PDA

View Full Version : Counterfeit iPhone 3Gs Becoming More Convincing at First Glance

MacRumors
Jun 29, 2009, 09:54 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/29/counterfeit-iphone-3gs-becoming-more-convincing-at-first-glance/)

Apple service provider MacMedics (http://www.macmedics.com) recently had the opportunity (http://www.macmedics.com/blog/2009/06/27/counterfeit-iphone-3g-stops-by-macmedics-by-way-of-disputed-ebay-auction/) to examine a counterfeit iPhone 3G purchased by a customer off of eBay. The packaging and external appearance of the device appear convincingly genuine at first glance, demonstrating increasing sophistication from such counterfeiters.

The software, however, is the difficult part to imitate, and this is where the counterfeit iPhone falls flat. See the video for a complete walkthrough of the device.

Article Link: Counterfeit iPhone 3Gs Becoming More Convincing at First Glance (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/06/29/counterfeit-iphone-3gs-becoming-more-convincing-at-first-glance/)

toughluck
Jun 29, 2009, 10:02 AM
haha thats just sad :D

andrew0122
Jun 29, 2009, 10:06 AM
It needs an " S⃣ " that way it can be faster. I really like all of the awesome iPhone knock-off accessaries that come with it.

As for me I'll just stick with my actual iPhone 3g S⃣ :cool:

alexprice
Jun 29, 2009, 10:13 AM
Who actually buys these things?

People who think they are real or people who wanna look cool but spend less?

I just don't get it!

iPhone FAIL!

retroneo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'd like to get one of these just out of interest.

Start a collection of the best fake iPhones.

Kwill
Jun 29, 2009, 10:31 AM
Do I have to sign a two-year AT&T contract with it? :rolleyes:

oneals2focus
Jun 29, 2009, 10:34 AM
I would like to see it boot up! :rolleyes: lol

DangerIsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:44 AM
Do I have to sign a two-year AT&T contract with it? :rolleyes:

If not, then its iPhone WIN!

Jasonc23
Jun 29, 2009, 10:55 AM
Thats completely amazing. The software is as responsive as 3.0

brownieguy19
Jun 29, 2009, 10:55 AM
The real question is...

do I qualify for the upgrade price, or the regular price?

speakerwizard
Jun 29, 2009, 11:02 AM

I just don't get it!

iPhone FAIL!

You have far too much faith in the human race, people are generally speaking....stupid.

freediverdude
Jun 29, 2009, 11:28 AM
That's a pretty amazing fake actually. The average person on the street who had never used an iPhone before probably would not know the difference. If they had put a capacitive screen on this it would be pretty darn close.

Excellerator
Jun 29, 2009, 11:43 AM
That dock actually looked cool. Pretty cool fake.

sonny55
Jun 29, 2009, 11:44 AM
I can only imagine that it would respond better if he took the plastic off. I don't understand the point of him leaving it on. Was he trying to protect his investment from harmful fingerprints?

fleshman03
Jun 29, 2009, 12:19 PM
Ok I don't understand one thing.

These people obviously do not care about IP rights, so why don't they hack the firmware and put an iPhone OS on it? Too much programing work? Surely more "programing" went into developing that crap OS.

WildCowboy
Jun 29, 2009, 12:33 PM
I can only imagine that it would respond better if he took the plastic off. I don't understand the point of him leaving it on. Was he trying to protect his investment from harmful fingerprints?

There's no plastic to take off. The plastic he mentions is the actual touch surface.

coffeemaciphone
Jun 29, 2009, 12:49 PM
That honestly had me in tears of laughter....

Sneakz
Jun 29, 2009, 12:51 PM
Wow that was recorded with a 3GS and I didn't even notice. It was that good. Makes me want one, but I'll stick with the 3G for another year.

Hawkeye411
Jun 29, 2009, 12:59 PM
Cool!! Where can I get one?

