Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
I don't know if there are others out there that have had this problem and fixed it, but here it goes.

I have a PS3 that is on the newest firmware receiving wireless signal from the newest generation AEBS. I have the network set up with a WPA/WPA2 Personal security. My ISP is AT&T Fast Access running at 6mb, so there should be no problems with download speeds. I just downloaded an update for one of my games that was 128mb and it took 15 minutes to complete.

Anyone have any ideas that could help with my speeds?

Thanks in advance.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
I have been doing some reading and some people are getting some nice speeds by getting their PS3 to go to a NAT Type 2 setup. I have found out how to do it on other routers but the tutorials don't tell me how to do it with an AEBS. I also could have sworn that I had gotten some better speeds on my PS3 before now, but it could have been a dream lol.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
From the looks of it, the PS3 wifi adapter is just slow for no good reason. It doesn't seem to be a port issue. People have tried wireless adapters connected to the ethernet port and it goes faster. It sounds like for some reason Sony capped the wireless transfer rate.

Of course I'd be thrilled if somebody else posted and corrected me and showed us how to fix it... but from what I can tell it's not a problem with your router, just the wireless adapter in the PS3.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
Well that figures. I think it is nice that you can rent movies on there but I went to ret one a couple of weeks back and it had to re-buffer MANY times before I could watch the movie. My wife and I ate dinner and watched another 1 hr show on our DVR and it still allow us to watch it all at one time. I rented Babylon AD on it months ago and I was able to watch it without any buffer issues, I can't remember how long I let it download before I started watching it but I can't believe it was more than maybe 20-30 minutes. I guess Sony won't get any more of my movie rental money until they get this issue worked out. I will just have to look into getting an appleTV, but that will be a while because I have other things to spend that kind of money on right now.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
From the looks of it, the PS3 wifi adapter is just slow for no good reason. It doesn't seem to be a port issue. People have tried wireless adapters connected to the ethernet port and it goes faster. It sounds like for some reason Sony capped the wireless transfer rate.

Of course I'd be thrilled if somebody else posted and corrected me and showed us how to fix it... but from what I can tell it's not a problem with your router, just the wireless adapter in the PS3.

There are a lot of factors to this. The distance to your router, any interference between the two devices, the type of router you use. The list goes on and on. The WiFi device in a PS3 is pretty standard, basically the same chipset you would see in any other device, as well the power is gained up more than most PCI/PCI-E consumer devices.

I have no issues with my wifi, I have fast downloads and I have fast enough streaming to watch full length movies carrying a DD soundtrack with no issues. The internet tends to have squeaky wheel syndrome, while you may see "a lot" of complaints it is not the norm, is just the vocal minority.

I run Cisco Aironet wifi access points on a gigabit Cisco backbone network, there is a AP in the living room and upstairs as I wanted to make sure the signal was ample wherever I was.

9/10 the issue is with how the network is setup and has nothing to do with the PS3. Make sure your AP is not upstairs and the PS3 is downstairs then wonder why the speed is so slow. While the hardware in the PS3 is not perfect it is using good components. However no matter how good the compenents are it cannot compensate for poor network design or people that just cannot be satisfied.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It's just odd. My current wireless devices are my PS3, iPhone, Macbook Air, Wii, my Work laptop (dell), and Mac Pro. The PS3 is the device physically closest to my AEBS (in the same room!) although maybe the Wii is closer (it sits above the PS3). My Mac Pro is about as far away as possible (up two sets of stairs and on the other side of the house) and of course the laptops and iPhone roam about. My PS3 is the only device that feels slow when downloading.

I read through this thread on the Sony forums and while I personally haven't done any tests at least one user there claimed to have tested a wireless dongle. Using the dongle they had faster speeds than using the built in wi-fi which seems odd to me.

Of course wireless in general is a pain in the butt with about a billion factors contributing to speed but... yeah. I could just run a cable I guess since they are about 4 feet from each other. I just hate running cables if I don't have to.

