PDA

View Full Version : Direct Ethernet Cable Connection? (WinXP to OSX 10.3)

xfauxsn
May 31, 2004, 01:54 AM
Can it be done? What hardware is needed? I know I can get a crossover cable, but can I just use a regular ethernet cable? Just a simple little question and all.. thanks!

Calvinatir
May 31, 2004, 02:08 AM
Im fairly sure you can easily use a regular CAT5 cable..plug them into eachother...they are assigned IP's and then SMB a connection from the mac to the PC. TO connect to your mac from your PC you need to turn on windows file sharing and at the bottom of that diagram it shows what to enter into IE to connect to the MAC. Its relatively easy.

abhishekit
May 31, 2004, 02:53 AM
yah, it works with the normal ethernet cable. Way I have done it, is manually assign an ip (say, 100.0.0.1) and subnet mask (say 255.255.255.0) to your mac for the ethernet connection. Then on the xp comp, click on lan settings, highlight tcp/ip, then click configure, then give same subnet mask, and a close ip, like 100.0.0.2. this does it.
and you should have a shared folder on the windows machine.

cheers

Ph4lynx
May 31, 2004, 02:54 AM
if you have one of the new macs (i know for the facts the alu powerbooks do this) the NIC will auto detect wether it should be in "crossover mode" or "infrastructure mode" this will what you are talking about. But as far as i know no pc will do this either automatically or manually through software it just wont do it without the crossover cable.

Emerson Lamb

grapes911
May 31, 2004, 09:35 AM
if you have one of the new macs (i know for the facts the alu powerbooks do this) the NIC will auto detect wether it should be in "crossover mode" or "infrastructure mode" this will what you are talking about. But as far as i know no pc will do this either automatically or manually through software it just wont do it without the crossover cable.

Emerson Lamb

You just need one end to auto detect. Once the pc connects to the ethernet cable, the mac will config itself to the correct settings.

wrldwzrd89
May 31, 2004, 09:53 AM
You just need one end to auto detect. Once the pc connects to the ethernet cable, the mac will config itself to the correct settings.
Don't worry about the fact that the PC doesn't auto-detect; grapes911 is right. Once the Mac figures out which kind of Ethernet cable you're using, it adjusts itself to the PC - the PC will be none the wiser (it has no idea that it's connected to a Mac running Samba, or that it is directly connected).

xfauxsn
May 31, 2004, 10:21 AM
Wow, thanks for all your input ^_^ Sounds like it should be pretty easy then.. Well, I guess I'm just going to have to make another run to the Apple Store :D (Gotta return the crossover cable I bought yesterday before I thought of asking this.. then get a new bag. But that's a discussion for another forum isn't it :) )

xfauxsn
Jun 4, 2004, 03:03 PM
Ugh.. this isn't working. None of the things you guys suggested that I do worked.. Any more suggestions? My goal now is to try and share an internet connection (on a dial-up modem) on the Pc with the mac.. can it be done? I should I just break down and buy a router.

Calvinatir
Jun 4, 2004, 03:05 PM
what's dial-up? ;)

nina
Jun 4, 2004, 03:27 PM
Dunno if this will help, but it's what I plan on doing:

If your Windows box has a Firewire port, supposedly you can network them together over Firewire! Check this out for more info:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031112091634533
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031027011901587

I'm a student living with roomates - my plan is to hook up my new 12" Powerbook (when it arrives) to my Windows desktop using Internet Sharing over the Firewire connection. That way, I can browse the net on my Mac (though Firewire) without having to sever the ethernet connection to my desktop.

Sweet, eh? (if it works!)

jywv8
Jun 4, 2004, 03:39 PM
Ugh.. this isn't working. None of the things you guys suggested that I do worked.. Any more suggestions? My goal now is to try and share an internet connection (on a dial-up modem) on the Pc with the mac.. can it be done? I should I just break down and buy a router.

I connect to the internet on my Win2K box through my Mac, which is connected via AirPort to a DSL router. However, I have not gone the other way (connect on Mac through Win box). Nor have I tried this with a dial-up connection or with XP.

All I had to do was turning Internet Sharing (System Prefs -> Sharing -> Internet).

dethl
Jun 4, 2004, 03:47 PM

You'll need to read up on how to get XP to share your internet. I think on the NIC config on your XP box, you set it to share internet.

I hate trying to share internet connections through an XP box. It took me around 3 hours (and I'm fairly experienced with networking!) to get a wireless adapter to finally work (and that was without WAP). I really suggest you google the subject. It helped me alot.