PDA

View Full Version : The Call of Duty Demo has been released...

invaLPsion
May 28, 2004, 11:36 AM
I intend to dowload it as soon as I get home.

Does anybody know how it has been playing on powerbooks?

Veldek
May 28, 2004, 11:58 AM
Okay, first of all my Powerbook isn't as good as yours. It's the 15 inch AlBook released before yours, with a 1.25GHz G4, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600 64MB, 80GB 5400 RPM hard drive and Superdrive.

I'm currently on the third Russian mission and am running the game at 1280x854 resolution, with all details set to "High" (not "Max" - that setting absolutely shreds my FPS, but to be honest "High" still looks gorgeous!), trilinear filtering, 32-bit texture depth, wall decals on, ejecting brass on, dynamic lighting on everything, nicest world dynamic lighting, models on maximum, blood on, corpses on medium and sound quality at 44khz. I'm assuming that I've got FSAA off since ATi Displays doesn't work on my PB and the only things I've done in the console are set the resolution and checked my FPS.

The developer logo movies (after the Aspyr movie) don't display anything since I changed to 1280x854 res, but you can still hear them and skip them. The actual game plays at a steady average of 29 FPS, with occasional rises to around 45 FPS, depending on what's going on. Never dips below 27 FPS - except for the first Stalingrad mission. That nets you an arthritic 9 FPS, but then loads of stuff is going off all over the place in that mission, so it could well be the CPU's fault that performance is so dire. Besides which, it's a short, simple mission - I did it first time despite the poor frame rate.

This is, of course, just for the SP mode - I'm waiting for the 1.4 patch before venturing into the MP mode.

CoD is a terrific game that performs superbly on my Powerbook - yours will lap it up, no trouble. Buy it now!

For everyone who is interested in the demo, download it here:

http://www.macgamefiles.com/detail.php?item=18195

PowermacG5
May 28, 2004, 12:19 PM
FORGET THE DEMO WHERE IS MY 1.4 Patch!

vsp
May 28, 2004, 01:23 PM
Just downloaded the demo. When I try and unstuff the sucker it runs all the way through and then Stuffit Expander gives me an error:

An error has occurred while expanding the file "CODDemo.sit" (Format error).
Error #17540

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know what that error is?

Thanks
Vince

HiRez
May 28, 2004, 02:19 PM
Just downloaded the demo. When I try and unstuff the sucker it runs all the way through and then Stuffit Expander gives me an error:At least you got the file! Servers are giving me a 15 hr. time estimate to download that pig! DSL too, yuck.

Darwin
May 28, 2004, 02:27 PM
Just downloaded the demo. When I try and unstuff the sucker it runs all the way through and then Stuffit Expander gives me an error:

An error has occurred while expanding the file "CODDemo.sit" (Format error).
Error #17540

Is anyone else having this problem? Anyone know what that error is?

Thanks
Vince

Same here, it was really annoying though waiting then it doesn't even expand properly :(

It don't know what the problem is but it seems to affect those few since I'm downloading from the same place as everyone else

vsp
May 28, 2004, 03:00 PM
Same here, it was really annoying though waiting then it doesn't even expand properly :(

It don't know what the problem is but it seems to affect those few since I'm downloading from the same place as everyone else

I just downloaded it again and everything expanded fine. Played about 5 minutes of it and found various ways of getting killed quickly (walk into mine field, mortar shell while hiding behind a dead cow, standing up too soon, crouching too long, staying away from the fence, getting too close to the fence).

Sure is chaotic. I suppose I'll take a huge breath if I ever get passed the fence.

Good luck getting a clean copy
Vince

applemacdude
May 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
Well theres only one level in the demo...that sucks..

MacsRgr8
May 28, 2004, 03:21 PM
FORGET THE DEMO WHERE IS MY 1.4 Patch!

Patch your sig too, will ya!

Running 10.3.4 I suppose :D

evil
May 28, 2004, 04:40 PM
anyone know if its the same as the windows version demo?

vsp
May 28, 2004, 04:56 PM
By the way, I wasn't stunned by how it ran on my computer (AL 15 PB, 1.25, 512 RAM) but I only played for five minutes and didn't tinker with any of the settings.
Wasn't stunned but I'm sure with a bit of tinkering it'll play just fine for my tastes.

Vince

Maclarny
May 28, 2004, 06:08 PM
Demo runs like sh$@ on my 1.6 Ghz G5 w/ geforce 5200 Ultra. Whereas it ran beautifully on my Athlon64 w/ regular 5200. As far as I can tell this port, at least this demo is, horribly done.

James L
May 28, 2004, 06:26 PM
I have to say, after all the people I have heard brag about how smooth the game ran, that I wasn't that impressed with the demo. It ran ok, but not buttery smooth like some people mentioned.

That is on a 1.5 PB with ATI 9700 card

invaLPsion
May 28, 2004, 06:36 PM
I have to say, after all the people I have heard brag about how smooth the game ran, that I wasn't that impressed with the demo. It ran ok, but not buttery smooth like some people mentioned.

