PDA

View Full Version : (Reward for an Answer!!!) Dell Monitor Self Check Issue

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 07:20 PM
Hey guys! I am brand new to MacForums. I just registered tonight hoping you, unlike anyone else could help me.

Okay, here we go:

I have an Intel White iMac. I recently hooked up an external Dell monitor to it using a VGA to Mini-DVI adapter. It is working great, except for one thing. Every time the iMac goes to sleep, or even just puts displays to sleep, the monitor acts like there is no signal and starts that Self-Check feature (that bouncing multi-colored square that you always want to go exactly into the corner but, never does). I cannot figure out why! Don't just say that it's normal because I have seen people with Dell's hooked up to Macs and they do NOT have this issue. Now, I understand it could just be my computer, but, I am looking to get a new Mac soon. I am considering a Mac Pro, and so here is my true question because I don't think anyone will be able to explain for sure why it's happening to me: Does anyone out there have a Mac Pro connected to a Dell Monitor that does not have this problem? I want to know for when I purchase one, because that could make the difference between an Apple Monitor and a Dell Monitor.

Thanks! I am new here and I am hoping my experience will be great! I am told you guys are incredible with answering questions and I know there is no bigger community of Mac Geeks than here... Thanks again!

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 07:29 PM
I have a Dell 2209WA with my early 2008 MBP. I don't have the issue you are describing here. There are several threads about external monitors, if you want to do some additional research.

Mroogle (http://mroogle.edesignuk.com/) is your friend.:)

Edit:

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 07:30 PM
First off, thanks for replying

Second, I have done a TON of research I should have come here earlier but, you guys really are my last hope....

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
By the way, you are sure you do not have this issue? How about when you shut down your MBP? Does it do it then?

Maybe the Ultra-Sharps don't have this problem....

What do you think?

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 07:41 PM
You did your research, good for you! You will fit in very well around here.:D

My monitor shows the little box that says "entering power save mode" and then it goes away completely. It behaves the same when I power down or sleep. Hope this helps.

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hmmm, okay - is there a way that you would be able to disable that box so it just goes to sleep without that popping up?

Thanks

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 07:48 PM
I don't see a setting for that on my monitor itself. There are others who know a lot more about this than I do. Hopefully someone will chime in and help.

Edit: btw, what's the reward for the answer?

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 07:50 PM
Think Geek coupon or QuickTime Pro code. That is only for the full answer though....

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 07:52 PM
Think Geek coupon or QuickTime Pro code. That is only for the full answer though....
Oh, ok, you're serious. Cool. We don't get that around here very often.

Good luck.:)

Whits
Jun 28, 2009, 08:19 PM
Don't have a legit answer for ya, but have you seen this thread? http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=9178767&tstart=0

I didn't read too deep into it but it sounds a bit similar. Good luck!

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 08:36 PM
Okay. Thanks guys.

Of you two can get as many people as possible to see this thread I will give you thr reward of your choice.

Thanks!

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 08:40 PM
Okay. Thanks guys.

Of you two can get as many people as possible to see this thread I will give you thr reward of your choice.

Thanks!
Most of us here really do like to help. It's nice that you are offering a reward, but it's not necessary. The best way to say thank you is to help others in the community.:):cool:

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 08:45 PM
Ok. Thanks got that. All I want to do is get in touch with someone who has a mac pro and a Dell monitor. Well see what happens....

redwarrior
Jun 28, 2009, 08:46 PM
Just wait it out a bit. There are a lot of people on here that fit that criteria.

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 08:53 PM
I understand that. And what keeps on nagging me is this. If everyone with a Dell monitor had this issue, wouldn't there be alot more threads and posts and such online?

Maybe it's just my model number monitor that is having this issue? I don't believe Chris pirillo has this issue at all and he has two dells hooked up to a mac pro.

Oh boy....

fireshot91
Jun 28, 2009, 09:17 PM
I have a G5 connected to a Dell S2209w I think the model number is.

After sleep, it works fine. The monitor also goes to sleep after a certain amount (I don't know, I never counted :P)

theqwertyblog
Jun 28, 2009, 09:21 PM
My question is what happens to the display DURING sleep. Does anything ce up or does it just stay toatlly black?

fireshot91
Jun 28, 2009, 09:32 PM
During the sleeping of Teh Mac's, the displays also go to sleep, and turn off.

You wake the displays up by waking up the computer-moving the mouse/pressing the keyboard.

PrincessPeach
Jun 29, 2009, 04:54 AM
I have an early-2009 Mac Pro and two Dell 2209WA screens. One is connected directly by DVI, the other by the Mini-DisplayPort to (single) DVI adapter.

