Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
ok, i have a site up for listening to music. i know it could be setup differently, and i'm open to suggestions, but for now, it works.

anyways, the site is here

right now the bad thing is that you have to hit the back button after you play a song to get to the index (list of songs to play)

but right now, users can right click on a song and download it. how can i stop this from happening? is this a permissions problem?

thanks

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
Permissions won't help. If they can hear/see it they can get it. You can use a Flash player to stream the content. You could embed the media in a embed/object tag, but this won't protect it either, but it would take away the right-click and save as options from the visitor.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Permissions won't help. If they can hear/see it they can get it. You can use a Flash player to stream the content. You could embed the media in a embed/object tag, but this won't protect it either, but it would take away the right-click and save as options from the visitor.

thanks for the reply. did you take a look at the site? is there an easy way to get it to play in a php web page? so i can have a link to click to get back to the index, or even play inside the index?

thanks

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Are you absolutely sure about the legalities of putting up songs on a website? This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Any way - all you can do is make it harder for people to download but anyone with sufficient knowledge and tools is going to get to the songs anyway.

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
thanks for the reply. did you take a look at the site? is there an easy way to get it to play in a php web page? so i can have a link to click to get back to the index, or even play inside the index?

thanks

I don't use audio/video on sites, partly because it can be a pain. I'd have to work from a tutorial like this one. You should also look a this other thread here and visit some of the links to explore other possibilities.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Are you absolutely sure about the legalities of putting up songs on a website? This does not sound like a good idea to me.

Any way - all you can do is make it harder for people to download but anyone with sufficient knowledge and tools is going to get to the songs anyway.

thanks for the reply.

you might be right. i'm not trying to bring attention to this site, just for me to be able to listen to my music where ever i am.

I don't use audio/video on sites, partly because it can be a pain. I'd have to work from a tutorial like this one. You should also look a this other thread here and visit some of the links to explore other possibilities.

thanks. i'll look at both of those links

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
you might be right. i'm not trying to bring attention to this site, just for me to be able to listen to my music where ever i am.

Oh - so in that case why don't you simply enable authentication on the web server and keep the user id and password to yourself? If you tell what web server you are running I might be able to tell you have - that is going to be way quicker than embedding and streaming.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Oh - so in that case why don't you simply enable authentication on the web server and keep the user id and password to yourself? If you tell what web server you are running I might be able to tell you have - that is going to be way quicker than embedding and streaming.

i'm hosting this on my own - it's just leopard running apache and mysql and php. i kinda like php, so that's another reason i made the site. i have a few other php sites that i made as well (nothing to do with streaming)

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
i'm hosting this on my own - it's just leopard running apache and mysql and php. i kinda like php, so that's another reason i made the site. i have a few other php sites that i made as well (nothing to do with streaming)

See the below URL for a hint on how to enable BASIC authentication for Apache - this should prevent anyone else from downloading the songs - only people who know the password can get to it -

http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/12005-howto-password-protect-apache-folders.html

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
See the below URL for a hint on how to enable BASIC authentication for Apache - this should prevent anyone else from downloading the songs - only people who know the password can get to it -

http://macosx.com/forums/howto-faqs/12005-howto-password-protect-apache-folders.html

thanks. i'll check out the link

EDIT: after looking at the link, i have a question: will people that doesn't have the username and password be able to still play the music files? will they be able to view the site at all?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.