Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KiNg MaCkeRaL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
I'm new to the forum, so please be easy on me. I already was ignorant enough to post this in the wrong forum once, and I will admit that I get Daffy at this time of night.

I just bought a new Touch. Yes, I finally became an Apple addict after 15 years. I love it so far, but earlier I looked up info on initial charge. I found something that disturbed me.

I was told that the Touch is free of moving parts. I'm not a pro at hardware and I'm certainly not a pro with apple. I read that the HD spins to fill cache and my dream suddenly crashed. I live a chaotic life for a 27 year old. I skate, fish HARD, and play table tennis like a MADMAN. The whole reason that I bought this thing was to replace my Rio Karma.(Ive had it for about 8 years and it still works great, however I could feel something moving in there and I retired it to my dock)

Does this player have moving parts or not? I was told that the Nand Flash was why it didn't have moving parts, which was better for durability. After reading this... I am not sure if I should bring my Touch back or not...(11th line up from the bottom) Please help me as I will admit that I am not tecnologically inclined. I only paid $160 for a brand new 16 Gig, so either way I won't be heartstruck.

Thanks everyone,
B.C.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
No moving parts. That is correct. The iPod touch uses flash memory to store everything, not a hard drive :)

KiNg MaCkeRaL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
No moving parts. That is correct. The iPod touch uses flash memory to store everything, not a hard drive :)

Did you check the link that I provided? It is in the last paragraph. It is directed straight to apple's website. Thanks for the prompt reply btw.

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
It uses flash, so there's no HDD.

The link you provided consernes all iPods, including the Classic which uses a HDD.

statik13

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2008
Did you check the link that I provided? It is in the last paragraph. It is directed straight to apple's website. Thanks for the prompt reply btw.

That line is a bit misleading. They are talking about the hard drive based iPods. The Touch, Nano and Shuffle are flash memory only. No moving parts.

PeteB

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2008
I think the whole "Memory" section is referring to the "Classic" iPod (with a hard drive).

I expect that all flash-based iPods don't need a cache since the access time for flash memory is pretty much zero.

Needless to say, the iPod Touch doesn't have a backlight feature either.

The article appears to have originated for the Classic iPod and have been sloppily updated for later iPod evolutions, creating these ambiguities.

KiNg MaCkeRaL

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2009
That line is a bit misleading. They are talking about the hard drive based iPods. The Touch, Nano and Shuffle are flash memory only. No moving parts.

Thanks for all of your replies and the detail. You guys are the best forum. You are very helpful and very quick to help. Thanks alot.

I just pulled my Ipod off the charger. My computer shut off numerous times, and the charge wasn't the best. The ipod is now powered on and it is awesome. I was concerned if the ipod was real, since the price was so cheap. It is and I am so happy. But the best news to hear is that there are no moving parts. Thanks again people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.