:46 AM
At&t is the weak link in this whole equation- Really with the iPhone being updated on a yearly basis they need to rethink their subsidary policies... but here isn't the place to rant.

I just hope the FCC opens it up so we can use the iPhone to the full extent it's capable of.

Maybe At&t needs to see the pre's success to light the fire under their butts.

marv08
Jun 26, 2009, 11:48 AM
- Funny they mention the 4G network, and show a phone that can't use it
- How many iPhone users do pay 150 USD/mth with AT&T? How many people do need "unlimited" calling and "unlimited" text messages? I talk less than 100 minutes a month and have not sent a single text message in my life. For me it would be 70 USD here and 70 USD there, just no roll-over minutes and free WiFi there. The iPhone is easier to use, has far more apps, a bigger screen, is less clunky, has 2-4 times the storage capacity and it works internationally... and no need to rely on Sprint's world-class customer service, that causes more than one million customers to run away per quarter.

huntnboy04
Jun 26, 2009, 11:48 AM
well it is up, and I am switching to Sprint, but not to that piece of crap pre. I laughed when I felt that thing.

johnntd
Jun 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
I would switch to Sprints service in a heartbeat over AT&T. Better plan rates and I had way better service in the Los Angeles area. But I prefer my Iphone over the Pre. If only sprint could support it.
they have the iphone. The Pre is not even in the same class with the iphone. It is way beneath it as I have time to play with the Pre for a few hours. It's better than the blackberry I would say but that's all.

marv08
Jun 26, 2009, 11:51 AM
I just hope the FCC opens it up so we can use the iPhone to the full extent it's capable of.

Even if they do something, they will certainly not force manufacturers to build different phones. The iPhone will not fully support 3G on T-Mobile, and it will not work on any other major network. It will only move to other networks, if that is what Apple wants.

rdowns
Jun 26, 2009, 11:52 AM
I'm an iPhone.
I'm a Pre.

:D

spinedoc77
Jun 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
Kudos to Sprint for finally growing a pair. I had Sprint for 10 years and despite all the naysayers they had excellent service overall, but suffered from a lack of phones and a severe lack of marketing. They are trendsetters in pricing, especially with their all inclusive plans and their data pricing. Speaking of which I sorely miss EVDO, 3G is very slow compared to it.

Competition is a great thing and hopefully things like this will spur ATT to consider the cost of their data plans and affect their pricing for things like tethering, which I'm afraid to even guess what the price will be for that.

csmitty
Jun 26, 2009, 12:00 PM
If it cost me $22 a month after tax then yea i might switch. Thats what 1200 over two years would bring me. I've never gone over anything so unlimited is pointless.

bossxii
Jun 26, 2009, 12:09 PM
Not sure how I would save 1200 over two years? I have two iPhone's, and on a family plan we pay about 130 bucks for both phones. It's not unlimited but we don't talk on our phones 10 hours a day either.

The ease of use and the applications Apple has will be tough for anyone to compete with anytime soon.

Sprint fails to mention their 4g network is in what Baltimore only? maybe Seattle now and is $80 bucks a month just for the data plan. Top that off with the fact the Pre cannot use the 4g network.

iPhone 3GS can use 7.2m HSDPA network, can the Pre? don't think so...

Running two applications at once? That is what your going to battle with over an iPhone? lol good luck Sprint.

SandynJosh
Jun 26, 2009, 12:27 PM
IF I needed an unlimited plan, then my phone service quality would be more important than saving $22 a month. IF I needed speed, then a nationwide G3 network would be more important that $22 a month. If I wanted lousy, rude customer service, then the $22 lower rate would be a bonus.

QCassidy352
Jun 26, 2009, 12:41 PM
I think it's a clever ad, but I'm not sure it'll hit the right note with the iPhone owners they're targeting. Those with expiring contracts tended to be hardcore Apple users who bought the 2G with no subsidy. Are they really going to balk at that price difference?

Maybe I'm wrong, and if I were Sprint, I'd give it a shot too, but it may be the wrong approach.

Good point. I'm one of those early adopters of the 2G iphone, and that ad is really not speaking to me on a lot of points I care about.

Moreover, I think they're going after the wrong audience here. To the extent that they want to eat someone's lunch, eat RIM's. Palm is a brand that businesses trust, moreso than apple. So find those business people who want something more functional than a BB and go after them.

Or, don't try to eat anyone's lunch. Smartphones are 21% of the US cell phone market! And people who don't have smartphones often don't because they don't want the increased cost of a data plan - perfect group to sell Sprint's lower cost plans to.

I just don't see the sense in picking a fight with the company with the most innovative products and rabid fan base when there are TONS of soft targets around.

Not sure how I would save 1200 over two years? I have two iPhone's, and on a family plan we pay about 130 bucks for both phones. It's not unlimited but we don't talk on our phones 10 hours a day either.

Agreed. That number is very misleading. I don't know a single person who has or needs an unlimited-everything plan, and my understanding is that the difference is a lot less when you're talking about lower plans.

ryanw
The ad touts the Pre's ability to run multiple applications at the same time and Sprint's claim that users can save $1200 over two years by switching from AT&T. The $1200 savings is based on Sprint's $99.99/month unlimited "Simply Everything" plan when compared to AT&T's total charge of $149.99/month for unlimited calling ($99.99), data ($30.00), and text messaging ($20.00).

WOW! I'm an avid iPhone user, but honestly saving $600 a year is no freaking joke! That alone is almost enough to make me switch. Hopefully AT&T will respond. I have always felt the iPhone tax was highway robbery. $149.00 is a heavy charge.

Eminemdrdre00
I really wish the other carriers followed Sprint and included Unlimited Texts with their Unlimited Data plans!

brownieguy19
Jun 26, 2009, 12:42 PM

Couldn't have said it better myself. We, (those who have a 2 year contract expiring), paid $600 for an iPhone and disregarded cost/value for a smart phone. As an original 2G iPhone owner, I now am a part of the 1 million this past weekend to purchase a 3GS, and another 2 year contract with AT&T.

Sprint isn't going to convince those who got the iPhone early and paid the premium for it to switch on the premise they will be "saving money". Hell, before I switched to an iPhone, I was on the "Friends and Family Sprint Employee" plan. I paid $30 a month for 500 min, unlimited text/data/email/etc. I promise you I don't pay that for an iPhone!

theheadguy
Jun 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
...How many iPhone users do pay 150 USD/mth with AT&T? How many people do need "unlimited" calling and "unlimited" text messages? I talk less than 100 minutes a month and have not sent a single text message in my life. For me it would be 70 USD here and 70 USD there, just no roll-over minutes and free WiFi there. The iPhone is easier to use, has far more apps, a bigger screen, is less clunky, has 2-4 times the storage capacity and it works internationally...
This smells like a load of BS. What the hell are you doing with a phone then? Playing tic-tac-toe for $70/m? You sound like those people who thought the advent of unlimited dialup internet would lead to the destruction of traditional moral values and the last of Sunday family dinners. Lame.

QCassidy352
Jun 26, 2009, 12:50 PM
WOW! I'm an avid iPhone user, but honestly saving $600 a year is no freaking joke! That alone is almost enough to make me switch. Hopefully AT&T will respond. I have always felt the iPhone tax was highway robbery. $149.00 is a heavy charge.

Yes, but do you have an unlimited everything plan? Do you need one? I seriously can't understand how someone would, what with free in-network calling, nights and weekends, and IM and email supplementing SMS. I don't even use my measley 450 minutes/200 messages per month because of those factors.

kage207
Jun 26, 2009, 12:53 PM
Too bad I just upgraded yesterday. :p
Plus, I found the Pre to be a bit too choppy for my tastes.

Guys, I definitely don't see the iPhone dropping in price btw. Really, think about, ATT gets a "royalty charge" for every iPhone. For every iPhone AT&T, Apple makes about $500-$600. So AT&T sells it to you at $200 / $300 taking them a couple months to make the money back from the sale. Then the next couple months will be maintain networks, maintenance, research and development, and much more to keep them at a standard Apple wants them at. And in the end, they still need to pull a profit to make share holders happy. They need a lot of money to stay in business.

Do I think costs could be a little lower? Yah. I do. Mainly on SMS on the iPhone.

tyrnight
Jun 26, 2009, 12:55 PM
Sprint is advertising ALL OVER apple related sites

Ive noticed it Here and Apple Insider

Macnn As well.. WTF

I do have to say this.. I am an AVID apple fanboy and Own ALL three models of the Iphone, But I tried out the Pre and it was absolutely amazing.. I just couldnt see splitting off to Sprint as they Suck eggs

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 01:05 PM

iPhone Tax? They have the same rate plans it not matter of which phone you have.

