PDA

View Full Version : Help. New RAM killed my G5

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2009, 10:12 PM
I just installed New RAM that i bought on Newegg. It said it was the right kind of RAM for my PM G5 dual 1.8

Installed it and got the three blinking light thing. Which i guess means bad RAM.
Took it out, and put my old (working one minute ago RAM) back in....still getting the 3 blinking lights.

Uh Oh..

suggestions?

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:16 PM
Got a backup of that drive? If so, I'd try booting from your install DVDs.

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2009, 10:22 PM
I think i have OSX on my old Firewire iPod

i could try booting from that.

then what?

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:24 PM
I think i have OSX on my old Firewire iPod

i could try booting from that.

then what?

Good question.
If you can't boot from it then I wonder if it's your ram slots. Maybe somehow they were blown? Did you check on maybe macsales.com to see if the ram they recommend is what newegg.com recommended? A few weeks ago I noticed newegg.com was not stocking much Apple related stuff. Another user pointed it out here as well. They never had a reason but I wonder if you got ram not intended for a Mac. Did you try to reset the PRAM?

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2009, 10:32 PM
Oy

what did i do??!

This thing was fine ten min ago...

Now it just goes to a double blinking light.

Looks like a hardware problem.

How do I reset the Pram again?

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:36 PM
Shut down the computer.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
Turn on the computer.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
Release the keys.
Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

quigleybc
Jun 29, 2009, 10:50 PM
thanks

but, tried that. No dice. I'm not able to get to the grey screen.

It just blinks twice...the power button that is...black screen

jeez...this sucks

GoCubsGo
Jun 29, 2009, 10:51 PM
Try and boot from the iPod.

OrangeSVTguy
Jun 29, 2009, 11:36 PM
You are installing the memory in PAIRS.... right? :D

Disconnect your power cord. Press and hold the Powerbutton for 10 seconds. Leave it sit for an hour or so and plug it all back in and then try to boot it up again.

Hopefully you grounded yourself before going into your Mac? You could have had some static discharge and blown a few vital circuits. You could also try to reseat the memory and wipe the contacts first.

Does your dual 1.8 have 4 memory slots or 8?

quigleybc
Jun 30, 2009, 12:09 AM
[B] You could also try to reseat the memory and wipe the contacts first.

Yup

went back in there and reseated all of the RAM sticks. Really worked em' in there..it took a few tries

anyway,

Booted up and works now.

Thanks for the replies!

:)

TK2K
Jun 30, 2009, 12:18 AM
wow.. did you fully power off the system first? unplugged from wall?

quigleybc
Jul 5, 2009, 03:05 AM
wow.. did you fully power off the system first? unplugged from wall?

of course

just had to readjust the RAM