PDA

View Full Version : "Network Change Detected" - again and again

keriah
Jun 29, 2009, 05:24 PM
This has been happening for roughly the past two weeks. As far as I know, I have done nothing to change my configuration.

Situation: I'm online via my Airport connection at home and at some point either a web page won't load or my email tells me it is having problems getting to the server. The 'bars' in my menubar show that I still have a connection and a signal.

When I run the Network Diagnostics that Safari offers it comes to a point where it gives me the message "Network Change Detected: Your network configuration has changed. Click OK to proceed to the next step."

When I do that, and Continue (without changing anything that the dialog is showing me) it then completes and tells me my connection is fine, which it then is. And I can go online, retrieve/send email, etc. ... until the next time (sometimes a day, sometimes a few hours).

However, I have not done anything to change my Network. In fact, I have my Preferences 'locked' (ever since that problem with the 'looping' by the Network preferences, several months back).

Since I now know how to get things back working it's only a bother. But I am left wondering if there is something more dire that this signals. Any ideas?

I am the 'administrator' and only user.

Thanks!
Keri
PB-G4; OS 10.4.11 (everything else current)

Diane2boys
Jun 29, 2009, 05:31 PM

keriah
Jun 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
Yup - I am on Comcast.

However, I'm not convinced it is a problem at their box. First, I still can get onto our home network on my iPhone. Secondly, my husband doesn't lose his online session.

I don't need to restart to get things back working -- just go through that Diagnostics loop that Safari offers, and do nothing except click through the boxes. And, viola, I'm back online.

But the Comcast (in WA?) wrinkle is 'interesting'....

FWIW, we've had the Comcast cable modem since early May and this has only started (last couple of weeks). And only my PB.

~ Keri

Diane2boys
Jun 29, 2009, 05:57 PM
[

keriah
Jun 29, 2009, 06:38 PM
No, I am still on Safari 3.2.3 so I can't attribute it to that.

I am trying to spot some sort of correlation. E.g., I am watching a couple of apps. that go online 'behind the scenes' -- specifically, EyeTV (for the EPG updates) and/or RadioShift (which records radio shows I've subscribed to). The latter only runs over the weekend, so that's not a good candidate since the problem happens at random during the week, not just on Monday (or on the weekend).

Looking back at your first reply I see a few other distinctions -- I never lose my 'bars' and I always show that I am connected to my network. On the few occasions when my signal strength drops and I lose the connection I do find my home-network listed and all I have to do is join it -- it remembers all the name/password settings, just as I'd expect it to.

Diane2boys
Jun 29, 2009, 06:52 PM
[