Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
does anyone know more about the mic input jack in the back of my powerbook? is it line level or mic level? are there 2 channels (stereo)? and finally, could some kind of xlr adaptor jack be fashioned to connect microphones into it? i've seen a 1/4 inch one for guitars, but that makes me think it has to be line level. anything already out there for something like this? thanks.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
it is a standard line-level unbalanced stereo plug, which means that in order to record something with a mic, you will need a mic preamplifier (that amplifies the mic signal to a line level).

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 19, 2004
that's what i was afraid of. i was kind of assuming it was basically the opposite of the headphone jack, but was hoping it could be more.

ideally i would like to get something like a digidesign 002 with 8 xlr inputs that interfaces via the firewire jack, but i was just looking for an quick and cheap alternative to tide me over while i saved up and figured out what exactly it is i'm saving up for. thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.