Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laserbeahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2004
Central Valley, CA
I know that we all remember the old Apple dot matrix printers. But does anyeone still have or use a dot matrix printer. I actually have to use one at work. I was just wondering if there was anyone else out there who uses one at work or home.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
We use an original Apple ImageWriter at home for printing out long databases. It's loud and annoying, but we've got lots of spare ribbons, and would rather not use up expensive inkjet cartridges.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
I've used them at places I used to work at and my family has a few somewhere in a garage in middle-america. They're still useful because you need impact printers when you are printing to forms in triplicate and such (since you need the impact to make the marks through all the layers.) Obviously a lot of banks still use them and accounting departments (and legal offices)

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
I wish I still used mine... When I switched my company over to Mac that was the one area I had trouble with... I do about 40 duplicate invoices a day where the customer signs-keeps a copy & the driver keeps a signed copy... Asking the customer to sign twice was a bit unprofessional,imho...
I've since found paper that will serve the same purpose for my laser printer, though I pay dearly for it...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
I still have my C. Itoh Prowriter, which was later branded the Apple Dot Matrix printer, among other names but I don't use it anymore. I think I paid something like $350 for 120 characters per second in 1983. For that matter, I have Panasonic daisy wheel and Okimate 10 thermal ribbon printers here somewhere too.

snooziums

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2004
Evergreen State
Speaking of which....

Does anyone know where I can find a impact printer for the Mac OS? (such as dot matrix). I have had several times where I needed to print on carbon paper, and it is really annoying to have to type it on an electric typewriter.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Check ebay.com for an Apple Imagewriter. I checked Print Utility and that seems to have the drivers built in for OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.