BaronvdB
Jun 29, 2009, 01:07 PM
holy crap....i'd hate to be the person that bought that off ebay....that's why i only buy/sell within the US...i know there are a lot of people outside the us that are perfectly trustworthy but just don't take the risk.

Airforcekid
Jun 29, 2009, 01:08 PM

These people obviously do not care about IP rights, so why don't they hack the firmware and put an iPhone OS on it? Too much programing work? Surely more "programing" went into developing that crap OS.

Thats what I have been wondering 1.1.4 would be perfect! How much does it cost?

chr1s60
Jun 29, 2009, 01:27 PM
Well, it is much better than the original iPhone clones we saw a few years back. It is still horrible though.

NinjaHERO
Jun 29, 2009, 01:38 PM
That is hilarious. I hope people are using paypal or something so they can get their money back.

windywoo
Jun 29, 2009, 01:41 PM

No, its much, much more work to get the actual iPhone OS to run on non-iPhone hardware than to make something that just looks like it.

Chaszmyr
Jun 29, 2009, 02:09 PM
I have renewed respect for the quality of Apple's products.

iNtrigued
Jun 29, 2009, 02:13 PM
This video is freakin' hilarious!..LOL......My favorite part was the Apple Logo on the "state of the art" accessories.........gotta be careful or you might just get fooled into buying a fake iPhone.....LOL......and to think, people somewhere out there put in of their effort, time, ideas, and work into making this?!:eek: And more sad to know people somewhere out there do actually buy these things......just don't know which is sadder :( LMAO

B.T.W. Got an iPhone 3G S and I'm happy. It is al least 2x faster than the regular 3G booting up, opening apps, loading pages, etc. And it''s definately like 20x faster than this fake iPhone 3G. LMAO! Cheers!:apple:

hellrider
Jun 29, 2009, 02:14 PM
What video?

icurbyou
Jun 29, 2009, 02:15 PM

You must've dropped your phone a few dozen times... or maybe bought yours from ebay.

iNtrigued
Jun 29, 2009, 02:20 PM
What video?

On macrumors.com go to MAC LINKS on the left side column and click on the link that talks about a "counterfeit iPhone". Take out your tissue...you'll be crying! LOL:D

mmccaskill
Jun 29, 2009, 02:55 PM
I'm more curious as to: what OS is it running? What language is it coded? Is it using the same hardware as a real 3G?

kinchee87
Jun 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
The question is ...
... does it blend?

m-dogg
Jun 29, 2009, 03:14 PM
A stylus - sweet!

Vidder
Jun 29, 2009, 03:16 PM

I just don't get it!

iPhone FAIL!

Hopefully for people's sake, they think they are real because having an iPhone/iPod Touch DOES NOT make someone 'cool'.

coolfactor
Jun 29, 2009, 03:18 PM

Huh? 3.0 is fast.

Vidder
Jun 29, 2009, 03:21 PM
holy crap....i'd hate to be the person that bought that off ebay....that's why i only buy/sell within the US...i know there are a lot of people outside the us that are perfectly trustworthy but just don't take the risk.

What if you bought it from someone who bought it from outside the U.S.?

coolfactor
Jun 29, 2009, 03:22 PM
I'm more curious as to: what OS is it running? What language is it coded? Is it using the same hardware as a real 3G?

Since they had what appeared to be a Linux shell app, then I suspect it's running Linux. Shame they have to **** all over a good product with their garbage.

coolfactor
Jun 29, 2009, 03:25 PM

So all companies inside the US are trusthworthy? Nice logic.

The bottom line... regardless of where/whom you buy from, do your research.

iphones4evry1
Jun 29, 2009, 03:26 PM
If they try to sell these to Americans on eBay and claim they are real, authentic iPhones, that is FRAUD, and the U.S. Govt will get involved.

iPhoneNYC
Jun 29, 2009, 03:40 PM
eBay is increasing full of frauds and it does very little to protect the consumer.