My setup is such that my monitors sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity. I have never noticed them behaving the way you describe; they just go right from the screensaver to sleep mode (where they go completely black and the blue power button changes to an amber colour). The only time I have ever seen them fail to locate the Mac and get confused is when it's turned off or restarting. I set the Digital (DVI) ports to be the default in the Dell OSD menu. I actually have another machine connected via the VGA port and even then when the main Mac is sleeping the monitors never flick to the VGA machine unless I explicitly force them to. Moving the keyboard/mouse wakes the system and monitors immediately as expected.

I also turn the screens off if I know I'll be away for a really long time and just want them off immediately. When I push the power buttons on them again they still immediately recognise the Mac and work. The only consideration for doing this is that turning them off can turn off the USB ports in the monitor too (if you use them) which might make anything you had plugged in take a moment to start working again.

I haven't tried it with my Mac sleeping before my monitors before. Normally they're the things I want to sleep first ;)

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 06:48 AM
If you answer this one question you will receive the reward.

When you say that you have it connected to another computer over VGA is that one alsways connected to the monitors too? Hiw do you have two computers hooked up to one monitor at the same time? Also, if the second computer is always connected does the displays act like you say they do when the second computer is disconnected? I'm just wondering if maybe the second computer is sending the signal to the display and that's how it knows to enetr power save? I doubt it, but, I just cannot get my Dell to enter power save mode when it's connected to a mac so maybe of tgat second machine is a PC that's what sendig the signal????

Also, just wondering, why does chris pirillos monitors not show the no signal screen even when he is rebooting, but your do?? Is there some setting to turn off that no signal dialogue or somehig that he has turned on but you don't???

Well thanks! You've been extremely helpful! Just Answer these few last questions and you'll have made my day!

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 06:54 AM
Oh one more thing. Do you have it set to just put displays to sleep or the actuall computer to sleep?

Do the displays enter that standby mode when the actuall computer goes to sleep too???

Thanks! And that's it!

PrincessPeach
Jun 29, 2009, 07:31 AM
The displays go to sleep first; they don't react when the computer goes to sleep subsequently. I am happy to test the other way around this evening if you still need or hopefully someone else will have the answer sooner (I'm not at home right now). I don't really need a reward so feel free to offer it up to the first person who can answer that part for you and consider my comments free ;)

My Dell 2209WAs have two ports each, 1x VGA and 1x DVI. I have my Mac Pro connected to the DVI ports and those are set (on the Dell) as the defaults. The other computer (also a Mac, but a really old one) is connected to the VGA port on one of the monitors and I just flick to it manually with the "source" button when I need to. Both are hefty desktops so both are always connected to their respective ports.

Because I only have the VGA computer hooked up to one of the two monitors I can confirm that the displays act the same regardless of whether or not it is connected; the right monitor which only has the Mac Pro connected still sleeps properly without looking for a computer the way you describe. They both go to sleep at the same moment together.

If your Dell has a DVI port as well as VGA it might be worth borrowing an adapter and seeing if it works better with that. It might be defaulting weirdly.

When I reboot it actually shows a static grey box on the screen (not the multicoloured box) which says there is no signal found and then it has a think about what to do and within a few minutes goes to sleep unless the Mac Pro comes up again in time. So it's similar to yours but not identical; perhaps a different version of the Dell monitor software or just something to do with mine defaulting to the digital (DVI) connection?

reebzor
Jun 29, 2009, 08:38 AM
I just wanted to post in here because I have the same problem with my E177FP connected to my Mac Mini via mini DVI-VGA. The display never enters power saver mode, just shows the multicolor box after 15 minutes.

live4ever
Jun 29, 2009, 09:14 AM
Did either of you (theqwertyblog or reebzor) try a Mini-DVI to DVI cable - I bet it is something with VGA connection.

PrincessPeach
Jun 29, 2009, 12:23 PM
Confirmation: If I sleep the Mac Pro with the monitors still on, it just says "Entering Power Save Mode" for a couple of seconds then they sleep (amber light), coming back up immediately when the computer is brought out of sleep. So I'd guess it's either your particular model of monitor or something to do with it being connected by VGA (but perhaps expecting DVI) as has been said.

reebzor
Jun 29, 2009, 03:16 PM
Did either of you (theqwertyblog or reebzor) try a Mini-DVI to DVI cable - I bet it is something with VGA connection.

My monitor only has VGA input, I'm sure his does too.

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
PRINCESS PEACH: Does every time your displays go into power save mode (either from the mac going to sleep, or it just putting the displays to sleep), does it first show "Entering Power Save Mode" and THEN turn off, or does it just go straight black?

If it does show the "Entering Power Save Mode" thing, is there a way to turn that off and have it just go straight to being black?

Also, how do you wake your display from sleep mode? Can you just move the mouse/hit a key on the keyboard? Or do you have to push a button on the actual display?

Thanks!