Anyway... to the OP... I think your router is fine... some people have luck with PS3 wireless and some don't. I wonder if certain models have better luck?

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
There are a lot of factors to this. The distance to your router, any interference between the two devices, the type of router you use. The list goes on and on. The WiFi device in a PS3 is pretty standard, basically the same chipset you would see in any other device, as well the power is gained up more than most PCI/PCI-E consumer devices.

I have no issues with my wifi, I have fast downloads and I have fast enough streaming to watch full length movies carrying a DD soundtrack with no issues. The internet tends to have squeaky wheel syndrome, while you may see "a lot" of complaints it is not the norm, is just the vocal minority.

I run Cisco Aironet wifi access points on a gigabit Cisco backbone network, there is a AP in the living room and upstairs as I wanted to make sure the signal was ample wherever I was.

9/10 the issue is with how the network is setup and has nothing to do with the PS3. Make sure your AP is not upstairs and the PS3 is downstairs then wonder why the speed is so slow. While the hardware in the PS3 is not perfect it is using good components. However no matter how good the compenents are it cannot compensate for poor network design or people that just cannot be satisfied.

I will explain a little more about the layout of my house.

House:
Split Level House
There is 1 wall between my AEBS and my PS3. There is a 3x3 metal piece of art on the side of the wall that is in the living room (where my PS3 and Wii are). In my computer room I have my G5 and a 19" wide screen monitor on the wall common with the living room.

Things I have tested:
PS3 in computer room. I have hooked the PS3 into the TV in the computer room and ran it wireless and I have gotten slightly better speeds but it was nothing to jump up and down about.

This is from my AEBS utility:
35m1w5x.jpg

I can also go out to my back yard and get GREAT speeds through both my MBP and my wife's MB. This is with 4 walls between us and the AEBS.

As for satisfaction, I am ok with the speeds I am getting. I just know it should be a heck of a lot faster than what it is.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I have a PS3 and 360 side by side, on the same WiFi network, connecting to the same UPnp server (have tried several - Rivet, Vuze, MediaLink etc.), playing the same media file, and every time, the 360 plays the movies with no issues, the PS3 stops, stutters, buffers...

I wish it were the other way around, the 360 is just too noisy to be a decent media extender, but unfortunately the PS3 just isn't up to it, even for low-resolution videos. It's fine for playing music, except there's a very long delay (up to 15 seconds) to start playing the next song.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
What model PS3 do you have? I have the same problem with my original launch 60GB PS3 (North America). The PS3 will connect to the Time Capsule network OK. It complains about the lack of uPNP. However, downloads, PSN previews, etc are extremely slow.

I ended up purchasing an AirPort Express to connect via Ethernet to the PS3. Now, it functions fine. I'm convinced that it's the PS3's wireless card. I don't have any problems with the Wii, XBOX 360 (using Microsoft's wireless adapter) or my Apple TV.

cmcconkey

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
Rocky Face, GA
What model PS3 do you have? I have the same problem with my original launch 60GB PS3 (North America). The PS3 will connect to the Time Capsule network OK. It complains about the lack of uPNP. However, downloads, PSN previews, etc are extremely slow.

I ended up purchasing an AirPort Express to connect via Ethernet to the PS3. Now, it functions fine. I'm convinced that it's the PS3's wireless card. I don't have any problems with the Wii, XBOX 360 (using Microsoft's wireless adapter) or my Apple TV.

I have the current version 80gb (modded to 500gb) North America. I decided to rent a movie on it since there wasn't jack on tonight. I rented 12 Rounds (Extreme Cut), weighing in at 1783mb, at about 6:20 this evening and now at 12:01am it has downloaded 66%, yes I have been watching it but I had let it get to 42% before I started it. I guess I am just going to break down and get a Airport Express to connect it into and bypass the wireless card. I will probably borrow the one from work tomorrow before I go and sink the money into buying one. This is REALLY ANNOYING, spending this much money on a gaming system and it running like this. Anyway, I will update tomorrow on how it runs through the Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.