Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anmldr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
There appear to be almost uncountable video converter apps out there. I need to narrow down the choices. I have a specific task to perform and will not be routinely using the app. So the price should be cheap or free. My father does not have a computer. I have a MacBook with OS X Leopard. I also have Windows Vista but would prefer to not use this if possible. I want to convert some YouTube videos and burn them to a DVD so that my father can see them on his home dvd player and TV. We are in the US so we would need that format.

I do not know what all types of formats his DVD player will support.

I already use the Firefox plugin "DownloadHelper" and it works fine.

Now what I need to know is what app to download to convert the flv files and then burn them to a DVD. Do I need anything special to burn the DVD or is that something that is already installed on my Mac somewhere...an app that I have never used?

Just as an aside, if I am performing a Google search, I know to look for "flv" but I don't know what format is usually used on a DVD player for viewing on a TV otherwise, I would have been able to narrow my search on Google.

Thanks,
Linda

jackerin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Finland
If you have Perian installed you should be able to import them into iDVD, no? (I have not tried this myself, but Perian does allow for flv files to be opened in Quicktime.)

anmldr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
iDVD on my Mac reports that I do not have a superdrive and so it will not work for me.

Thanks,
Linda

Here is what i do. Go to the youtube video add &fmt=18 at the end of the link. By doing that, you get a mp4 version of the video loaded. Then on the top bar click window, then activity. Then look for the video in the activity box. A good way to tell is by file size. Double click the video file and it will download to your computer.

Attachments

• Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    58.8 KB · Views: 54

anmldr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Thank you for that tip. Is the mp4 supposed to then work on a dvd player attached to a TV? If not then I still need help on the conversion and burning to a disk problems.

Linda

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
google keepvid. you can download youtube videos as mp4 (so no conversion required)
and just use idvd. simple. :)

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
just like tabasco70 said. Go to keepvid.com. Copy the url of the video. Download the high resolution video (that's the mp4). Quicktime can read this. Just import it into iDVD. iDVD will convert it into a dvd player readable format. (MPEG2).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.