PrincessPeach
Jun 29, 2009, 06:52 PM
Still home so I can answer in full again - the power save mode comes up for pretty much exactly 2 seconds before they both go black and sleep, when I trigger the sleep on either the Mac or displays. I had to check because normally I don't even notice it happening.

I cannot find an option in the Dell OSD menu to remove the message completely. If you really hate it the best way to get instant black is just to press the power buttons on the screen - instant off (and more energy efficient than sleeping). I expect different models of Dell monitor with different software behave differently.

I wake it by hitting a key on the keyboard. You only have to press a button on the display if you fully turn it off :)

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 07:06 PM
PRINCESS PEACH: Can you move the mouse to wake it too?

Also, when you say that something pops up when the mac is off, what exactly come up?

Can you also take a look at this page: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/3007WFP/EN/ug/setup.htm#Connecting%20Your%20Monitor and see how you think it'll behave sleep wise and all, in comparison to yours? I believe it talks about all that on that actual page although I may be wrong and you may have to "snoop" around a bit... (That's the monitor I', looking to get)

Thanks a ton! I really feel compelled to give you something in return, but, if you don't want anything....

lixuelai
Jun 29, 2009, 08:48 PM
It is a VGA issue between the video card and the LCD itself.

If your LCD has DVI, just get the miniDVI to DVI cable or adapter.

edit: WTF you are using the 3007WFP on VGA?

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 09:08 PM
No way! That's the monitor I WANT to get. I just have some cheap Dell now.

Also, how do you know that it has to do with VGA? Do all monitors with VGA have that issue? Or just mine?

Thanks!

lixuelai
Jun 29, 2009, 09:41 PM
I have seen issues that is similar to that, especially on lower end LCDs (usually older ones as well).

theqwertyblog
Jun 29, 2009, 09:45 PM
Ah ok. Thanks for the response!

theqwertyblog
Jun 30, 2009, 04:00 PM
PRINCESS PEACH: Are you still there? I still had a few more questions that I mentioned above. Try to take a look if you get a chance...

Thanks so much!

PrincessPeach
Jul 1, 2009, 08:21 AM
You can wake the sleeping monitors by moving the mouse, that's right.

When the Mac is off it is the same Power Save Mode thing I think; I honestly rarely read it properly because it vanishes quiet quickly :(

Then they go to sleep if the Mac stays off.

From what your link said the annoying box you see is just because the DVI port isn't being used. That would explain why I never see it and you do. DVI is a lot better than VGA in other ways too so if you do end up getting that one I completely recommend connecting over it; the multicoloured box should be gone for good.

VeryOldTimer
Jul 1, 2009, 10:15 AM
I have had this exact problem (on a PC) and have solved it. I recently swapped out a 15" Viewsonic lcd monitor with this Dell and I was too lazy to move the VGA cable. I was getting the same symptoms you are. PC goes to sleep and monitor shows the self-test screen. I figured it must be a missing pin or something in the cable itself so I swapped out the Viewsonic cable with the one that came with the Dell monitor. Now it goes to sleep exactly like it should.

So you should get the original VGA cable first and make sure that works ok on a VGA port. Then try your VGA to Mini-DVI adapter. If that doesn't work look for a VGA to Mini-DVI adapter that carries all the signals properly.

theqwertyblog
Jul 1, 2009, 03:23 PM
PRINCESS PEACH: So you are saying that when the mac goes to sleep the display goes into Power Save mode just like when you set the mac to put displays to sleep?

Also, if that is the case I remember you saying that the thing that popped up when the mac was off stayed on longer than when the mac put displays to sleep. Is that true? If the same thing does happen when the mac is off as when you just put the displays to sleep, why does the pop up stay on longer when the mac is off? Or doesn't it?

Anyway, thanks a ton! I believe that was the last of my questions.

theqwertyblog
Jul 1, 2009, 03:26 PM
I have had this exact problem (on a PC) and have solved it. I recently swapped out a 15" Viewsonic lcd monitor with this Dell and I was too lazy to move the VGA cable. I was getting the same symptoms you are. PC goes to sleep and monitor shows the self-test screen. I figured it must be a missing pin or something in the cable itself so I swapped out the Viewsonic cable with the one that came with the Dell monitor. Now it goes to sleep exactly like it should.

So you should get the original VGA cable first and make sure that works ok on a VGA port. Then try your VGA to Mini-DVI adapter. If that doesn't work look for a VGA to Mini-DVI adapter that carries all the signals properly.

Nah. That is definitely not the issue. Mac send out sleep signals differently than PCs and apparently only DVI cables can carry it to the monitor. What happens after that is up to the monitor (wether some "entering power save mode" screen appears for a few seconds or not...). And I believe when the mac is off the same thing will happen. The mac will send the signal to the display to sleep, and it'll go into power save mode or whatever. Basically the fix for me is a nice new Dell 3007WFP monitor. Some day.... some day...