Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UA412

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2008
Ok so I bought a brand new 2G (Original) iphone off of ebay and finally got it in. I know a little when it comes to jailbreaking because I did it a long time ago when the first ipod touches came out but haven't done it since and I'm guessing things have changed a lot. I just entered my sim and don't know where to go from here. Don't know what firmware, baseband(Don't even know if this term is right?), or whatever it has... Also I'll be using it on the T-Mobile network.

Thanks in advance.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Are the programs used in that tut available for Mac? Also thanks for the help.

Yes, infact PwnageTool and many of the advanced tools are ONLY for Mac :)

Simply put, do this

1. Download iPhone 3.0 Software Update from Apple...If you are using Safari, make sure the "Open Safe Files" is unchecked. Remove the .zip from the end of .ipsw. I suggest you use FireFox to download the IPSW however.
2. Download Pwnage Tool for Mac
3. Click on iPhone and make sure BootNeuter is checked if you are using Expert Mode, follow the instructions on the screen. THis will get you into DFU Mode.
4. Once in DFU Mode, Open up iTunes, hold down Option while clicking Restore. Select the new custom firmware, and your iPhone should be unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.