That is on a 1.5 PB with ATI 9700 card

Same here. Must be a bad demo. THE GAME RECOGNIZED MY CARD AS A 9600!!!????? This demo is messed...

neonart
May 28, 2004, 08:30 PM
I only played for a few minutes and it was very good, even under heavy explosions and firefights.

I'll try it again with more time and we'll see how it does.

Holy cow! Very intense gameplay. I hope it clams down a bit into the level!

psycho bob
May 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
The demo runs fine on my 1.6 G5 even with 2 monitors connected (ATI 9600) but I can't get the console to appear in the game so I can't adjust the screen resolution for widescreen. Anybody managed this?

James L
May 28, 2004, 09:19 PM
What would be cool is if someone who already has the full version could install the demo and compare them.

mowogg
May 28, 2004, 10:11 PM
This is a little off the thread, but I have a question about CoD. I have the full version and have been playing both the SP & MP versions. On the score panel (access via the tab key) there are dog tag symbols next to some of the player names. They don't seem to signify anything and the manual doesn't make mention of them.

Does anybody know what the dog tags mean?

Great game BTW. Sorry to hear about the demo speed issues. I'd download it and compare it to the full game as someone suggested, but I don't want to eat up bandwidth for those who don't have the full game yet and are itching to try it out.

ExoticFish
May 29, 2004, 02:00 AM
great demo, but my little 12" just doesn't seem to cut the mustard. although now that i think about it i had apache and mysql running... i'll have to remember to turn those off and try again. but i beat the demo, it was really good except for how slow it ran.

turbojugend
May 29, 2004, 06:44 AM
there is a very good readme file that comes with the demo, with the most important ways to increase performance listed (either by bringing down console, or opening up the config file). I get 20-25 fps (Update: at places 30-40) on my 867 Mgz G4 PB, which is not great, but good enough for me. I've ordered it, can't wait to play the whole thing. Third great game I buy in under two months (UT2k4, Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield, both ace!). More and more great games are ported to the Mac, it seems. I may never have to go ouside again. :p

I'm suprised no one mentioned the MG's. Man are they cool! You get scared and a boner at the same time. :D

Hydra
May 29, 2004, 07:23 AM
Same here. Must be a bad demo. THE GAME RECOGNIZED MY CARD AS A 9600!!!????? This demo is messed...
Well it's a 9600 in reality...

But sounds like FX5200 won't run it. :(

Maclarny
May 29, 2004, 09:50 AM
This is a little off the thread, but I have a question about CoD. I have the full version and have been playing both the SP & MP versions. On the score panel (access via the tab key) there are dog tag symbols next to some of the player names. They don't seem to signify anything and the manual doesn't make mention of them.

Does anybody know what the dog tags mean?

I believe the dog tags signify that that charater is currently dead and awaiting respawn.

psycho bob
May 29, 2004, 12:44 PM
It would apprear the developers disabled the console in the demo version of the game. There is a way to enable it but I can only get it to work on the PC.
Guess I'll just have to wait for my retail copy to arrive. Amazon.co.uk are stating usually dispatched in 24hrs I've had it ordered since before its launch and still no sign. Patience is needed I feel on my part.

turbojugend
May 30, 2004, 07:05 AM
It would apprear the developers disabled the console in the demo version of the game. There is a way to enable it but I can only get it to work on the PC.
Guess I'll just have to wait for my retail copy to arrive. Amazon.co.uk are stating usually dispatched in 24hrs I've had it ordered since before its launch and still no sign. Patience is needed I feel on my part.

Anything you can do in console, you can also do by opening the config file manually, just like you would with the ini in UT2k4.

neonart
May 30, 2004, 03:24 PM
Man, this is a good game!

The demo is short, but heck, it's free. Very intense. It ran surprisingly well @1600x1200 with everything maxed out. I never really noticed any weird lag or anything, but I don't know how to bring up a FPS counter.

Does anyone know how long the whole game is? The demo left me wanting lots more!

brap
May 30, 2004, 05:19 PM
Man, this is a good game!
Does anyone know how long the whole game is? The demo left me wanting lots more!

It's great, yeah. Stays that intense throughout, I especially like the assault on Stalingrad. I've played through the PC version on my games box, it's hardly Titanic huge, but it'll keep you going for a good few days if you play on the harder levels. I think as an offset to the size they included a much fun multiplayer option, though it's hardly Battlefield 1942...

neonart
May 30, 2004, 08:34 PM
It's great, yeah. Stays that intense throughout, I especially like the assault on Stalingrad. I've played through the PC version on my games box, it's hardly Titanic huge, but it'll keep you going for a good few days if you play on the harder levels. I think as an offset to the size they included a much fun multiplayer option, though it's hardly Battlefield 1942...

That's great! I'm sure add-ons and custom maps and missions will be rolling out as well. I don't play alot everyday, so it should keep me going for a while.