GekkePrutser
Jun 29, 2009, 04:05 PM
That video was SO funny :D Hilarious! Kudos to the guy who made it.

theMaccer
Jun 29, 2009, 04:26 PM
I have to say if those people could use the effort that they put into making the fake to something original, they may be able to come up with some serious stuff.

manhattanboy
Jun 29, 2009, 04:40 PM
eBay is increasing full of frauds and it does very little to protect the consumer.

As has been the story year after year

rstansby
Jun 29, 2009, 04:43 PM
If they try to sell these to Americans on eBay and claim they are real, authentic iPhones, that is FRAUD, and the U.S. Govt will get involved.

Good luck with that.

compuguy1088
Jun 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
Since they had what appeared to be a Linux shell app, then I suspect it's running Linux. Shame they have to **** all over a good product with their garbage.

Actually that app is not a linux shell, but a im program, popular in china, Tencent QQ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tencent_QQ

Dagless
Jun 29, 2009, 04:57 PM
I think my cousin was going to import a load of these imitation iPhones before the official ones were sold here. They did video recording, support for dual sim... Rather good actually. But the shipment never came in and that was that.

In the meantime the real iPhone was released and sold, well, quite a few I think :D.

rstone3
Jun 29, 2009, 05:09 PM
Huh? 3.0 is fast.

Agreed - I'm running on a plain 3G and 3.0 is great.

Other than the fact it does not work, it looks pretty good.

This video was done with a 3GS? Likely a stupid question but how can you tell? It looks great; makes me want to upgrade as well.

McShizzel
Jun 29, 2009, 05:11 PM
Ha Ha...The iPhoney

That dock is just great.

BMac702
Jun 29, 2009, 06:34 PM
This video was done with a 3GS? Likely a stupid question but how can you tell? It looks great; makes me want to upgrade as well.

Yes, you can see the apple logo reflected on the "glass" of the iPhony. The video looks great I want one even more as well

Drag'nGT
Jun 29, 2009, 06:45 PM
LOL "we have some fantastic pirated chinese music for our enjoyment."

I saw these in person in Charleston a week ago. They're terrible.

Full of Win
Jun 29, 2009, 06:52 PM

Perhaps its the CPU, where they would need the same type for it to work.

Dezlboy
Jun 29, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm getting one in black because it matches my fake cellular phone antenna stuck on my rear window!:eek:

aristotle
Jun 29, 2009, 11:38 PM
Actually, this is probably one of the most convincing iPhone clones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ABTJXmxaI&feature=related

zacheryjensen
Jun 29, 2009, 11:38 PM
Agreed - I'm running on a plain 3G and 3.0 is great.

Other than the fact it does not work, it looks pretty good.

What other camera have you seen that promotes horrible 2:3 ratio videos? It's like the N-Gage screen nightmare all over again, the exact opposite of widescreen bleh!

But yeah it's fairly obvious with the reflection and so on.

The 3G S video quality is rather good, even better than what you're experiencing on YouTube if you go with the straight video rather than a reencode. I've never been happier with a low end flash camcorder, even in very low light situations, you get grain but no confetti. (Anyone who has used digital cameras over the years will know what I mean)

Dagless
Jun 30, 2009, 12:25 AM
Actually, this is probably one of the most convincing iPhone clones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1ABTJXmxaI&feature=related

That's definitely the most accurate clone I've seen, it's almost flawless. Still not something I'd use but wow.

BlizzardBomb
Jun 30, 2009, 03:58 AM
Reminds me of the Ashens Review (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2tVE7qRLwk).

iTeleport
Jun 30, 2009, 07:53 AM
Wait you're telling me that's not the real iPhone? ******

MD5Hash
Jun 30, 2009, 08:07 AM
As always, the thing I'm most amused by is the amount of accessories that the Fake ships with: case, a dock, an actual voltage adapter.

Sure the build quality and OS are lacking, but I wish Apple would cease their penny pinching, year after year. You guys remember the size of the box from the original iPod right? Besides the fact that it was honkin' huge, it was because Apple actually put stuff in the box.

cleanup
Jun 30, 2009, 08:26 AM
As always, the thing I'm most amused by is the amount of accessories that the Fake ships with: case, a dock, an actual voltage adapter.