BanditoB
Jun 26, 2009, 01:06 PM
The Pre looks to me to be a pretty well-designed and thought out smartphone, though I have yet to touch and play with one. That said, I think it's still destined for failure for the following reasons:

1) Sprint - they have enough issues of their own to cause problems and limit the sales and the appeal of the Pre. (And just how many people currently pay enough per month for their iPhone plan that they'd actually save the $1,200.00 figure touted by Sprint? I know that I certainly wouldn't).

2) Palm is just too late to the game. They generally started the smartphone market, but just as with their original PDAs, they didn't stay in the forefront and got passed rapidly by the other players. Because of this, many of the folks developing applications for their platforms have evaporated and Palm will have a difficult time getting them back. Without all the little apps that make the phone fun, truly useful, and totally customized the way each user wants it to be, Palm won't be able to generate enough momentum to sustain the Pre and make it a successful product.

It's really quite a shame, actually. Choice and new ideas are generally very good things. :)

Finally, as far as the iPhone not working fully with T-Mobile's 3G network, this is no big deal. With a bit of code tweaking for the transceivers in the iPhone, it could be up and fully functional on that network too. That's how they make it work on the rest of the world's networks. There's only two base requirements: first, it must be a GSM network; and second, it must operate in the four frequency bands covered by the iPhone, which pretty much covers them all.

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 01:10 PM
This smells like a load of BS. What the hell are you doing with a phone then? Playing tic-tac-toe for $70/m? You sound like those people who thought the advent of unlimited dialup internet would lead to the destruction of traditional moral values and the last of Sunday family dinners. Lame.

iPhone is more of a hand held computer then a phone. I use it way more for computing then talking.

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 01:13 PM
Yes, but do you have an unlimited everything plan? Do you need one? I seriously can't understand how someone would, what with free in-network calling, nights and weekends, and IM and email supplementing SMS. I don't even use my measley 450 minutes/200 messages per month because of those factors.

The plan is good for two groups. Teenagers and traveling salesmen.

Schtumple
Jun 26, 2009, 01:15 PM
I wish someone would do the same in the UK, O2s prices are ridiculously poor value for money.

marv08
Jun 26, 2009, 01:20 PM

Huh? I have a landline phone at home, a landline phone in the office (where I spend up to 70 hrs per week) and a dedicated GSM unit in my car. Night and weekend calls are free anyhow, so how could I possibly use more? Why would I deal with this text message crap if there is email? There is just no lower tariff.

No idea what this has to do with moral values or Sunday dinners though. As far as I am concerned, you can stick them...

Blue Fox
Jun 26, 2009, 01:34 PM
I find it humorous that other phone companies still think they can compete with the iPhone for what the iPhone does......

The ad says "The Palm Pre does things the iPhone can't". True. The iPhone can't run multiple apps, but it does so much more that the Pre can't......

The Pre can't access the App Store, iTunes Store, sync iTunes movie rental & purchases, connect to your factory "iPod-Ready" dock connector in your vehicle, download a vast library of games, etc. etc.

Apple needs to come out with a counter-ad or commercial showing what is BACKING the iPhone. Sure, when you compare the devices themselves, there are some things the Pre does that the iPhone can't.......BUT it's the innovoations that BACK the iPhone that make it as good as it is (iTunes, App Store, accessory market). THAT is why there is no "real" competitor for the iPhone.

raindog1978
Jun 26, 2009, 01:36 PM
The ad is either fake or Sprint needs a new agency. The rag & type break in the headline is *********. The apple/pre image is a poor photoshop mash up. Until I see this in print, I'm not buying it's real.

tbealmear
Jun 26, 2009, 01:47 PM
I love my iPhone and until some more carriers come into my city (AT&T is about it) I will be sticking with them. BUT, I hope soon that the iPhone will be available with some other carriers and those carriers come here ;) I just want 3G already!! Supposed to be done this summer. We will see...

rdowns
Jun 26, 2009, 01:56 PM
The ad is either fake or Sprint needs a new agency. The rag & type break in the headline is *********. The apple/pre image is a poor photoshop mash up. Until I see this in print, I'm not buying it's real.

Would have to be the latter. The ad is widely reported on and Sprint has posted it to their FB page.

mgamber
Jun 26, 2009, 01:56 PM

I burned through 2600+ text messages last month IN ADDITION TO several hundred email (because email does NOT supplant text messaging, nor picture messaging. No really, Apple and AT&T are the only things that believe they don't all exist to this day for a reason. Everyone else knows better) and I could easily use a ton of real unlimited data (as opposed to AT&T's definition of "unlimited") with Orb, MLB and Slingplayer. And that's nothing compared to my son. If AT&T actually offered unlimited everything, I'd sign up tomorrow! That's the only thing I really miss about Sprint..."unlimited" meant unlimited and I could use the apps I wanted to use in a way I found useful.

swajames
Jun 26, 2009, 01:58 PM
Some of you guys are missing the fact that it's AT&T and not Apple that Sprint is targeting here. AT&T is undoubtedly the weak link in the iPhone's ecosystem. And while the savings numbers are padded (though possible) their underlying point is a reasonable one - AT&T's plans are simply nowhere near as good as Sprint's. Sprint's coverage issues are a thing of the past, and their data network is solid.

twoodcc
Jun 26, 2009, 02:04 PM
this is why they won't beat apple. not with marketing like that

MacFly123
Jun 26, 2009, 02:06 PM
I am an iPhone! :D :apple:

I still need to go play with a Pre though, to get the firsthand experience, but there is no way I will be switching.

Oh ya, and all those original iPhone owners who's contracts are now up that were supposed to be switching to the Pre in "MASSES" as that Palm executive said.... Ya they all ordered iPhone 3G Ss already! :p

dukebound85
Jun 26, 2009, 02:08 PM
Bring it....

what are we? team Apple?

seriously:rolleyes:

theheadguy
Jun 26, 2009, 02:20 PM
iPhone is more of a hand held computer then a phone. I use it way more for computing then talking.
But it is indeed a phone. How could one not understand why some people would want over 1000 min/m or unlimited texting? How is that far fetched or hard to understand? It was already a couple years ago that mobile phones outnumbered traditional landlines home phones. People here should be happy Sprint offers $99 per year for unlimited EVERYTHING. Why is competition so bad here? The attitude reminds me of North Korea's. How dare Sprint speak out against the glorious iphone in ANY way or form-- fire the nukes at them! Wipe Sprint and others off the planet so ATT can jack the prices up even more-- only then will MR visitors be truly happy!

NinjaHERO
Jun 26, 2009, 02:38 PM
they have the iphone. The Pre is not even in the same class with the iphone. It is way beneath it as I have time to play with the Pre for a few hours. It's better than the blackberry I would say but that's all.

What do you mean they have the Iphone? Are you suggesting the Iphone works on Sprint? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

bytethese
Jun 26, 2009, 02:47 PM

I agree with the last guy. I use maybe 200min/month on my phone. I send the occasional text and sometimes I go over 200/mo but that's rare. I mostly use 3G data (Facebook, MR, web browsing, AIM, email, etc). My bill per month is about $85 AFTER taxes. So if I switched to Sprint, I'd have to shell out about an extra $683!

I guess that's what all that fine print on Sprint's ad is for. :P

bruinsrme
Jun 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
At&t is the weak link in this whole equation- Really with the iPhone being updated on a yearly basis they need to rethink their subsidary policies... but here isn't the place to rant.

Why is ATT the weak link?

Maybe if Apple didn't place so many restrictions on Verizon things woud have been different.
maybe apple will open up the iPhone so users can get more out of their phone instead of depending on jailbreaking.

Why should ATT change their subsidary prices/policy, apple sure as hell doesn't subsidize your cost in purchasing a new computer after they refresh their line up 1 year after you buy. :rolleyes:

csmitty
Jun 26, 2009, 03:09 PM
I agree with the last guy. I use maybe 200min/month on my phone. I send the occasional text and sometimes I go over 200/mo but that's rare. I mostly use 3G data (Facebook, MR, web browsing, AIM, email, etc). My bill per month is about $85 AFTER taxes. So if I switched to Sprint, I'd have to shell out about an extra $683!

I guess that's what all that fine print on Sprint's ad is for. :P

I'm in the same boat, and the person I used to talk to the most on Tmobile I don't talk to much anymore, so i might use 100mins. Mine is $72 after taxes :D
Why pay more for something I wouldn't use. But I guess thats just the rational people talk. I havn't even used iCall once.

cerote
Jun 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
Some of you guys are missing the fact that it's AT&T and not Apple that Sprint is targeting here. AT&T is undoubtedly the weak link in the iPhone's ecosystem. And while the savings numbers are padded (though possible) their underlying point is a reasonable one - AT&T's plans are simply nowhere near as good as Sprint's. Sprint's coverage issues are a thing of the past, and their data network is solid.

