Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
Hey everyone. My library has gotten pretty large, and that makes it more and more difficult to keep things handy. When I used to buy CDs, it was easy to just keep the new ones with me. But now I buy most of my music on itunes and new purchases can easily slip through the cracks.

What I'm interested in is a way to manage my new music so I can easily browse my new material and find my newer albums. I have tried a smart playlist, with the criteria being music added within the last 6 months from the itunes store... but it seems as though I can't get it to sort the albums, and it just ends up being one long playlist with no way to pick an album from within this list. Any suggestions? Thanks

Nadinengland

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
Yorkshire, UK
I've gone through what you said and created a Smart Playlist with the appropriate rules, then I was just able to do the normal thing or sorting by the column headers. Didn't come across any problems in doing that, so unsure what your problem is.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
Have you tried pressing the little arrow at the top left of your playlist view? It goes without saying the list should be ordered by Album too.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
yeah. thanks guys. The problem is not while in itunes, but rather I want to be able to easily navigate by album on my ipod.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
The sort order on the iPod is the same as the column you've selected on the Playlist in iTunes before you sync. Sort by album in the playlist in iTunes, and re-sync, and it should be ordered by album in the iPod.

bozz2006

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 24, 2007
Minnesota
right, and that is a decent work-around. However, I want to be able to actually browse by album, and not just by songs that are in album order, the same way you can do it with the entire library... something like that anyhow. That work-around would be OK, but if I can figure out a way to browse through these albums without having to scroll through every song in the album before getting to the next one, that would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.