PDA

View Full Version : Failed Attempts at fixing Ibook NEED Advice

Mac N00b
Jun 26, 2009, 02:47 PM
I was given an ibook g4 2001 model. Had a new unformatted 80 gb hd installed and it turns on to the infamous question mark file. Then it switches to a smiling computer face. It sounds like it is trying to run, but freezes and has spinning beach ball thing. I have one osx 10.2 disc that I try to boot from, but nothin happens. I try booting holding "C" but the screen just goes grey and stops.

ANY HELP FROM ANYONE AND EVERYONE!!:confused:

Stachelsk
Jun 26, 2009, 07:21 PM
I was given an ibook g4 2001 model. Had a new unformatted 80 gb hd installed and it turns on to the infamous question mark file. Then it switches to a smiling computer face. It sounds like it is trying to run, but freezes and has spinning beach ball thing. I have one osx 10.2 disc that I try to boot from, but nothin happens. I try booting holding "C" but the screen just goes grey and stops.

ANY HELP FROM ANYONE AND EVERYONE!!:confused:

Try to get your hands on another OS X disc. Unless your DVD/CD drive is on it's last leg, it appears that your hardware checks out okay.

The other thing you can try do is alternate between pressing "C" and "Apple + V" (that is, alternate between pressing C, and Apple+V at the same time... if that makes sense to you). This will force the iBook to boot from the CD, while also enabling verbose mode. Verbose mode might reveal some problems when attempting to boot from the CD.