Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBook-Gal

macrumors regular
Original poster
I am planning on installing windows vista onto my macbook pro very soon, but I have a couple of questions. First, is it absolutely necessary to have an external usb keyboard during the setup? Would an apple bluetooth keyboard work instead? I recently traded my usb keyboard for an apple bluetooth and would have to get another usb if it is necessary. Also, I am trying to decide how much space to allot the windows portion of my hard drive. I will only be using the windows vista part for a few programs..none of which require very much disk space.

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
If you can, wait for Windows 7, to be released October 22nd.

You cannot use a bluetooth keyboard, unfortunately, it must be USB.

As far as diskspace, I'd give Vista at least 32GB. You'll end up using it more than you'd think, especially if you're a recent switcher.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
I am planning on installing windows vista onto my macbook pro very soon, but I have a couple of questions. First, is it absolutely necessary to have an external usb keyboard during the setup? Would an apple bluetooth keyboard work instead? I recently traded my usb keyboard for an apple bluetooth and would have to get another usb if it is necessary. Also, I am trying to decide how much space to allot the windows portion of my hard drive. I will only be using the windows vista part for a few programs..none of which require very much disk space.

Yes, it must be a wired keyboard, not bluetooth. For one, bluetooth usually doesn't work until the system has booted up (I can use my bluetooth mouse fine on the OS X login screen for example, but am unable to use it at all to select between me OS X or Windows partitions on boot, I must use the trackpad or a wired mouse). Secondly, Windows wouldn't have the drivers for the bluetooth keyboard installed until after the OS is fully setup and the Bootcamp drivers are installed.

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia

Why not just use the built-in keyboard of your MBP?

As for space, calculate how much you need for your stuff, then add about 15 GB for the system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.