Sure the build quality and OS are lacking, but I wish Apple would cease their penny pinching, year after year. You guys remember the size of the box from the original iPod right? Besides the fact that it was honkin' huge, it was because Apple actually put stuff in the box.

Although it's nice to receive a lot of accessories, I think the penny-pinching was a good idea. It reduces the amount of materials they use in their products (not everyone needs a dock AND both USB and FireWire cables for their iPod, for example). And besides, the new iPhone costs $175 or something to make. That's a huge manufacturing cost. Including more stuff would just pass on the cost to us consumers.

As for the fake, you realise that it's not just Apple. Fake Nokias, Sony Ericssons and other such gimmicks circulate the market in China. They're not sold in official China Mobile or China Unicom stores or the abundant Carrefour supermarkets (which sell only legitimate brand name phones) but are sold in the thousands of scattered, dingy, smoky and grimy electronics markets that dot Chinese cities (I've been to many). I'll tell you one thing: these phones are dirt cheap. For many with a lower budget, it's either this, an apparently full-featured, big colour screen phone with a camera, a touch screen, data capability and dual sim capability, or a basic Nokia handset at a similar price. For the most part I found it was lower class cityfolk who used these phones. Most of them weren't fakes, per se, but design clones made by domestic manufacturers. Sure, they weren't great, but they made and received calls, and were cheap. Some people can't afford better. On the other hand, while the gap between rich and poor in China is massive, there are throngs upon throngs of middle class in the developing cities. And believe me, these people will spend a small fortune on new phones every few months.

You get an iPhone every year and a half or so? Some Chinese teenager with spiky hair gets the latest Sony PDA-cameraphone-internet-device-PSP-miniature-laptop thing every half year.

There's plenty of room in China for fakes, and for real merchandise alike. It's an interesting place.

windywoo
Jun 30, 2009, 08:40 AM
Global market folks, a reminder that America doesn't rule the world. If people can't afford iPhones in poorer countries then they make clones or pirate. Apple can't expect their products to be manufactured by people who can't afford them and not have consequences.

joro
Jun 30, 2009, 09:40 AM

I just don't get it!

iPhone FAIL!

The real funny thing is the poor kid who thinks he’s going to be “cool” by having an iPhone and then attempts to show his friend how "cool" he is only to find out it doesn’t work like a real iPhone. FAIL! ;)

Perrumpo
Jun 30, 2009, 10:32 AM
This isn't a fake iPhone...

... it's just Microsoft's version.

joro
Jun 30, 2009, 10:56 AM

:eek:

Mattie Num Nums
Jun 30, 2009, 05:18 PM

Keep trying.

Cloudane
Jun 30, 2009, 05:46 PM
This is why I tend to avoid eBay when buying technology unless very, very careful. It's worse with things like flash memory, which often looks almost identical but is slower or less reliable. Or more dangerously, fake batteries.

Of course, you should know what you're buying which should at least protect you if you notice free accessories that aren't right etc.

Who would buy it? Very few people, if they knew - but often Chinese knockoffs are advertised as the real thing. Simple solutions to minimise the risk: only buy from the EU or US (ahem... for example.. or whoever you happen to trust), and always bear in mind that if the deal seems too good to be true - it probably is.

Romanesq
Jul 1, 2009, 09:27 AM
The Chinese military never ceases to impress. :rolleyes:

happyrogue
Jul 1, 2009, 02:57 PM
I'd be pissed if i got one.

glossywhite
Jul 5, 2009, 08:10 PM
When I first got an iPhone 3G, I showed it to a couple of (iPhone ignorant) Gambian guys, who were INTENT on telling me that ALL touchscreen phones are iPhones, by showing me something FAR tackier & uglier than this clone is, and it had the same, sluggish UI and tacky 'chrome' finish + Asian fonts + removable battery. I had to walk away and pretend to agree with them that they did, indeed have a REAL iPhone.