They target Apple in the second sentence, which is the one before they are even targeting ATT. The one where they say it can run multiple apps at once in real time.
I have 4 lines on my plan, 1 iPhone, and my bill is only 150$ a month. I have unlimited text and mms for all the lines. It doesn't bother my about unlimited minutes, everyone I talk to have ATT or they text.

Coverage with ATT works everywhere I go. I travel many times to Oklahoma, upstate New York, and Washington. Everywhere that I go the coverage is always there and in 3g.

iphones4evry1
Jun 26, 2009, 03:18 PM
I blame AT&T for charging so much per month. It's absolutely ridiculous. This advertisement goes to show that Sprint was able to do it for $1200 less. Note to AT&T: Adapt or become extinct.

After demo-ing a Pre, I have to say that although I like my iPhone3G better, especially with the App Store, iPod, bigger screen, and touch keyboard, the Pre can do a lot and in my opinion is the #2 smart phone on the market behind the iPhone. And I'm going to admit that there are some things it does just as good as the iPhone and one thing it does better (multiple apps open). In the end though, I still like my iPhone3G better.

New York Times FULL PAGE ad for Sprint Pre: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Palm-Pre-FullPage-Ad-Takes-A-siliconalley-2684132109.html?x=0&.v=4

ZacUSNYR
Jun 26, 2009, 03:20 PM
That pre looks like a cheap pile. I'd take the half eaten apple over the pre and throw it at the side of a sprint store door.

I had sprint/nextel. Never again.

AT&T and Verizon only from now on. I'll gladdy pay more a month.

bytethese
Jun 26, 2009, 03:36 PM
I blame AT&T for charging so much per month. It's absolutely ridiculous. This advertisement goes to show that Sprint was able to do it for $1200 less. Note to AT&T: Adapt or become extinct.

So since Sprint is using "fudged" numbers, AT&T has to adapt? Sprint should compare "Apples to Apples" so to speak. As I posted above, my AT&T plan would be about $683 less than what Sprint is touting. :)

Show me the Palm Pre's plan with minimal voice minutes and minimal texting plan along with unlimited data, then we'll see how far off the numbers are.

ryanw
Jun 26, 2009, 03:37 PM

Yah, you're not the targeted demographics for this. I use over 4500 minutes a month. unlimited everything is my only option.

iphones4evry1
Jun 26, 2009, 03:46 PM
Competition is a great thing and hopefully things like this will spur ATT to consider the cost of their data plans and affect their pricing for things like tethering, which I'm afraid to even guess what the price will be for that.

You are definitely right that competition is a good thing. But, with AT&T now having to deal with the extra bandwidth of Youtube video uploads, MMS by the "end of summer" (iPhone MMS supports video messaging on Apple's website), and possibly tethering in the future, adding more and more users, and having to upgrade to 7.2Mbps, I don't expect AT&T's data fees to be heading south any time soon. HOWEVER, what AT&T does need to do though is lower the VOICE fees. Most people today consume a lot more data and text msgs than voice minutes. The current system is disproportionate with reality and needs to be updated.

THIS IS WHAT THE FCC SHOULD BE LOOKING INTO!

SFStateStudent
Jun 26, 2009, 03:50 PM
Sprint is actually on to something; there's so many things the iPhone hasn't been able to do, such as cut & paste, MMS, tethering and drag & drop; (except for the cut & paste) after two YEARS!!! Let's give credit to Palm Pre for targeting AT&T & Apple....:eek::eek::eek:

iWork
Jun 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
AT&T has on numerous occasion revealed that iPhone 3G ARPU is north of $95. Essentially, the average AT&T iPhone 3G subscriber pays close to $100. Further benefit to AT&T is the fact that iPhone users exhibit less churn than their AT&T peers.

Sprint's service is certainly more affordable than AT&T's. Sprint's price to performance ratio is certainly far greater than AT&T's here in NYC. YMMV depending on Sprint's coverage in your area.

This ad is a shot at AT&T. The effect will however be minimal as polls have shown that iPhone users do not identify with AT&T, but with Apple.

bytethese
Jun 26, 2009, 03:54 PM
Yah, you're not the targeted demographics for this. I use over 4500 minutes a month. unlimited everything is my only option.

How long have you had your hack license? :)

eastercat
Jun 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
Hmm . . . the advertisement would be more compelling for me with the following:
Emphasize the ability to save money, no matter which plan is used. Because Sprint's basic voice+data plan also kicks in unlimited texts, that'd save $20/month (which is the price for AT&T's unlimited text plan). Personally, it'd save me the expense of being dinged for text messages, since I don't have a text messaging plan.
If they have a great network, emphasize that too. AT&T has one of the bigger networks. I perceive Sprint to have a smaller one that has less coverage. While one piece of advertisement can't convey that, repeating the message helps.

If they're smart, they'll have a series of advertisements. The general one and others that focus on specific features, related to the network, price, etc., but that's just my thoughts.
It's easy to picture one where there's text on the Pre that says something like "Free unlimited text messaging". The text would say, you can save up to $20/month on text messages with their included text messaging plan. For parents, this might be attractive--considering how much their little spawn like to text.

My $0.02.

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 04:19 PM
But it is indeed a phone. How could one not understand why some people would want over 1000 min/m or unlimited texting? How is that far fetched or hard to understand? It was already a couple years ago that mobile phones outnumbered traditional landlines home phones. People here should be happy Sprint offers $99 per year for unlimited EVERYTHING. Why is competition so bad here? The attitude reminds me of North Korea's. How dare Sprint speak out against the glorious iphone in ANY way or form-- fire the nukes at them! Wipe Sprint and others off the planet so ATT can jack the prices up even more-- only then will MR visitors be truly happy!

I have no issues with competition, I have had Sprint in the past. It was the worse of the three. And I have used all three. They have the worse coverage and more important they have the worst customer service. You get what you pay for in this case and I would love to see ATT lower their plans, but at this time they are not being forced too...

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 04:20 PM

After demo-ing a Pre, I have to say that although I like my iPhone3G better, especially with the App Store, iPod, bigger screen, and touch keyboard, the Pre can do a lot and in my opinion is the #2 smart phone on the market behind the iPhone. And I'm going to admit that there are some things it does just as good as the iPhone and one thing it does better (multiple apps open). In the end though, I still like my iPhone3G better.

New York Times FULL PAGE ad for Sprint Pre: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Palm-Pre-FullPage-Ad-Takes-A-siliconalley-2684132109.html?x=0&.v=4

I like to know, what have pre owners seen with battery life? Because this is the #1 reason Apple isn't doing multitasking

iHalo
Jun 26, 2009, 04:31 PM
This is a really dumb move on sprint's part. They just ruined their relationship with Apple. If they were smart, they would be courting Apple to put an iPhone on their network. Oh well, their millions lost.

QCassidy352
Jun 26, 2009, 04:33 PM

that's about 2.5 hours a day on a cell phone, excluding nights, weekends, and in network calling. ...how?

Sprint is actually on to something; there's so many things the iPhone hasn't been able to do, such as cut & paste, MMS, tethering and drag & drop; (except for the cut & paste) after two YEARS!!! Let's give credit to Palm Pre for targeting AT&T & Apple....:eek::eek::eek:

- C&P is here now, so however long it took to get it, it's not a selling point any more
- MMS and tethering are both coming, soonish. If you're so desperate for those things that you'd switch to sprint rather than wait a couple of months, you probably didn't have an iphone in the first place.
- drag and drop is one I can't figure out - it was an option on ipods from the start, and now that the iphone is at 32 GB, it should really be an option there too. But there are 3rd party apps that accomplish this rather easily, so no big deal. And can you even do this on a Pre? It's not something I've heard discussed much.

iluvgr8tdeals
Jun 26, 2009, 05:01 PM
Sprint's adverts of the Palm Pre remind me of the car adverts of the Kia brand, when they tout the many advantages and more features packed into their car compared to the Toyota or Honda. The fact that the Kia has more features than the Toyota/Honda, and sells for thousands less, does not mean that a potential car buyer shall flock to buy the Kia. Since the Toyota/Honda is a much more durable and reliable car with a better reputation than the Kia, more people are going to buy the Toyota/Honda, regardless of the 'savings' that Kia may throw at them. (I am not bashing Kia owners, just stating their advertising tactics!) When I see a car manufacturer produce an advert comparing their car to a different car, I assume that, for the most part, the car they are comparing theirs to is the superior one. Imitation is the sincerest form of flaterry!

The iPhone is a much more superior phone. The tale of the tape tells it all. 1 Million downloads of PalmPre apps vs 1 billion iPhone/IPod Touch downloads of apple apps, 150,000 PalmPres sold vs 1 million iPhone 3gS' sold.

