Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Skype [App Store, Free] has been updated to Version 1.1, bringing SMS and voicemail support to the iPhone application, as well as additional language support. Unfortunately, support for Push Notifications is not included in the new version.
What's new in this version:
- Support for the following languages:
English, German, Dutch, Brazilian Portuguese, Portuguese, Spanish, Norwegian, Russian, Traditional Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Italian, French, Polish and Japanese.
- Send text (SMS) messages using Skype credit.
- Voicemail support.
- Improved dialing help when calling phones.
Skype was launched at the end of March, and reached one million downloads in its first two days of release.

Article Link: Skype for iPhone Updated: SMS and Voicemail, But No Push

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
angry noises!

I used skype on the iphone for the first time two days ago and loved it. Great quality and it's going to allow me to reduce my cell minutes. But I would much rather have notifications to receive a call than use sms - not like they shouldn't have both. Ridiculous. I want push!

Stargaze

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
they still havent relesed skype in CANADA!!!!

but thats okay

just log into my US account...

Stupid that i should have to do that but WHATEVER!

Peel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
Seattle
I'm amazed at how few apps have shown up so far that actually use push. When Apple demo'd it in March it seemed that everyone was chomping at the bit to add it to their apps, but of the 79 apps I have loaded on my iPhone only one currently supports push, and that's Tap Tap revenge, an app that I would have put last on my list for getting it. LOL

OS 3.0 have been out for 2 weeks now, and push was in testing for a month before that. Where are the apps?

aendaman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
I'm amazed at how few apps have shown up so far that actually use push. When Apple demo'd it in March it seemed that everyone was chomping at the bit to add it to their apps, but of the 79 apps I have loaded on my iPhone only one currently supports push, and that's Tap Tap revenge, an app that I would have put last on my list for getting it. LOL

OS 3.0 have been out for 2 weeks now, and push was in testing for a month before that. Where are the apps?

second. everyone was griping about "where is push support in iPhone OS" for ages...

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
I like the new skype for the texts as I travel around the world so it's great for some contacts on my list.

But the best thing I've got going recently is the the new AOL IM App with push. I've got all my ichat buddies on there and because it's push it's basically like free texts. Sweet. :cool:

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
Living in Japan, it costs me $1 to send an SMS back to Australia, with skype its only 11c.
BIG difference, good thing about skype is when i send an SMS it will display as my Japanese phone number as if I sent it directly from my phone.

Sending SMS internationally, or when your traveling/living overseas it makes PERFECT sense.

Wish they had push for chat. but I'm sure that will come, hopefully sooner than later.

TXCraig

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Why would you use skype credit to send SMS?

EDIT: From their site, USA $ 0.112

Only cost me 08.8 cents per internatioal SMS. Cheaper then 25 cents charged by AT&T to send AND receive a internatioinal text.

What if Skype did push to let you know you were receiving a call? That would be REAL COOL! Now all we need is it to work over 3G.

libertyforall

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2006
Yawn, it's better to get a SIP account at someplace like broadvoice.com and enable multipresence, then use Fring on the iPhone for VoIP... Then you can use the same VoIP on home phones and your iPhone to make calls...

SIP is a standard, Skype is a proprietary system that is not interoperable with other devices...

Check out http://voxilla.com for more VoIP info.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Because then everyone would have an internet phone in their pocket and could lower their AT&T voice plans to the minimums. AT&T will never allow it.
Everyone would not have an internet phone in their pocket if Skype allowed push notifications. AT&T does not allow for internet phone calls on their network. I'm aware if that. Push would alert you when someone is trying to contact you when Skype is not running. Push would be beneficial for IM's. It has nothing to do with voice. There are plenty of IM apps that push. It's just strange that Skype will not.

fannin269

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
Apple's downloaded 3.0 operating system for iPod Touch does not support Skype. They warn you the first time you open the application.

This so-called "upgrade" disables features and degrades reliability.

Does anyone know if a workaround or updated app are in the works?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.