Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

track09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Hey everyone,

I just recently purchased a baseline iMac 24", and MacBook Pro 13" (Higher end 13 model) in the last two weeks. So far I'm loving them, but now I have no use for my iMac G3 which previously was serving the purpose of being my Mac (I had a PC desktop and laptop).

So my question is this, what should I do with this machine now?

I have the following operating systems given to me:
Mac OS X 10.2
Mac OS X 10.3
Mac OS X 10.3 Server (Unl. Client)
Mac OS 9.2 Retail
Mac OS 9 Retail
Mac OS 8.6 Retail
Mac OS 8.5.1 Retail

I have Office 2004 for OS X, but I know someone who has a lot of old classic software they're willing to part with (Photoshop 6/Office 98) on disc. I can also get some games. It DOES seem I can manage to get more software for classic.

This machine will serve next to no purpose on the internet. But I would like it to be able to network with my current Macs.

My question is this. How well will it work with OS X as a Server, vs how well will it work with classic? Some people tell me these machines were better designed to run with 8.6-9.22 in mind.

Here's the specs:
333 MHz G3
160 MB SDRAM 66
15 GB Quantum Fireball LCT
ATI RAGE 6MB

So I appreciate any feedback. I have a perfect place for it to be set up, and I do not want to get rid of it, but I would like to give it some kind of purpose.

Thanks in advance,
Steve:apple:

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Too slow and not enough storage to be a server. If you want a server, get a 667 MHz G4.

I'd put OS 9.2 on there. It is easy enough to network and will work lightning fast. Like you said, there are some great apps for OS 9. My favorite is Hypercard.

track09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Too slow and not enough storage to be a server. If you want a server, get a 667 MHz G4.

I'd put OS 9.2 on there. It is easy enough to network and will work lightning fast. Like you said, there are some great apps for OS 9. My favorite is Hypercard.

Thanks for the input!

I am inclined to agree here. It IS lightening fast with any version of the classic OS. I am going to now install OS9 and set it up. My initial thought was to make it a dedicated classic box (I always used Windows until recently, so I only ever dabbled with classic).

Plus, classic is a great distraction free work environment when doing stuff in MS Office.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
Excellent choice.

Getting networking going is a hassle, though. I set my original iMac 233 up to use internet sharing from my Mac mini and then turned AppleTalk on. Depending on your configuration, it may be harder.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
I have an old iMac Blueberry 333MHz sitting around right now that I am trying to figure out what to do with....considering donating it to Goodwill. I cannot for the best of me trash any Mac, at all. The old Mac can run (and I have installed) OS X 10.2 Jaguar. I think it may run Panther as well. BUT -- both of these OSes run super slow and it really doesn't make sense. I installed OS X on the old iMac due to internet problems when running IE5 with OS 9.2.2 -- the pages do not load properly anymore, the internet coding that is being used today just doesn't stack up to what was the norm in 2000. Pages just load all funky and garbled in IE 5.2. Safari was the only choice (or Firefox) but you have to be running OS X to run these browsers....thus SLOW. So, I have this clunker iMac sitting right next to me, and I'm using a 20" 2.0GHz iMac running Leopard now, which all runs great. The clunker, I mean the old 333MHz which is just sitting there, not turned on, taking up space. It's beautiful, yes, a neat looking machine, but it won't surf the internet to save it's life. I think Goodwill will probably be the answer. Somebody out there needs a learner machine that they can run Bugdom on to have some fun.

track09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
I have an old iMac Blueberry 333MHz sitting around right now that I am trying to figure out what to do with....considering donating it to Goodwill. I cannot for the best of me trash any Mac, at all. The old Mac can run (and I have installed) OS X 10.2 Jaguar. I think it may run Panther as well. BUT -- both of these OSes run super slow and it really doesn't make sense. I installed OS X on the old iMac due to internet problems when running IE5 with OS 9.2.2 -- the pages do not load properly anymore, the internet coding that is being used today just doesn't stack up to what was the norm in 2000. Pages just load all funky and garbled in IE 5.2. Safari was the only choice (or Firefox) but you have to be running OS X to run these browsers....thus SLOW. So, I have this clunker iMac sitting right next to me, and I'm using a 20" 2.0GHz iMac running Leopard now, which all runs great. The clunker, I mean the old 333MHz which is just sitting there, not turned on, taking up space. It's beautiful, yes, a neat looking machine, but it won't surf the internet to save it's life. I think Goodwill will probably be the answer. Somebody out there needs a learner machine that they can run Bugdom on to have some fun.

Exactly. It will run panther, FYI.

However, the internet, even with a modern browser, is slow on OS 9. But if it's not your primary machine, there's really no reason to need the internet on it. The WamCom project keeps the latest possible build of Mozilla for OS 9 up to date (although the project itself is getting abandoned). iCab 3 also works well. Enough for basic news sweeps and downloading apps. However, this machine is NOT ideal for browsing regularly.

Internet on panther = Slow & sort of broken
Internet on Jaguar = Slower and broken
Internet on OS 9 = Slowish and broken.

@ Shake n' Bake
Good point. I may not even bother to network. With the size of USB sticks today, any file transfers I can probably do that way.

But like we've agreed, with a new iMac and MBP on the internet, this machine has plenty of purposes running software that was machine centric (ex. Designed without the internet in mind). These were right when the internet began to take off, thus a lot of their software is great offline.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
The machine is at a lag with Jaguar or Panther, although they will install and run on it (333MHz iMac 384MB RAM). The fastest setup is with OS 9.2, but browser-wise you are limited to iCab or IE 5.2. Neither one works out very well and most websites are left looking chopped up or will not load at all. The old iMacs simply are not very good internet machines. I would say a 1GHz G4 running Tiger is about the minimal Mac for a decent internet experience by today's standards. I operated on a 1GHz upgraded G4 tower for quite awhile with OS X Panther and Tiger and I had no problem loading pages with the latest version of safari or firefox. Simply put, these old iMacs really can't run the latest version of Safari or Firefox and they are left running older OS 9 browsers that can't load squat, if they want to maintain good system speed. System speed lags to a halt when running OS X. By "old iMacs" I am referring to the old G3 iMacs (233MHz rev a and b, 266MHz, 333MHz, 400MHz, 450MHz, 500MHz). Although I suspect the 500MHz machines may run OS X at a much faster speed than the earlier Macs. I really only think the G4 Macs and higher stand the best chance at a pleasant web surfing experience under OS X.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.