PalmPre simply came too late into the superior smartphone game. I was a user of the Treo series and palm pilots, and I remember owners babling endlessly on the treo/palm forums about the need for Palm to produce a phone that would compete with the iPhone. Since sales were brisk at that time and they had a loyal fan base with phones that were carried by different cell-phone providers, they did not feel the need to react. 2-3 years later, their 'loyal' fan base all have iPhones, with hardly any chatter on the treo forums! (The little chatter left is by those switching to iPhones, or those die-hard palm fans who were waiting for the new palm. Remember when the release of the treo 680 and the 750 (755) was all the rage?

Having said that, Apple should be a proactive company, listening to iPhone owners who 'babble on endlessly' about features they need on the iPhone, to avoid digging a hole like Palm did.

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 05:08 PM
WISH!!!! we had AT&T prices in Spain!!!

90 euros ($126.65) thats JUST!! 90 euros for calls or SMS/MMS !!! NO FREE MMS O SMS!!! included

25 euros ($35.18) 1Gb traffic! 3G! goes down to 128Kbs after the 1Gb limit!!!

Total of $161.83 a month!! just to get a little bit close to a all in unlimited price plan!!!

Although I have seen a press release of a new price plan that comes out in July for a 39.00 euros a month 3Gb data plan!!! ($54.88) which is quite good!! :D

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 05:12 PM

90 euros ($126.65) thats JUST!! 90 euros for calls or SMS/MMS !!! NO FREE MMS O SMS!!! included

Total of $161.83 a month!! just to get a little bit close to a all in unlimited price plan!!!

Although I have seen a press release of a new price plan that comes out in July for a 39.00 euros a month 3Gb data plan!!! ($54.88) which is quite good!! :D

Pic added

heckaslammin
Jun 26, 2009, 05:15 PM
My contract is up on July 1st and I've been counting the days. I get no reception from my home in Los Angeles and on my way back from the airport the other day my call was dropped 12 times. Yes, 12. When I told AT&T about my problem the guy in customer service told me that I should've checked to see if there was coverage there before I moved. Seriously. I asked him if he really thought I should base my home-buying on whether or not AT&T gets good coverage there. He didn't respond.

I love my iPhone, my MacBook, my mobileme acct, etc., but I REFUSE to stay with a company (AT&T) who milks me dry every month and still can't supply adequate service.

What's the point of my iPhone if I can't even use the darn thing?

iluvgr8tdeals
Jun 26, 2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks for the Spain prices!

This makes me appreciate the prices and subsidies we have here in the US under AT&T, unlike in Canada where they have 3 year contracts under Rogers that are not subject to early upgrading! AT&T customers, appreciate what you have!

z4n3, I guess you cannot use your tether feature, (or use it VERY sparingly) lest you burn through your data, another reason At&T customers should be grateful!

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the Spain prices!

This makes me appreciate the prices and subsidies we have here in the US under AT&T, unlike in Canada where they have 3 year contracts under Rogers that are not subject to early upgrading! AT&T customers, appreciate what you have!

z4n3, I guess you cannot use your tether feature, (or use it VERY sparingly) less you burn through your data, another reason At&T customers should be grateful!

Your welcome!!! :D it is even worst!!! if you calculate the total cost to get a iPhone for 19.00 euros you have to spend a total of 2812.94 euros (18 month minimum contract) $3,958.50 TOTAL!!!! and take into account that Movistar are stuck in the middle ages!! with STILL!! charge a connection fee of 0.15cents FOR EVERY! CALL!!! you make, on top of the call price be it 1 sec o 1 hour!!!! YOU GUYZ!!! on ATT&T do not know how good you have it!!! :eek:

swajames
Jun 26, 2009, 05:42 PM
that's about 2.5 hours a day on a cell phone, excluding nights, weekends, and in network calling. ...how?

It's not at all difficult - anyone with a career in professional services can easily be using 4000 to 5000 minutes per month.

jediaxle
Jun 26, 2009, 06:00 PM
Maybe Sprint and Palm should fix the phone first before they start attacking others. Friend just got one and it has a 3 hour battery life in stand by and gets so hot, he can barely hold it. Odd thing is according to http://forums.palm.com/palm/board/message?board.id=weboshardware&thread.id=94&view=by_date_ascending&page=1 it's because of hotmail accounts.

chrissurra
Jun 26, 2009, 06:02 PM
I switched from the iPhone to the Pre. Sprint has faster data, unlimited texts, MMS and unlimited tv, free turn by turn directions (the only app so far for iPhone is $95) plus the $10 monthly ATT charge.

When I went to Sprint they offered more for less money plus I get a corp discount of 25% that ATT wont allow on iPhone plans.

I loved my iPhone but the multitasking is sweet and Sprint allows me to roam onto Verizon's network for 1/4 the price. Once Apple dumps ATT I will be back.

I was a early adopter of the iPhone 2G and remember the growing pains of that device too and they had NO apps for the first year. The Pre has some growing pains but Palm has already released 2 OS upgrades.

z4n3
Jun 26, 2009, 06:08 PM
x

bretm
Jun 26, 2009, 06:29 PM

3 price levels would be interesting. $199 / 2 year contract. $349/1 year contract, $499 no contract.

It really irks me that I had to renew my 2 year contract when I bought the original for $599. Exactly why did I have to sign a contract?

I was used to Tmobile that didn't make you sign a contract. When you did, because you got a subsidized phone, it was a 1 year contract.

Best phone company I ever had was called PowerTel. They got bought by someone that got bought by Tmobile. PowerTel let me use my old Nokia with an infrared port with my Powerbook G4 (which had an infrared port) as a tethered modem. ZERO extra cost. People didn't even know what a data plan was back in 2000! But it worked for email driving across the country. Or a web page if you had half an hour to kill.

Powertel also had this very very cool fax service. For $5 a month, they gave you a fax number. People would send you a fax 24/7. When you got a fax it was stored on Powertel's servers and you got a message on your phone saying you had a fax. You could then type in the number you wanted it forwarded to. As a freelancer this was great! If I was somewhere I'd have it sent there. If I was home I'd dig out the old machine and plug it in or I could send it to my free efax number which went to email.

Powertel never had a contract, and it wasn't pay as you go. You got a bill just like ATT.

Where are companies like this? Tmobile was pretty awesome. I wish the iPhone would go there. I loved their 3000 anytime minutes for $39 deal. It was regional southeast deal. But I bought a $20 calling card for any other long distance and I never finished using it up. Ah, the good ol days.

EarthDawn
Jun 26, 2009, 06:31 PM
There reaching... and $150 a month ????

I pay $220 a month total with taxes etc for 3 phones. 2 - iPhone's, a 3G & 3Gs, and my sons phone on a family plan with unlimited text and data & 1400 minutes.
We have 9,000+ rollover minutes as of now lol

So while the plans arent free they are not as expensive as Sprint is saying.

cerote
Jun 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
It's not at all difficult - anyone with a career in professional services can easily be using 4000 to 5000 minutes per month.

Does your work pay for part of your plan since it is used for work? My job pays a small part of my cell bill because I am not usually at my desk and I get calls while not at work from them. I could ask get more paid but it is not to bad and it covers some. Or are do you run your own business?

sebgreen
Jun 26, 2009, 06:53 PM
Got to say the eaten apple maybe to signify the end of apples dominence is quite clever but I feel quite optimistic

iphones4evry1
Jun 26, 2009, 07:20 PM
HOW IS THE SERVICE ON T-MOBILE ? Good, Bad, or ?

I'm not sure of you guys have seen the new Google phones coming out, but they look a lot better than the G1:

"Google's Android OS, the [Samsung] I7500 has a gorgeous 3.2-inch OLED screen, a 5MP camera, WiFi, and GPS." and no physical keyboard. Sure, it doesn't have an iPod or the Apple App Store, but it should be interesting to see this 3.2-inch OLED screen once it comes out. Hopefully, the competition will push Apple to make the next iPhone much better.

http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695607/Samsung-I7500-Google-Android-Approved-By-FCC-Likely-Headed-To-T-Mobile.html

And, here is the HTC version: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696743/T-Mobile-Announces-Its-Second-Google-Android-Phone-The-myTouch-3G.html

spazzcat
Jun 26, 2009, 07:24 PM
I switched from the iPhone to the Pre. Sprint has faster data, unlimited texts, MMS and unlimited tv, free turn by turn directions (the only app so far for iPhone is $95) plus the $10 monthly ATT charge.

When I went to Sprint they offered more for less money plus I get a corp discount of 25% that ATT wont allow on iPhone plans.

I loved my iPhone but the multitasking is sweet and Sprint allows me to roam onto Verizon's network for 1/4 the price. Once Apple dumps ATT I will be back.

I was a early adopter of the iPhone 2G and remember the growing pains of that device too and they had NO apps for the first year. The Pre has some growing pains but Palm has already released 2 OS upgrades.

