PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Powerpacks

Nik_Doof
May 27, 2004, 11:59 AM
Please please please tell me that powerbook transformers have a overheat protection on them, my block is about 60c and is refusing to charge my pb...

is it dead or is it just some protection? :(

virividox
May 27, 2004, 12:10 PM
gee i never heard that they had a heat problem before

i leave my running all the time no problems, are u sure u didnt put it next to a heat source

Makosuke
May 27, 2004, 02:40 PM
Since those power bricks aren't supposed to get all that hot (at least, none I've ever felt did), and it's also not working, I expect it's failed and that's why it's so hot.

You could probably let it cool down and try again, since it's theoretically possible it overheated for some other reason and it'll be ok once it cools down, but I think that's highly unlikely. And, I'd be careful with it--if it has shorted internally, it could do something very bad if you keep using it (melt, burn, explode, shoot out sparks, trip the breaker in your house, etc). Certainly don't leave it alone.

arogge
May 27, 2004, 04:00 PM
Is it a "Made in China" product? I had one of these that overheated and failed to charge the battery after only about 20 minutes of use. It would get so hot that I was afraid it would start a fire. It eventually stopped working altogether. The unit that is made in Thailand runs much cooler and the overall product quality is higher.

ToddW
May 27, 2004, 04:04 PM
There is a short in the power block that results in the higher temperature. Don't worry your powerbook is safe. Devices like that always have voltage protection in them.

abc123
May 27, 2004, 04:32 PM
60c for the cpu isn't anything to worry too much about, i often get up to 60-65. if you are talking about the casing/hand rest area well... ouch!

saabmp3
May 27, 2004, 07:23 PM
My powerblock got INCREDIBLY hot (it was wrapped in the down comforter of my bed) and stopped working until it cooled down (about 10 minutes).

BEN