Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smeind

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
I'm heading to College next year, and i'm in desperate need of a new bookbag. Considering I'll be using it everyday for the next 4 years.. I figure I should get one that will hold up.. and look nice!

So, what bookbags do you guys use? Do you like them? Flaws?

So far i'm thinking about getting
BAh7CWkKIgo2MDB4MGkLbCsHu3-DSWkHaQtpCGkC0mM.jpg

What do you think?

Spares

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
if your looking for bang for your buck, check LL BEAN, lifetime warranty if anything, and i mean anything happens they replace it no questions asked... change the colour if ya wanna. Only flaw is the zipper somtimes eats the zipper flap and gets jammed.(sounds pretty vague but classic zipper jam)

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
I have a Dakine Explorer in the "black chop shop" color.

Really love the bag and have nothing but good to say about Dakine.

Even has a nice space reserved for my macbook!!

Here's a link
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QORAMK/ref=asc_df_B001QORAMK835529/?tag=nextag-sports-mp-delta-20&creative=380333&creativeASIN=B001QORAMK&linkCode=asn

Also, I have a northface and although it is nice, has too many straps and zippers and all that rubbish. I just like the design of the Dakine better.

edit: both the Dakine and Northface bags have lifetime warantees

Ohhhhhh and if you dont mind white i found it for $25 with 5 bucks shipping...

http://www.tactics.com/dakine/explorer-backpack

brax.j

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
Palo Alto, CA
If you want a solid bookbag that doesn't have a dedicated laptop place I would recommend Dakine. If you want a spot specifically for your laptop Brenthaven makes amazing bags that hold up really well.
On days I drive to work I have this bag.
8120-060_SWITCH_WE-GCP.jpg

When ever I ride my bike to work I use this bag.
TV980

bobpensik

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2003
Calgary, AB
I'm not sure where you live, but I have been using this backpack for the last 6 years of going to University and I got it from MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op). It has stood up to more abuse and heavy loads then I care to remember and has never flinched.

Picture1-6.png

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
I only buy the 2007 model of North Face bags. The new ones are CRAP!

I own this one in all black and another in brown.
0994691X4.jpg

I also own the '98 or '97 model of Hot Shot (before they had laptop sleeves/ waterproofing/ the name on the bag itself)
resize

And then the cheepy jansports!

kymac

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
portland
I only buy the 2007 model of North Face bags. The new ones are CRAP!

how are they different? i had an '03 recon up until last month when i had to replace it with the new recon.. the bag is entirely similar except a few minor design tweaks to the outside..

also i recommend any north face bag.. esp. the recon because of the outer net, laptop holder, and water-bottle pockets.

AlecG.

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2009
I've used this one for a year and it's worked really well for me. Lots of room in the main compartment, a bunch of pockets in the front slot, ipod pocket, drink pocket, bottom/side compartments, and a laptop slot. Ogio has a lifetime warranty on their bags as well.

Attachments

• metro_black_09_500x.jpg
    metro_black_09_500x.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 185

duncanapple

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
here is a pic (not my pic) of the bag I just got. These things are built like tanks, very protective as well. Not sure you can beat a crumpler bag, though they are a little pricey upfront (this was $145)

Attachments

• y1p4Zh7N7aL2eIjDuUzaI1p_yqLWRlssNYSDJ51RG0HVkJCOtsWBmf0waBg5nPZccFDwcckgyXa2nt34XsR9pNECC2P0LWt.jpeg
    y1p4Zh7N7aL2eIjDuUzaI1p_yqLWRlssNYSDJ51RG0HVkJCOtsWBmf0waBg5nPZccFDwcckgyXa2nt34XsR9pNECC2P0LWt.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 209

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
how are they different? i had an '03 recon up until last month when i had to replace it with the new recon.. the bag is entirely similar except a few minor design tweaks to the outside..

also i recommend any north face bag.. esp. the recon because of the outer net, laptop holder, and water-bottle pockets.

My goal whenever buying a new North Face bag, which isn't too often to begin with because they last forever, (Usually it's because my previous one has gotten too dirty, not because it has fallen apart) is to find an old model. Luckily I have a North Face Outlet about an hour or two away from my home so I can just go there and pick up what I like.

I like the older ones because
1.) They have the belt strap thing.
2.) They don't look like you're wearing a turtle.
3.) They had secret compartments. (You could stick your hand inside of the belt strap area and expose an entire pocket which you could put literally anything in.)

The new ones look tacky.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
theno261697_43576_lg.jpg

This one looks sporty and "hip".

the-northface_recon_bk_400.JPG

This one looks heavy duty. I also forgot to mention the straps on the bottom of the bag which you could tighten to make the bag smaller. Those are a plus.

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
I actually have that 2007 Northface Recon posted above. I never even knew about that hidden compartment lol. Now I like the bag a lot better since i can tuck away the waist straps.

idesign245

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I don't know how much you need to carry but I love my Incase Nylon backback. Crazy amount of pockets to hold wallet, phone, iPod, keys, mouse, cables,Etc. And my macbook pro and a few books and notebook. I have the silver and it's stayed pretty clean and it's comfy to wear.

I have pictures here

NewEyesOpen

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2009
West Virginia
Any bag by North Face is is going to be incredible. I own one and I love it. I'm definitely going to buy another to port my macbook pro around in...whenever i get the MBP, of course.

patrickdunn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Timbuk2 is the sturdiest

Not exactly a backpack, but pretty much water-proof and it hold everything including a laptop. I'm going on 5 years with mine and it still looks new.

6_f_jb-jb-jb.jpeg

macjram

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2008
theno261697_43576_lg.jpg

This one looks sporty and "hip".

the-northface_recon_bk_400.JPG

This one looks heavy duty. I also forgot to mention the straps on the bottom of the bag which you could tighten to make the bag smaller. Those are a plus.

I use this bag. But in green.

huntnboy04

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2007
MI, USA
since you're paying so much for school, I get recommend an Eastpak, I have one with two large sections and a place for a laptop. Still serves it purpose just fine, I have had it for 5 years, and it did fine on a 3 week excursion in West Africa.

pb1300

macrumors 6502a
Feb 29, 2008
Aigio, Greece
Im looking for a sling-type bag. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a Nike one, but Im not happy with it at all. I had one before (cant remember if it was a Victorinox, Columbia, or Swiss Army), but it seems my parents misplaced it while they were packing to move overseas. Any suggestions on sites to check out would be appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.