I get the ATT corp discount with my iPhone plan.

iMikeT
Jun 26, 2009, 07:45 PM
Meh. :rolleyes:

On a related note, my contract won't be up until October for my 1st gen iPhone but I'm planning on buying a 3G S as soon as my tax refund comes in.

ProwlingTiger
Jun 26, 2009, 08:35 PM
Perhaps if there were actually multiple applications to run on the Pre....

sonictonic
Jun 26, 2009, 08:57 PM
LOL is all that fine print a joke or is that really part of the ad? :D

DStaal
Jun 26, 2009, 09:04 PM
2 Things: 1: There will be more apps. The Pre's only been out less than three weeks after all. (And the SDK hasn't even gone public.) Oh, and it can run many classic Palm apps, using the emulator. (Which really should be free, but nevermind.) 2: This is for the 'unlimited everything' plan. Both Sprint and AT&T have cheaper plans with some limits which you can use, but they aren't quite pears-to-pears comparisons. (Although Sprint is cheaper there too.)

The Pre may not quite be a match for the iPhone, but it's definitely a worthy competitor. It can do most of what the iPhone can, bests it in a few areas, and is worse in a few. The only real specific downsides are the smaller selection of apps, and the fact that it can't play DRM'd music and movies. (Which may or may not be a downside, to some people...) The rest is mostly polish, which Apple does very well, but Palm isn't being a slouch in that department either.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out in a year or three.

(Yes, I've got one. The battery life was horrible the first day, but has been fine since. The heat is only while both charging and using, from my experience.)

iphones4evry1
Jun 26, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Pre may not quite be a match for the iPhone, but it's definitely a worthy competitor. It can do most of what the iPhone can, bests it in a few areas, and is worse in a few.

I'm glad someone is finally telling it how it really is. Yes, the iPhone is definitely better than the Pre. That is definite. But, the Pre is certainly not a piece of crap, as some people on here are suggesting. The Pre is a decent phone. I wish people would stop bashing it and just start saying "It's decent but the iPhone is still better."
And, let's not forget that competition is a good thing. If Apple didn't have any competitors to the iPhone, they wouldn't have as much incentive to lower prices and improve features to lure in new customers. Constantly knowing that the next version of the phones from any of their competitors could catch up, they are constantly under pressure to keep innovating and keep prices reasonable. Too bad AT&T doesn't have the same incentive (since the iPhone is only on AT&T). That is a perfect example of what happens when there is no competition.

-I own an iPhone3G and I'm very happy with it.

DjPiLL
Jun 26, 2009, 10:29 PM
The Pre is a solid phone and it will definitely give Apple/AT&T a run for their money.

The Sprint network is way better than the AT&T network IMO. Here in NYC I am lucky to get bandwidth 3Gs speeds on my iPhone of more than 300k. That's pathetic for so-called "3G service". On Sprint and my Pre... I can easily hit 800+ on a regular basis. On my Sprint laptop aircard I can hit 1.5M.

AT&T really needs to work on their network. I was a longtime Sprint user and I just came over to AT&T for this iphone. I am sort-of regretting it because you can really see how great Sprint's data network is when you go to a carrier like AT&T.

dlemmon
Jun 26, 2009, 11:06 PM
Good, more competition means lower cost of service for us. I hope it gets att to lower the price of service, or at least add more for the same price

swajames
Jun 26, 2009, 11:26 PM
Does your work pay for part of your plan since it is used for work? My job pays a small part of my cell bill because I am not usually at my desk and I get calls while not at work from them. I could ask get more paid but it is not to bad and it covers some. Or are do you run your own business?

Yep, I'm pretty lucky as my work pays in full for my cellphone and also for the Verizon Broadband service in my work PC.

mjtomlin
Jun 26, 2009, 11:33 PM
The Pre can multitask, but Sprint's network doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, which means all that multitasking goodness (internet access) comes to a complete stand still when a call comes in. Funny how they fail to mention that.

And for all the hoopla about being able to multitask, like it's this new thing in the mobile world, both Android and Windows Mobile can also multitask. This is not new, it is just something Apple chose to limit because of the limitations of the hardware (CPU, memory, battery). Multitasking will eventually come to the iPhone when Apple feels it's ready for it. As of now, they felt that only the core functions of the device should be ale to run in the background; the phone and the music.

macbookfan
Jun 26, 2009, 11:53 PM
Just look at all that fine print!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZrlj6SxN_w
:cool:

aristotle
Jun 27, 2009, 12:11 AM
Have fun with your CDMA phones when even Verizon is abandoning CDMA within 2 years.

Those numbers are obviously cooked up and you are all eating it up like suckers. Unlimited data is a scam to get you to pay more and it is not even unlimited if you read the fine print. I have yet to break past 300 MB of transfer on my phone because *GASP* I have internet access with a WiFI router at home and I have a full time job during the day which leaves me with very little time to surf on my phone Monday to Friday. I also don't bother using Youtube much on my Phone because, again I have a mac at home with 3 Mbit DSL service.

Unlimited texts are another scam to get you to pay for something that you will never use unless if you are a teenager. If you have a full time job, you will not have time to text a lot.

If any of you have an iPhone without having a full-time job, then you are either filthy rich or a spoiled brat siphoning money off your parents. Everyone else have to work most of the week. :rolleyes:

chrissurra
Jun 27, 2009, 01:05 AM
Have fun with your CDMA phones when even Verizon is abandoning CDMA within 2 years.

Those numbers are obviously cooked up and you are all eating it up like suckers. Unlimited data is a scam to get you to pay more and it is not even unlimited if you read the fine print. I have yet to break past 300 MB of transfer on my phone because *GASP* I have internet access with a WiFI router at home and I have a full time job during the day which leaves me with very little time to surf on my phone Monday to Friday. I also don't bother using Youtube much on my Phone because, again I have a mac at home with 3 Mbit DSL service.

Unlimited texts are another scam to get you to pay for something that you will never use unless if you are a teenager. If you have a full time job, you will not have time to text a lot.

If any of you have an iPhone without having a full-time job, then you are either filthy rich or a spoiled brat siphoning money off your parents. Everyone else have to work most of the week. :rolleyes:

Why bother with an iPhone at all if data, youtube, texting are all a waste of money? You have internet at work why have it at home?

Your points dont make any sense, I dont need a car I could walk everywhere. I work for a living and text, and use a ton of data on my way to work reading news, answering emails and looking up stock/company info.

iphones4evry1
Jun 27, 2009, 01:15 AM
http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/695607/Samsung-I7500-Google-Android-Approved-By-FCC-Likely-Headed-To-T-Mobile.html
And, here is the HTC version: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/696743/T-Mobile-Announces-Its-Second-Google-Android-Phone-The-myTouch-3G.html

Now this is totally cool !!!!! I have been using Exilim digital cameras for many years now, and they are excellent digital cameras. I just saw an advertisement on the web and clicked on it. This is not a "camera phone" that is primarily a phone but also has a camera; nope. It's a camera that has a built in phone! It would be like a
Kodak camera, and also has a phone in it. Awesome! http://www.casioexilimmobile.com/

(yes, I am keeping my iPhone, but I think this is totally cool anyways)
although, I could see this useful for certain outdoor events, where I could just pull the SIM card out of my iPhone and slip it in the phone camera, but ... I wouldn't want to be without my iPhone!

ryanw
Jun 27, 2009, 03:15 AM

Well, the excluding nights and weekends would explain the average of 2.5 hours. I probably push 5+ hours in a 24 hour period of actual talking time on the cell. I don't have a land-line, I'm always on the go and working on something. I have to charge my iPhone twice a day and can never run it in 3G mode or it would die by 10am. The external battery I picked up is very helpful. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to survive on the iPhone at all.

spazzcat
Jun 27, 2009, 06:37 AM
The Pre can multitask, but Sprint's network doesn't allow simultaneous voice and data, which means all that multitasking goodness (internet access) comes to a complete stand still when a call comes in. Funny how they fail to mention that.

And for all the hoopla about being able to multitask, like it's this new thing in the mobile world, both Android and Windows Mobile can also multitask. This is not new, it is just something Apple chose to limit because of the limitations of the hardware (CPU, memory, battery). Multitasking will eventually come to the iPhone when Apple feels it's ready for it. As of now, they felt that only the core functions of the device should be ale to run in the background; the phone and the music.

I have been reading all over the Internet how the pre is getting 3 - 5 hours of battery life. How long before they turn off multitasking... I don't think people realized how much a drain multitasking is on something like a cell phone battery.

And really there are only a few apps that need to run all the time like Internet radio. Everything else works great with push service.

deannnnn
Jun 27, 2009, 06:54 AM
and no need to rely on Sprint's world-class customer service, that causes more than one million customers to run away per quarter.

