Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cobrakev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
What is the best GPS App to use on the AT&T data plan? I was told unlimited gps data, but they didnt recommend a gps app.

Thanks

Unspoken Demise

macrumors 68040
Apr 16, 2009
>9,000
mapsicon1.png

It really is the best for now. Tom Tom should be a great one when its released.

SephirothXR

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
The iPhone comes built in with an app, MAPS, which gives you access to the Google Maps database and comes with a GPS. The GPS drains the battery no matter which app you use, but it sure as hell comes in handy whenever you need it (and chances are, if you're using GPS, you're in a car most of the time, so definitely get a car charger!)

ohkuipo

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
Who does A&T think they are charging a ten dollar monthly fee for their turn by turn app? It's not like the maps are unavailable otherwise--they're in a default app called MAPS, for crying out loud. Shouldn't it just be a matter of time before someone makes a FREE turn-by-turn navigation app using Google Maps? Heck, you can do it at maps.google.com, why not on the iPhone?

Cobrakev

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 3, 2009
Sorry, I guess I should have said voice turn by turn directions.

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Who does A&T think they are charging a ten dollar monthly fee for their turn by turn app? It's not like the maps are unavailable otherwise--they're in a default app called MAPS, for crying out loud. Shouldn't it just be a matter of time before someone makes a FREE turn-by-turn navigation app using Google Maps? Heck, you can do it at maps.google.com, why not on the iPhone?

Nope, the license Google has for the maps (from Tele Atlas) does not allow for turn-by-turn directions.

AT&T (and other carriers) charge $10 for navigation across their phones -- this isn't unique to the iPhone, and has been a surprisingly popular option over the past few years.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

fyi, other cell carriers have turn-by-turn navigation on their phones for $10/month. Most phones on those networks can also support the install of a Google Maps app. So ATT aren't the only ones.

edit: NightStorm beat me to it

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I am using Navigon at the moment and it is actually quite good. Not perfect but more then adequate.

papiti

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
Puerto Rico
Now why would I pay a $9.99 monthly fee for a Voice Turn by Turn App. If you do the math you are better off just buying a GPS Voice Turn by Turn Unit. They don't charge a monthly fee. Its free, and you can buy a Voice Turn by Turn unit starting at $99.00. SP WHY WOULD I PAy $9.99 A MONTH, IT'S STUPID!!!!!:confused:

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
Just go ahead and buy a Garmin stand alone GPS. Some will tell you to wait for the soon to be released TomTom app but it will most certainly have Apple/AT&T/TomTom restrictions that won't let it be everything you want because, well because that's just the way the universe works. Some here will justify the actions as part of "Apple's master plan", but in the end, it will be underwhelming. Again, just buy a real GPS and be done with it.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Now why would I pay a $9.99 monthly fee for a Voice Turn by Turn App. If you do the math you are better off just buying a GPS Voice Turn by Turn Unit. They don't charge a monthly fee. Its free, and you can buy a Voice Turn by Turn unit starting at $99.00. SP WHY WOULD I PAy $9.99 A MONTH, IT'S STUPID!!!!!:confused:

Well, not really. Yes, you can buy a $99 GPS but that will become outdated. Using the Navigator subscription system will push the most current maps all the time. It is also an option for someone who only occasionally wants GPS access for which $10 a shot for a month of occasional use is pretty thrifty. On the down-side the subscription service GPS approach requires that you have a cell connection available to you. So, you can't be in any non-service areas and maintain data transfer.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Don't forget that the $10 Navigator plan gives you constantly updated maps and real time traffic information. You get neither of these with the $99 one-time purchase. Here is a favorable review. http://www.tuaw.com/2009/07/03/road-tested-atandt-navigator/

Well don't forget you need a "reliable" and fast data connection for it to be of any use. crappy 3g or even edge probably won't cut it. And when traveling in unfamiliar areas and being dependent on gps to get you through those areas, i would NEVER EVER count on having a reliable data connection to find my way out. So as with many others, i'll go with a self reliant app with a hefty one time fee.

lankox

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2007
Well don't forget you need a "reliable" and fast data connection for it to be of any use. crappy 3g or even edge probably won't cut it. And when traveling in unfamiliar areas and being dependent on gps to get you through those areas, i would NEVER EVER count on having a reliable data connection to find my way out. So as with many others, i'll go with a self reliant app with a hefty one time fee.

Good point about the data connection. I wonder how well this will work in different environments. Interestingly, the review I linked did not mention this. I must admit that having one device, with up-to-date maps, with the ability to automatically route around slow traffic conditions is very tempting.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

I have a Garmin Nuvi, but if I didn't and if I were going out of town for a week and need a GPS to get around, I would definitely sign up for AT&T's service for one month and use it while out of town. It's cheaper than the rental car agencies which usually charge about 10 bucks a day for a GPS and it's better than buying an app or standalone unit for $100 when you will use it one week out of the year.

Just because it doesn't fit your needs doesn't mean it's stupid.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007

As far as I know though - you don't need a CONSTANT connection. Just an initial connection to get the appropriate route. Of course, if you want real-time traffic you will need a connection.

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
As far as I know though - you don't need a CONSTANT connection. Just an initial connection to get the appropriate route. Of course, if you want real-time traffic you will need a connection.

I think the snag here would be if you ended up in an area without service and went off-route. The GPS couldn't recalculate a route because it couldn't check in for routing information.

senorian

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2008
What is the best GPS App to use on the AT&T data plan? I was told unlimited gps data, but they didnt recommend a gps app.

Thanks

if you ever consider jailbreaking your iphone, Xgps is an awesome app. I've used it many times and it's always worked perfectly.

cmbezln

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
its 10 dollars a month, works awesome and is still cheaper than most GPS units after 2 years of continual use

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.