Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Substance

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 23, 2003
Bloomington, Illinois, USA
As the title implies, I've got 3 year old G5 iMac sitting as a paperweight at my desk. At least half that time ago the logic board died and I was quoted a repair bill of around $900. I couldn't go with it, but I couldn't decide what to do with it either. I now have to get rid of it and since I know that this model had lots of issues with logic boards I'm hoping some of you will have some good advice.

The options I'm aware of:
1) Sell on E-Bay as-is (might get $50?)
2) Get the logic board replaced by a place I found on Google (costs about $500, but will that logic board last < 18 months as well?) and then sell on eBay
3) Get the logic board replaced and keep

I'm leaning to option 1. I feel that if I knew how widespread this problem was with the line at the time, I would have complained at Apple to do something about it, but now I feel that I've let too much time pass to make such an argument.

Any advice or even well-wishes are most welcome and appreciated. :)

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
G5 iMacs with bad logic boards, but otherwise in good condition, are fetching $150-200 on eBay, depending on screen size and the equipment installed. A 20" with superdrive and airport is going to get more than a 17" combo drive.

BTW, capacitor kits to replace bulging or leaking caps are under $20. I've already rescued a couple of G5's with a handful of caps and the trusty solder iron, solder sucker and about an hour's time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.