LIKE ME!

kas23
Jun 27, 2009, 09:44 AM
I have been reading all over the Internet how the pre is getting 3 - 5 hours of battery life. How long before they turn off multitasking... I don't think people realized how much a drain multitasking is on something like a cell phone battery.

Huh? What's the difference. My iPhone gets 3-5 hours of battery life. It all depends on your use. In fact, by just surfing the net and listening to the iPod, I can definitely burn through my whole battery in about 3-5 hours.

kas23
Jun 27, 2009, 09:47 AM
well it is up, and I am switching to Sprint, but not to that piece of crap pre. I laughed when I felt that thing.

But, what phone would you switch to? Poor phone choice was the reason I switched from Sprint. They may have more in the pipeline, but the Pre is by far the best they have to offer.

Goona
Jun 27, 2009, 07:57 PM
If AT&T was so crap, and Sprint so good why are people leaving Sprint by the millions, meanwhile AT&T keeps adding customers, it just doesn't make sense.

bryantsiphone
Jun 27, 2009, 09:54 PM
while sprint is cheaper, there network coverage is a lot smaller out side of citys, and most people i would say like to use there phone when they travel or go out. i went to the sprint store and played with the palm pre, and i wasnt to impressed, if you ask me, i dont care how much i pay a month i get coverage everywhere, dont have unlimited but i have a 1000 rollover minutes and i txt and use data as much as i want, good luck sprint, but your timing sucks.

kdarling
Jun 27, 2009, 11:00 PM
Telefónica and its subsidiaries (Movistar and O2) have apparently managed to strike a deal with Palm in order to exclusively sell the eagerly-awaited Pre smartphone in the markets where they operate.

(snip)

Cannot see this publicity working in Spain, :D or for that matter making Apple very happy!!! (same provider selling iPhone and Pre in UK and Spain!!!) :eek:

Yep, carriers with the iPhone continue to add other popular smartphones. The exclusivity agreement works in their favor, not Apple's, as far as marketing goes.

ATT has also said they want to sell both Pre models.

Another big Pre sales jump should come when it arrives on Verizon.

Between the 3GS, Pre, Omnia II and Pro (http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=276), HTC Touch 2 and Pro (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uONMuEeTo7A), and the new Android phones (especially with that slick HTC Sense UI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTDSfbcbBU)), this is a great year for smartphones.

ZebraineZ
Jun 28, 2009, 06:01 AM
Too bad I just upgraded yesterday. :p
Plus, I found the Pre to be a bit too choppy for my tastes.

Guys, I definitely don't see the iPhone dropping in price btw. Really, think about, ATT gets a "royalty charge" for every iPhone. For every iPhone AT&T, Apple makes about $500-$600. So AT&T sells it to you at $200 / $300 taking them a couple months to make the money back from the sale. Then the next couple months will be maintain networks, maintenance, research and development, and much more to keep them at a standard Apple wants them at. And in the end, they still need to pull a profit to make share holders happy. They need a lot of money to stay in business.

Do I think costs could be a little lower? Yah. I do. Mainly on SMS on the iPhone.

Your saying that like the iPhone is the only phone ATT has.
They have other phones and ALOT of them and they were doing just fine before the iPhone came, as Cingular :)

ZebraineZ
Jun 28, 2009, 06:14 AM

Not everyone is filthy rich to own an iphone or they are spoiled... There is always people who can find an out of contract iphone for cheap either off the net or from a close person like me :) because my mom got me and iphone with just the usb cable + charger for 150 which I think was a pretty good deal since I saved 300 bucks which would give me about a months worth of service.

Also there are few kids like me (but not sure) that (again not sure if I can say this here) make money by jailbreaking their older cousins friends iphones for money :) hey I'm almost 14 and if I can find a near legit way to make a buck (not like I am selling the jailbreak, they insisted and I am doing it for them, while they can go out) then it aint half bad.

Anyways there is always a medium with everything you buy, you don't have to be rich to get something that is expensive, really.

kas23
Jun 28, 2009, 10:12 AM
Your saying that like the iPhone is the only phone ATT has.
They have other phones and ALOT of them and they were doing just fine before the iPhone came, as Cingular :)

That may be true, but these other phones are not causing people to switch carriers to AT&T. People switch to AT&T solely for the iPhone or a non-phone reason (a family or coverage reason). "Doing fine" isn't good enough for carriers nowadays. The competition is fierce. They need to attract new customers in order to thrive.

kdarling
Jun 28, 2009, 12:32 PM

Silly rabbit. LTE is for everyone.:)

LTE has been adopted by Verizon and ATT, making it both a GSM and CDMA standard politically, but neither one technically. Don't forget, an LTE radio isn't compatible with either old technology.

So by adopting LTE, ATT is abandoning GSM radios just as much as Verizon is leaving CDMA. But that's not going to happen for either network for a while.

Both ATT and Verizon are adding LTE to their current networks. They will likely keep GSM and CDMA for another five years... and possibly much more. Most people still get regular dumbphones that don't require high speed data.

pdjudd
Jun 28, 2009, 01:08 PM
The thing we should point out about LTE, is that it is more GSM than CDMA is. LTE comes out of the GSM organization. It may not be in phones now, but they will be in 2011-2012. CDMA is totally different - most of the CDMA patents are held by Qualcomm. Sure right now it is still viable today, but sooner or later, people are going to drop it. Qualcomm certainly doesn't have a 4G network going for them.

It is accurate to say that Verizon is dropping CDMA since LTE is based on GSM. CDMA and UMB are rival technologies.

Sprint is committed to Wi-Max - which coincidentally they own a large share of those technologies.

This is a bit far off in the future, but it seems a bit silly to think that Apple would go out of its way to use a different competing chipset for CDMA now, when they are already going to have to change in a few years to support LTE to support AT&T and all the rest of the providers also moving to LTE.

cocky jeremy
Jun 28, 2009, 01:59 PM
When i want a phone who's screen cracks, that overheats and has a 3 hour battery life.. i know which phone to chose!! Until then, i'll stick with my iPhone. :)

iPhoneNYC
Jun 28, 2009, 05:50 PM
Hit me with your best shot, fire away...

Rodimus Prime
Jun 28, 2009, 06:34 PM
Agreed. That number is very misleading. I don't know a single person who has or needs an unlimited-everything plan, and my understanding is that the difference is a lot less when you're talking about lower plans.

Well we can compare those plans if you look at it. Sprints Unlimited everything is a 100 a month which I think is a great deal.

Lets look at ATT on the other hand. Losses min plan per month is 450 for 40 a month. Now lets add data that plan is 70 a month. Text messaging can agruble be unlimited as well. Now you are at 90 a month. For 450 mins. I know a lot of people who cross 450 a month so that can be a problem.

But still 90 for the losses plan to match unlimited text and internet to a 100 unlimited everything. So summing this up for most people Sprint still works out to be cheaper over all. May not be 1200 but still quite a bit less than ATT over the same 2 year time span.

Now if you want to compared a 450 min unlimited data/message on Sprint is it s 70 a month. That works out to be $460 over 2 years. sprint is STILL a lot cheaper. ATT is a rip off lets face that.

strausd
Jun 29, 2009, 01:52 AM
hahaha the picture is kinda funny. sprint knows theyre going down fast. me and my family just dropped them for iPhones, best decision in the world!

k2spitfire88
Jun 29, 2009, 06:55 AM
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10274278-1.html

Pretty gutsy move on Sprint's part. Do you think it could be a successful strategy? I wonder if/how Apple will respond to this.

Chaos123x
Jun 29, 2009, 07:07 AM
LOL nope.

Sprints network blows.

The PRE will help Verizon.

Nothing can help sprint, their reputation is to damaged.

I mean you expect at least most of your calls to come through, 99% of your calls going to straight to voice mail is unacceptable. I mean NO bars as soon as you walk into any building? They should put for outside use only on all sprints plans.

Also canceling peoples service because you complained once is just messed up.

Appdict
Jun 29, 2009, 07:15 AM
*sniff* I smell..jealousy. :rolleyes:

"The Pre does things the iPhone can't.."
Yeah, but the iPhone does more things the Pre can't. :D

dagomike
Jun 29, 2009, 07:18 AM
Looks like I'd get the Everything Data plan, which is the same price as the iPhone plan. OK, I'll save $5 on for my handfull of text messages I use a month. Ooooohhhhhh. $5/mo does not equal $1200. No deal.

