PDA

View Full Version : First Car Insurance Suggestions

bobber205
Jun 29, 2009, 09:35 PM
I'm probably going to buy my first car (used) late this summer.
I'm aiming for a late nineties early two thousands toyota or subaru.

What do you guys think of this decision? Also what about insurance? What should a first time car driver, age 21, male, good grades, living at home with parents, and still in school should expect to pay?

I know it depends on location, but just wanting a ballpark. Do you guys have any companies to recommend?

Thanks for the information! :D

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 09:37 PM
Good lord ... so many variables.

21, male, dependent, used car ...
$1800 give or take. Location dependent, company dependent, coverage dependent. It costs NOTHING to get a quote online. That would be your very best bet.

yg17
Jun 29, 2009, 09:51 PM
See if you can get on your parents' policy, it will probably be cheaper that way

dukebound85
Jun 29, 2009, 09:54 PM
id expect around 100 or so a month easy

creator2456
Jun 30, 2009, 03:39 AM
I live in the Chicago suburbs and pay about $600/year for basic no frills coverage on a 2001 Intrepid. When I first started driving at 18 (21 this Friday :D) it was around $850 for the year but 3 years and only 1 ticket (erased by court supervision) later it has dropped nearly 30%.

mscriv
Jun 30, 2009, 08:38 AM
See if you can get on your parents' policy, it will probably be cheaper that way

If you have a good relationship with the parents then this is definitely the way to go. Let them list the car on the policy as a 2nd or 3rd vehicle for the family that is being driven by a student just for school. This can drop your cost significantly as opposed to having your own policy with you as the primary/only driver. Depending on how safe you are you can look at minimizing the types of coverage to get the lowest possible rate. In my life I've been with Geico, State Farm, and Allstate. They have all been pretty good with no particular one standing out. Just go for the best price at this point in life. When you get older and are looking at multiple policies and stuff like that then you might find some differences between companies.

notjustjay
Jun 30, 2009, 08:51 AM
If it's an older car, look into getting liability only. Any collision damage insurance you get will likely have a deductible of $500 to $1000 anyway.

nobunaga209
Jul 1, 2009, 03:29 PM
Go GEICO or Progressive; they generally provide the best discounts for 'younger' drivers.

Rodimus Prime
Jul 1, 2009, 04:11 PM

Go with that option. most insurance company will insure the cars based on primary driver.

You will be insurance rates will be based on your car only since you are the primary driver of that car and it is your primary car so you do not get screwed by your parents more valuable car.

You will be taking advantage of your parents discounts like multi car discount and chances are they have other insurances with other companies. Give you an idea my car is still insured under my parents policy but the rates under my parents police is about 50-100 a month cheaper than if I went out on my own policy just because of the long list of discounts my parents have.