I recall muttering "idiots!!" to myself as I walked away.

dbo789
Jul 6, 2009, 10:18 AM

Agreed. Canada & US only. Helps eliminate some things like this, plus I don't get hit with some nasty customs charges. Crossing things over the 49th is nothing compared with crossing things over the pacific.

The dock actually looks kind of neat, Instead of making fake iPhones, just make the dock and sell it legitimately as a third party accessory. I know lots of people that would buy it if it was half the price of the apple version.

Jmclark
Jul 6, 2009, 10:39 AM
That phone made me barf.

Marcus263
Jul 6, 2009, 10:47 AM
Someone from my work place took over 100 of these similar iPhone clones to Africa to sell them. I advised against it, but he assured me he would be able to sell them.

vinay427
Jul 6, 2009, 10:57 AM
Wow, if it wasn't for the lag in the software and the video name I never would have guessed this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRrDiTETtAc) is a clone. I think it's much better than the one posted by aristotle.

CylonGlitch
Jul 7, 2009, 02:17 PM
If you happen to want to BUY one of those pieces of junk, check out craigslist.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/ele/1240852140.html

I was on there looking for a development platform for my apps, and ran across this pos. LOL.

sex instructor
Jul 9, 2009, 12:59 AM
this is failure at it's best!

norcaltuna
Jul 9, 2009, 02:39 PM
iFauxne

Ryan.Donnelly
Jul 10, 2009, 11:58 PM
That was one of the funniest videos I have ever seen in my life.
I love the part when it says loading and then okay... I just got the 3gs and it is has blazing fast speed
That was an awesome video

JennaLDS
Aug 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
Funny story.. you all know when the iPhone came out, there were a lot of counterfeits coming from china.. well after my husband spent 1100 bucks at the apple store getting 2 iphones and every accessory that they had, I had some kid that was friends with my sister, tell me that his aunt got him 3 iphones.. (pshhhhh yeah right) and that he was going to have back ups.. well i asked him and hounded him for weeks to let me see it.. and he always had an excuse.. then i saw him in town.. there he was with his iPhone, or lack there of. It was a cheap-o counterfeit.. i said.. well.. that looks umm.. interesting.. he said yea, it is an upgrade from yours.. rightttt... a few weeks later.. there he was back to using his old phone.. i asked him what happened.. and he said, and I quote, "i had to give them back, they were fakes." wow. Apparently, his "aunt" or whoever the woman was, got in trouble with the law, for buying and selling counterfeit apple products which had violated copyright laws with Apple. This crazy woman had "Macbooks, iPhones, and iMac Computers" anyway.. she had sold to hundreds of people and word got around, people were complaining because the computers would work for a week or two and just start freezing up, and people knew, well they HAD to of known that they were fakes. She was selling the iphones for 800, the iMacs for 2500, and the Macbooks for 3000. The money was reimbursed to the people and she is still paying off fines.. All of the products were confenscated and the kids "3 iPhones" were the biggest crock of bull I have ever saw in my life..

it just amazed me how it all unfolded right before my very eyes.. it gave me a good laugh..

JayMasterJJ
Aug 27, 2009, 07:41 AM
This was hilarious, I actually liked the UBER sensitive touch-screen :D:D

But I must say, im pretty astounded by the quality and similar looks, they were made good, not like the N95 replica I once got from web...

Mal
Aug 27, 2009, 08:20 AM
My sister-in-law has one of the iPhone knockoffs (not sure if it's this one). Looks just like it, but has a stylus (I think it technically can be used with just a finger, but it's incredibly difficult to do so), and the software and controls are horrible. She likes it though (because it can take two SIM cards apparently). I can't quite comprehend why.

jW

alphaod
Aug 27, 2009, 04:39 PM
That "Linux" icon is QQ, a popular IM client in China, so MacMedics falls flat there as well :D