Multitasking is highly overrated and misunderstood, IMO.

mgamber
Jun 29, 2009, 07:19 AM
LOL....what? Sprint's network rocks compared to AT&T! I used Sprint for some time before bailing for AT&T and the iPhone and if I had my preference, I'd still be there. Their network was a magnitude faster and when Sprint said "unlimited data" they meant unlimited data, they had much better coverage, people have been saying their reputation sucks for how many years now yet they're still around and my monthly bill was half of what it is with AT&T. The only down side to Sprint was lack of a sim chip meaning you couldn't buy any old phone anywhere, pop in the chip and go. Otherwise, I would be using an iPhone with Sprint right now. Oh...and last I checked, they booted a handful of people off their system for the same reason AT&T booted considerably more people off of their system.

Seriously, do you know anything at all about Sprint?

SpaceKitty
Jun 29, 2009, 07:21 AM
This was actually posted here a few days ago. I came from Sprint to my first generation iPhone and don't miss Sprint. They had horrible coverage in my area.

Ntombi
Jun 29, 2009, 07:22 AM
Like has been said often, network coverage depends heavily on region. You cannot take your personal experience with one service in one area and extrapolate that to assume you know anything about the service nationwide. You will be wrong more often than right.

k2spitfire88
LOL....what? Sprint's network rocks compared to AT&T! I used Sprint for some time before bailing for AT&T and the iPhone and if I had my preference, I'd still be there. Their network was a magnitude faster and when Sprint said "unlimited data" they meant unlimited data, they had much better coverage, people have been saying their reputation sucks for how many years now yet they're still around and my monthly bill was half of what it is with AT&T. The only down side to Sprint was lack of a sim chip meaning you couldn't buy any old phone anywhere, pop in the chip and go. Otherwise, I would be using an iPhone with Sprint right now. Oh...and last I checked, they booted a handful of people off their system for the same reason AT&T booted considerably more people off of their system.

Yea I do. I just wondered if this might do anything to help them at all, especially since the Pre has been hyped as the new iPhone killer.

dagomike
when Sprint said "unlimited data" they meant unlimited data

Now, that's funny. Might want to brush up on what Sprint is doing these days, buddy.

k2spitfire88
And my bad, I missed that it was posted a few days ago. Sorry guys.

SpaceKitty
Jun 29, 2009, 07:25 AM

They don;t have unlimited data anymore like AT&T does. Sprint has a soft cap. They added it to all of their data plans. Go check out some of the Sprint forums to find out about it.

Chaos123x
Jun 29, 2009, 07:28 AM

yes I had them for like 3 years before I switched to Cingular (AT&T) never ever going back, almost lost my job because "I never answered my phone". It was not my phone either because I had it replaced 3 times to make sure.

People would also get a message when they called too "Please hold while the subscriber you are calling is located" screw that stuff.

The network is god awful.

rorober
Jun 29, 2009, 08:05 AM
When I was a Sprint customer, I always had to carry around a huge cell phone tower to get a reception. People always pointed and laughed.

fourthtunz
Jun 29, 2009, 08:07 AM

Get up on the wrong side of the bed?
I have the og iphone and the idea of paying more than $70/m for any phone seems absurd.
With the rollover I've never gone over 450 minutes.
We'll see how many people fork over $150/m for phone service
when this depression really hits and you have to switch to an $8 an hour job.
These phone companies are smoking something!

Stunod7
Jun 29, 2009, 08:29 AM
Yeah, because I'm sure Sprint wouldn't want the iPhone on their po-dunk network.

Reeks of desperation.

mgamber
Jun 29, 2009, 08:35 AM
Sprint had a data soft cap when I was with them, too, but it wasn't anything to worry about. Never once did I hear anything from them concerning my data use and not for a lack of trying. I watched hours of baseball via Slingplayer every week, tethered whenever I needed to for as long as I needed it plus all the usual data usage and never had a problem. I never had a dropped call, never had an outage and I had coverage everywhere I went. That's everywhere as in the dictionary definition. Granted, as mentioned, coverage is very subjective but AT&T doesn't even come close. In these parts, AT&T can't even match T-Mobile!

Two other things about Sprint I didn't like...their billing department was clueless. I'm surprised they could find a door to get out of the house in the morning. And I made the mistake of buying that awful HTC Titan phone which was pure, unmitigated garbage. Worse, they knew it and refused to do anything about it. I went as far as filing a BBB report against them for that $600 turd but, in the end, I ended up having to buy my own replacement, a Touch, which was infinitely better.

But as far as the network itself is concerned, AT&T doesn't even come close in my area. Per the PRE, the point of all this I'm sure, who really cares? What does preaching to the choir accomplish?

kas23
Jun 29, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yea I do. I just wondered if this might do anything to help them at all, especially since the Pre has been hyped as the new iPhone killer.

By who? As far as I could tell, the Pre has been touted/hyped as an iPhone alternative. Real people really aren't using the term "iPhone killer" anymore. Only two types of people still use it; the media, when they're looking for something to write about & sell and Apple fanboys, so they can vainly vilify the latest cellphone (God forbid there's another cellphone out there better than mine!).

kas23
Jun 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
yes I had them for like 3 years before I switched to Cingular (AT&T) never ever going back, almost lost my job because "I never answered my phone". It was not my phone either because I had it replaced 3 times to make sure.

People would also get a message when they called too "Please hold while the subscriber you are calling is located" screw that stuff.

The network is god awful.

I'm curious. When was the last time you had Sprint? I can tell it was a while ago (at last 2 1/2 years ago).

fourthtunz
Jun 29, 2009, 11:15 AM
Sprint had a data soft cap when I was with them, too, but it wasn't anything to worry about. Never once did I hear anything from them concerning my data use and not for a lack of trying. I watched hours of baseball via Slingplayer every week, tethered whenever I needed to for as long as I needed it plus all the usual data usage and never had a problem. I never had a dropped call, never had an outage and I had coverage everywhere I went. That's everywhere as in the dictionary definition. Granted, as mentioned, coverage is very subjective but AT&T doesn't even come close. In these parts, AT&T can't even match T-Mobile!

Two other things about Sprint I didn't like...their billing department was clueless. I'm surprised they could find a door to get out of the house in the morning. And I made the mistake of buying that awful HTC Titan phone which was pure, unmitigated garbage. Worse, they knew it and refused to do anything about it. I went as far as filing a BBB report against them for that $600 turd but, in the end, I ended up having to buy my own replacement, a Touch, which was infinitely better.

But as far as the network itself is concerned, AT&T doesn't even come close in my area. Per the PRE, the point of all this I'm sure, who really cares? What does preaching to the choir accomplish?

As far as att your are right, ATT sucks as far as coverage, on the other hand their plan is national and for $66/m with data and texting, it's a pretty good plan. I do think the delay for tethering and messaging is lame and it's the reason I'm going to hang onto my 2 g iphone until the real deal comes out
later this year or next. ATT had better get their act together or they will lose customers, right now the supremacy of the iphone is the only reason I am with them.

theheadguy
Jun 29, 2009, 11:48 AM
We'll see how many people fork over $150/m for phone service
Wait -- where is $150/m coming from?

fourthtunz
Jun 29, 2009, 12:37 PM
Wait -- where is $150/m coming from?

It's that what some people are paying for the full meal deal phone service?:D

kurosov
Jun 29, 2009, 05:04 PM
Shame they had to ruin this advert with a photo of the device.

Neurobit
Jul 2, 2009, 10:39 AM
First post.
Had to register so I could share my experience.

I am an IT Manager, and wireless provisioning and management is one of the responsibilities my department handles.

I got a couple of Pres on release date to test drive and see if it would be a good fit for us (you can test them for 30 days and return if not satisfied).

One of them for a long time Palm Treo user, and since Palm OS is being replaced by WebOS, we thought this would be a good fit. The other Pre was for myself, since I was using a Blackberry Storm and I was about to go Bananas if I kept using it (it is a POS, but that's a topic for a different thread)

Form Factor:
The phone has a nice shape and feels good in the hand, although it's just a tad too small, specially the screen. Don't get me wrong, the screen is beautiful. It's super sharp and with vibrant graphics (same resolution as the iPhone, but in a smaller package).
Needless to say, the phone felt perfect when sliding the keyboard out, so I think that Palm should have made it bigger, to accommodate a bigger screen, and also a tad slimmer, since it's a little on the chunky side, (which they could have done if the phone was a little longer).

Build Quality:
Seems pretty solid, the physical keyboard is nice to have, but nowhere near close to being as good as a Blackberry Curve or the Treo, since keys are really close together and the top row of buttons is really close to the bottom part of the phone when slid open, so typing is not as easy as it seems.
Coupled that with not having auto-correct capability or custom dictionary (again, like many phones have had for years, and you start to get frustrated pretty quickly), but even with this nuances, it's still way better than my previous BB Storm...

Speakerphone:
The speakerphone is in the back, and not pretty loud. When on calls, it's not as loud or clear as I would like (making people on the other end sound like they were in a tunnel).

