Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reports that Apple is considering dropping the price points for its iMac line alongside the introduction of next-generation models later this year. The cuts, which Apple is rumored to be considering in the 7-10% range, would be in line with the significant price cuts seen in Apple's latest notebook offerings introduced earlier this month at its Worldwide Developers Conference.
iMacs were just recently refreshed in March but will see another update by fall, at which time they'll also be repositioned as more affordable offerings. Apple is reportedly mulling similar 7% - 10% price reductions alongside the introduction of those models, people familiar with the company's thinking say.
AppleInsider had reported in late April that Apple was considering price cuts for its Mac lineup, targeting the MacBook and iMac as likely candidates for the new pricing. While the MacBook price cuts did come to fruition as part of the broader notebook price drops and reorganization, the iMac has yet to see any such changes.

Article Link: Next-Generation iMacs to See Price Cuts?

corinhorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2008
USA
Hopefully the prices will drop a bit. I will want to get the new iPod touch in addition to a new iMac. A lower iMac price would make this possible.

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
and by "cuts" they meen: cut and replace the bottom model with the mid model, slide the rest down(etc), introduce a new model at the old highest price.:rolleyes:

we are not going to get anything for less then 1199 and say
hardly price cuts

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
what they should do is not just the price cuts at the cheapest level but elimination of 20 inches and start with 24 inches. and I would appreciate 27 or 30 inch model too.

24 inches
4GB RAM
2.53ghz C2D
500GB HD
Nvidia 9400m
Superdrive

$1,099

SilentCrs

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2006
No matter what Apple does, people on the MacForums iMac board will still complain about color gamut and light bleed. :p "This consumer Mac doesn't meet the standards of the professional machine I should've spent my money on. Oh noes!!!"

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
Hopefully price cuts will make it hard for Microsoft's ad team to make another Lauran ad.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
iMacs are brilliant, but ridiculously overpriced. I almost feel ashamed when someone asks me how much i paid for mine

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
wow :eek: people still use desktop ?

But of course. More power and a bigger screen for the same or equal money. Unless you put an (expensive) SSD in a notebook, the 3.5" 7200 rpm HD in an imac will, by itself, make it a faster machine than a notebook. Macworld's benchmarks show a $1200 2.66 ghz imac with nvidea 9400 benchmarking higher (overall - not in games, obviously) than a $2300 macbook pro. Desktops also run cooler and quieter than laptops, by a lot, and that makes a big difference to me.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
AppleInsider said:
iMacs were just recently refreshed in March but will see another update by fall
I'm a bit surprised it's this soon, they could see CPU bumps but unless Apple goes with quad-core (or "special" CPUs), I'm thinking it'll be similar CPU speeds, lower prices.

We might see Clarksfield if we're lucky.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
i would think so, after all, the price of the MBP's have dropped
I had started reading it as: 'I would think so after all the price [drops] of the MBPs' when I realized that the sentence does not finish like this and I had start afresh.

ayzee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008
But of course. More power and a bigger screen for the same or equal money. Unless you put an (expensive) SSD in a notebook, the 3.5" 7200 rpm HD in an imac will, by itself, make it a faster machine than a notebook. Macworld's benchmarks show a $1200 2.66 ghz imac with nvidea 9400 benchmarking higher (overall - not in games, obviously) than a $2300 macbook pro. Desktops also run cooler and quieter than laptops, by a lot, and that makes a big difference to me.

I think desktops will start getting popular again, as iPhone "like" devices get more & more popular.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
Boring "news". Apple didn't extend their USA price cut to Canada - even though the Canadian dollar improved relative to the USD compared to where it was in October. :(

HarleyMan

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2009
VA
Lower Price, Great!
Free is better but lower price is great, and I don't see free coming down the pike any time soon! :D

bilbo--baggins

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2006
UK
The cost of Mac's have gone up across the board this year, so bringing the price down is definitely needed.

However, I wonder if they will really drop the price of iMacs? Their recent 'price drop' of the MacBook Pro 15" actually involved removing the dedicated graphics card. To get the same specs as the older model actually involved a price rise.

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I think desktops will start getting popular again, as iPhone "like" devices get more & more popular.

Point well taken. I'll be picking up a new iMac when the next update cycle hits to replace my then 6-year old PowerBook. An Apple tablet or the next gen iPhone will be my mobile device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.