Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wesleym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
Where can I do some reading on background info for ripping dvds? Currently ripping all my dvd's to "apple tv" format using handbrake. But I plan on using plex in the future so I really just want the best quality for standard dvd's. Is there a better format. Haven't tried ripping any blu-ray's yet or tv series on dvd's. Anybody want to show me some links to give me insight on where to start. I want to figure out the best way to organize my tv series as well.

Total newb, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!!

geoffreak

macrumors 68020
Feb 8, 2008
If you have the space, you can rip DVDs without encoding via MacTheRipper or RipIt. These produce exact digital copies of the movies and can be played by Plex. They will be as much as 8GB for a standard movie versus the 1-2GB of encoded video.

wesleym

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2008
If you have the space, you can rip DVDs without encoding via MacTheRipper or RipIt. These produce exact digital copies of the movies and can be played by Plex. They will be as much as 8GB for a standard movie versus the 1-2GB of encoded video.

I think those are a little too large of files sizes for what I am trying to do. That might be the way to do it for my tv series on dvd though, right? That way I could keep the menu's and episode guides, etc...

What about for blu-ray? Can you even rip them to your computer? I know sometimes you they have a digital copy that you can download through iTunes correct? But what have people been doing about these other than downloading the 1080p files illegally?

TRAG

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2009
Louisiana, USA

I think those are a little too large of files sizes for what I am trying to do. That might be the way to do it for my tv series on dvd though, right? That way I could keep the menu's and episode guides, etc...

What about for blu-ray? Can you even rip them to your computer? I know sometimes you they have a digital copy that you can download through iTunes correct? But what have people been doing about these other than downloading the 1080p files illegally?

I use MacTheRipper and usually I get about 7 GB files. There is an option you can use with it to only rip the main feature. This is especially helpful if you do not care for special feature and such. The only real reason I rip the whole disc is because I like the special features on a lot of my DVDs. Extracting the main feature only usually cuts a movie down from 7 GB to about 4 GB on average. It all depends on if you plan on burning to discs later in the future (I do not) and if you care about extra scenes and such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.