PDA

View Full Version : imac snow cd-rw problems

giraffe
May 30, 2004, 12:25 PM
:) Hello I am new to this forum but need a little advice on burning CD's using my old iMac snow DVD/CD computer.

I have had my iMac for years and have never tried burning CD's on it.

I don't really know if my machine can do this.

I have tried to put a CD-RW disc into the front loading drive and the disc almost got stuck!!!!! :mad: . It took a bit of coaxing but it came out again.

Does this mean I have the wrong type of disc or does my computer not do CD re-writing? I am confused as the literature I have for my iMac (I also have a book) doesn't seem to acknowledge that I can CD-RW.

I use i-tunes as a music player and it has a CD burn option on the software.

Please HEEEELLLP.

virividox
May 30, 2004, 01:24 PM
i dont think the imac snow has a built in cdrw,

i tunes comes with an option to burn but u need a burner; best bet is to get an external firewire or usb cd writter

Finiksa
May 30, 2004, 01:36 PM
I have tried to put a CD-RW disc into the front loading drive and the disc almost got stuck!!!!! :mad: . It took a bit of coaxing but it came out again.
I've found this to be a problem with the slot load drives. If the disk is dirty or the top side is very smooth the rollers tend to slip. Even if your drive isn't a burner it should accept CD-RW disks and read from them.

Does this mean I have the wrong type of disc or does my computer not do CD re-writing?
Look at the label on the underside of your iMac it'll state something like this:

IMAC

500/SN/128/20/CDRW/ULTRA/56K/FW/VGA

or if you have a plain CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, the CDRW will be replaced with CD or DVD.

giraffe
Jun 1, 2004, 04:23 AM
Cheers everyone great responses :)

ingenious
Jun 1, 2004, 01:25 PM
Also, try going to the Apple Menu and selecting About this Mac.

See if it says it has a CD-R/CD-RW.