Battery life:
This is where the Pre falls apart.
Battery life is not great. With moderate use you can get by to the end of the day, but that's if you're using WiFi or have great EVDO signal. If the signal is weak or you use the phone to listen to send email, make calls, and surf the web (isn't that the reason we have smart phones?) then the battery life will be dead after lunch.

Now on to the software.

WebOS:
Beautiful interface (again, keep in mind that my other touchscreen frame of reference is the BB Storm, which I've already pointed out is a POS).
Interface is responsive and beautifully designed, but being a 1.0 release, it is not ready for prime time IMO.

Speed:
Clicking on apps takes anywhere from 2-3 seconds to open. Not bad, but not instant like the iPhone 3Gs.

Navigating around the interface is pretty easy, the phone has a "gesture" area at the bottom of the screen, which you can use to back up a step when inside an app or "card", and it can be customized to swipe between cards.

Universal search is very nice, until you realize that it doesn't search emails, calendar or memos, so it's not so universal after all...

Flick scrolling works, but is not always smooth, sometimes it hiccups and then keeps scrolling, like it's attempting to refresh the screen. Again, a 1.0 product that I think will be fixed in future software releases.

Camera:
The camera takes pretty good pictures, but it's bare bones, with no advanced adjustment or video capabilities (yet).

Calendar
I give the calendar a mixed review.
It has the accordion feature that shows you a full day of appointments without the need to scroll, and it does a great job integrating my Exchange and Google calendars with different color schemes (but only in day/weekly view, monthly is monochrome :mad: ) so I can separate my business and personal life, but... when you are in Month view it falls apart.
There is a bug (I was hoping they would fix this soon) in monthly view that doesn't show you any "all day" events, so if you want to see a particular day as being blocked out, you would have to set the event to perhaps 8AM - 8PM instead of an all day event, otherwise you will see that day as "open" and double book, which is unacceptable in a business setting.

Notifications:
Intrusive. Pretty nifty at first, but when you realize that every time you get an email, missed call, sms message, or calendar reminder (from both Google and Exchange :eek: ), then you see the problem with this approach.
It would be nice if they just showed a bubble on the corresponding service icon like iPhone/Blackberry, so I can check it when when is convenient for me, instead of having them plastered on the bottom of my screen.

Email/SMS:
Email is alright but not great. Every time you reply/forward a message, it opens a new window instead of forwarding the message on the screen. Also, navigating between messages is not that intuitive, and you can't just scroll between opened messages doing by flicking your finger from side to side (my Storm did this, I assume the iPhone does too but I am not certain).
Another feature that it lacks is landscape view, so if I have a PDF or word document emailed to me as an attachment, I have to view them in portrait mode. With a screen as small as this device has, you quickly realize that not having this capability will have you scrolling all over the screen, and another nail in the Pre's coffin has been hammered.

SMS:
There is no forwarding of SMS messages on the Pre, so if you want to forward one, you have to copy and paste (which is also a chore compared to the iPhone) so as you can see, if feels as if SMS was just an afterthought.
While discussing this, there is no consistency in the apps. Email messages are arranged from newest to oldest (newest on top), where SMS shows the newest message on at the bottom :confused:

Call screen:
The call screen is straight forward. It has dedicated icons for dialing VM and viewing the call log. You can also set dedicated speed dial digits from 2-9.
The problem is figuring out how to answer calls. If a call comes in and the phone is locked, you have to first unlock the phone before you can answer it (or slide the keyboard open) but... if the phone is unlocked, sliding the keyboard open does NOTHING, so you think you are talking to someone when you are really not, so your call goes to VM. Frustrating until you figure it out.

WiFi/Bluetooth:
Wifi and BT are straight forward and easy to configure, no gripes here.

Browser:
Browser is very nice. Super fast on both EVDO and WiFi. Pinch and tap zoom works very well, and pages render lightning fast. I just wish the screen was BIGGER. Other than that, I am very pleased with the performance of the browser. Did I mention that the screen is small?

Apps:
There's about 30-40 apps right now on the app store, and since the SDK will not be released for another couple of months, it will be so until then.

Oh, and since I mentioned that we thought we would be able to use the Treo apps with a "classic" Palm emulator, that turned out to be wrong.
You can do this, but the emulator does not have sync capabilities, so it's a moot point to even have this app loaded if your calendar, contacts, and memos cannot be synced with anything. Also, had this worked, it should have been bundled with the OS, not force loyal Palm users to buy a third party app.

Sprint Network:
Have not had any problems in town (Houston Metro). Voice quality is crystal clear. EVDO speeds are amazing.
$99 everything plan works for us. I am not a hardcore voice user, but I rely on SMS to get alerts on my network infrastructure (anywhere from 200-500 msgs. per month), and I'm a heavy email user for the same reasons.

Veredict

One of my employees upgraded his iPhone 3G to the 3Gs and let me play with it. That's all it took. I have ordered two 16GB 3Gs on Monday, and returned the two Pres yesterday.

While a nice device with lots of potential, they will need to tweak the form factor and polish the interface, work out the bugs, and get tons of developers on board to develop some nice apps.
In its current form, using the Pre was at times very, very frustrating.

The best thing going for Palm is the Sprint network in my humble opinion.
Don't have a lot of experience with AT&T yet, but coming from Verizon with the BB Storm, I can tell you that while the voice quality was superb, their data network sucked big time (slow as heck).

If Palm implements a bigger screen and and fixes their bugs, this could be a nice smart phone that will work for a lot of people. Notice that I did not call it an "iPhone Killer"... It's just another option, and competition is good for everyone.

I can't wait to get our iPhones so we can start a new chapter.
Sorry for the long post and I hope it was informative. Let me know if you have any Pre related questions while it's fresh in my mind. I am pretty sure my memory will be wiped clean as soon as I start using the 3Gs... :apple:

Neurobit

CarlyLyon
Jul 2, 2009, 09:32 PM
too late palm sorry... in 5 years it will be apple, crackberrys, and really low end phones and thats it

Blacklabel34
Jul 6, 2009, 06:19 PM
The Pre doesn't have the ease of usability that the iPhone has. The look and experience is what makes the iPhone so attractive. My 3 year old kids to my computer illiterate grandparents navigate the iPhone with ease. I can't say the same for the Pre especially since it's smaller. I had difficulty navigating.

The experience isn't anything like the iPhone which isn't comparable.

Give an iPhone user a Pre for a day and they are lost. Give a Pre user an iPhone for a day and they wonder why they bought a Pre.

RIGHT ON!!!:apple: Both my grandparents have an iphone and they can navigate through it with ease. I tired out my friend's new pre, and I wasn't impressed. The only neat thing was the full keyboard but SOO WHAT!!!

mattmarkel
Jul 26, 2009, 06:39 PM
I created this video comparison of the iPhone running on AT&T's network and then on the Sprint Mi-Fi. The results are embarrassing for AT&T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZHRgNtNj9M

DCB1
Jul 29, 2009, 03:37 PM
I have Sprint now and have been with them for many years ... no issues. Great coverage. I just have a regular phone (who would have thought someone would ever say that) with texting and limited internet. As for the "who needs testing" comment.. email is almost a thing of the past. It's all about texting.

I want a iPhone badly but will have to wait for my current contract to expire. Not happy about the whole AT&T thing though...

Peace

kdarling
Jul 29, 2009, 04:07 PM

I don't usually get into these kind of discussions, but... as an opposing view, I know quite a few families on unlimited plans on various carriers. Business people, stay at home wives, teens, you name it.

Come to think of it, I believe that everyone I know who's on Sprint has the everything plan. It's a primary reason to be on Sprint in the first place, after all. If they had coverage in my neck of the woods, I'd jump on Sprint in a heartbeat for the price difference.

Give an iPhone user a Pre for a day and they are lost.

I saw the opposite. They just have to be able to handle slightly more involved actions than just "click Home - click Icon".

Tophersky
Sep 13, 2009, 11:29 AM
I love my Pre, but I want an iPhone. That being said, nothing will pry me away from being a sprint customer. I've been with Sprint for over 12 years, and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever with them. Especially now, with the unlimited mobile-to-mobile plan (thats any time, any network, free) they just announced, I will have a VERY hard time leaving them.

As much as I love the Pre, I will drop it like a hot potato, the second Apple and Sprint make a deal.

DCB1
Sep 13, 2009, 01:47 PM
What he said about Sprint... if they get an iPhone I will be all over that!

I love my Pre, but I want an iPhone. That being said, nothing will pry me away from being a sprint customer. I've been with Sprint for over 12 years, and have absolutely no complaints whatsoever with them. Especially now, with the unlimited mobile-to-mobile plan (thats any time, any network, free) they just announced, I will have a VERY hard time leaving them.

As much as I love the Pre, I will drop it like a hot potato, the second Apple and Sprint make a deal.