PDA

View Full Version : Please explain "Trojan" to a newbie!

mooshoo
May 27, 2004, 12:46 PM
Well, actually, I sort of know what it is. But, since I'm not technically savvy, I need to know how to avoid this problem.

An example:
I was surfing the web (ahem, it was a freebie pron site), and once in a while the download pop-up page would come up, indicating that it was auto-downloading something (in this specific case, something called RAM.ram). Obviously I didn't open it; I deleted it immediatley. What I want to know is how to prevent the downloadinng from happening, unless I initiate it myself.

Thanks!

jeremy.king
May 27, 2004, 12:56 PM
A Trojan is a program that is installed or copied to your computer undetected. Once installed (and mostly in the Windows world) that program will grant an unauthorized user access to your computer at some level.

A .ram file is a real audio stream, but its possible the file that automatically downloaded was trying to make use of an exploit in real player or something.

Either way, you made the right move by deleting it and not opening the file.

This is a much bigger problem in for PC users, but its always a good thing to know.

MisterMe
May 27, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well, actually, I sort of know what it is. But, since I'm not technically savvy, I need to know how to avoid this problem.

An example:
I was surfing the web (ahem, it was a freebie pron site), and once in a while the download pop-up page would come up, indicating that it was auto-downloading something (in this specific case, something called RAM.ram). Obviously I didn't open it; I deleted it immediatley. What I want to know is how to prevent the downloadinng from happening, unless I initiate it myself.

Thanks!A .ram file is a Real media file. In the last few weeks, there was a scare--unconfirmed in the wild--of applications that masquerade as media files. If such a file were a threat to MacOS X, this is what it would be. Since the scare, however, Apple has released patches to eliminate this already vanishingly small threat.

In general, a Trojan Horse is a malicious program that pretends to be something else. Usually the something else is something that you really want to use. The something else is usually something that you are not entitled to, as well.

adt
May 27, 2004, 01:04 PM
Trojan comes from the term 'trojan horse', like the movie 'Troy'.

Google is a good place to start. Try:

http://www.google.com/search?q=trojan&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22trojan+horse%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Auto-download can be toggled OFF by using Tools > Internet Options for Windows/IE users.

mooshoo
May 27, 2004, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Is there a way to toggle off the auto-download feature in OSX?

janey
May 27, 2004, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Is there a way to toggle off the auto-download feature in OSX?
Umm dont click on them? ;)
Or install RealPlayer and use them
btw, wikipedia is always a great place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_horse_(computing)

question fear
May 27, 2004, 03:19 PM
i was really hoping this was going to be a thread about the other kind of trojans....
i swear i heard "trojan man" as i clicked it...
-carly

Sun Baked
May 27, 2004, 03:27 PM
i was really hoping this was going to be a thread about the other kind of trojans....
i swear i heard "trojan man" as i clicked it...
-carlyWell they do have that new TV commercial running.

"It heats up when you use it..." :rolleyes:

Of course the Darwin Awards site probably has a couple ways NOT to use Trojans.

krimson
May 27, 2004, 03:43 PM
Down with USC! :mad:

FuzzyBallz
May 28, 2004, 12:32 PM
Down with USC! :mad:

LOL. Go Bruins!

krimson
May 28, 2004, 12:47 PM
exactly! :rolleyes: