PDA

View Full Version : Why would one need a D/A converter

alexpow
Jun 30, 2009, 12:39 PM
Hi,

I am using apogee's duet AD/DA converter to record in logic pro 8.

I'm looking into higher quality converters like the AD 16x and DA 16x, but I'm wondering, why would one need to pay 3200 dollars for 16 channels of D/A?

Don't you just need 2 channels for stereo recording if everything is being outputted from logic through output 1-2?

I am probably missing something, but I needed some clarification

Thanks,

AP

zimv20
Jun 30, 2009, 12:52 PM
when mixing down a song, one can do it ITB (in the box) or OTB (outside of the box).

ITB means the computer does the mix and you need only stereo d/a to hear it.

OTB means you take individual channels, or submixes of individual channels (stems) back out to hardware for mixing in analog. when OTB, you generally want as many separate channels as you can afford.

some people (myself included) believe you can get better sonic results by mixing OTB, whether that be due to the actual summing buss or the ability to more easily use analog hardware, or both.

jackerin
Jun 30, 2009, 02:33 PM
Or if you're recording many different instruments at once, for example at a live performance.

deej999
Jun 30, 2009, 02:53 PM
or if you are outputting to Surround 5.1

or if you want to send a stereo output to a control room (for performers to listen to) or to an alternative set of monitors... etc

ChrisA
Jun 30, 2009, 04:24 PM
Why so many output D/A channels?

One reason is so you can create custom headphone or monitor mixes. For example a guitar player might just want to hear himself and a guide track. A vocalist might want the drums turned down so she can hear the pitch from a keyboard or whatever.

And then you have 5.1 or 7.1 mixes too.

But 16 channels? That seems a bit much