PDA

View Full Version : Are you living in a non-English speaking country now?

coolwater
Jul 1, 2009, 04:48 PM
Where are you and how are things there?

What do you like and what do you hate?

How long have you been living there and when are you coming back?

miles01110
Jul 1, 2009, 04:50 PM
I'm in Switzerland, which doesn't really count since everyone speaks some degree of English. I don't like how nothing is open past 7 in the evening, and how the ridiculous number of coffee breaks makes it impossible for me to find the people I need when i need them, and how meals drag on for ever. Switzerland is also priced much higher than it's worth in terms of basically everything (food, clothing, rent...). I've been here over a year, going back to the US at the end of July and not a moment too soon :-P

u49aa2
Jul 1, 2009, 04:55 PM
I'm in Switzerland, which doesn't really count since everyone speaks some degree of English. I don't like how nothing is open past 7 in the evening

Consider yourself luck that things close at 7 pm. Here in Scotland everything close at 5 :eek: yes i am not joking 5 :eek:. This is one of the reasons why i cant wait to move (hopefully very soon)

powerdave
Jul 1, 2009, 05:09 PM
Germany here. I like it a lot. There are positives and negatives to it of course, like everything. Seems like a nice clean, well structured, mature society with good quality public services, high standard of living at a reasonable cost.

It can be too bureaucratic, too structured and sometimes unfriendly... and sometimes the German is a bit overwhelming :o

Been here almost two years and no plans to return home or travel further just yet.

Unprocessed1
Jul 1, 2009, 06:04 PM
I've been here over a year, going back to the US at the end of July and not a moment too soon :-P

Bless your patriotism. :)

windywoo
Jul 1, 2009, 06:08 PM
Consider yourself luck that things close at 7 pm. Here in Scotland everything close at 5 :eek: yes i am not joking 5 :eek:. This is one of the reasons why i cant wait to move (hopefully very soon)

Surely you can find a chipshop open past 5 so you can buy a deep fried mars bar?

InvalidUserID
Jul 1, 2009, 06:37 PM
Yes...California. *rim shot*

:p

neiltc13
Jul 1, 2009, 08:20 PM
Where are you and how are things there?

What do you like and what do you hate?

How long have you been living there and when are you coming back?

Coming back where?

Love
Jul 1, 2009, 08:32 PM
I live in Canada, so we have a lot of people speaking English and some speaking French. Staying home for a while to come.

spaceboots06
Jul 1, 2009, 08:49 PM
I thought everyone spoke English. Ugh, now I have to learn other languages and accept/appreciate different cultures when I travel.

coolwater
Jul 1, 2009, 09:13 PM
I thought everyone spoke English. Ugh, now I have to learn other languages and accept/appreciate different cultures when I travel.

It will be a humbling experience. :)

Scepticalscribe
Jul 8, 2009, 02:51 AM
The Caucasus, actually Georgia. Climate wonderful, range of food astonishingly good, scenery stunning and the ancient city of Tbilisi has a delapidated charm which I find rather attractive.

Politically, one could say that things could be a lot better and overall, it is a country where I'd say the inhabitants, the males especially, are a bit work-shy. I find some of the traditions a bit trying, to put it mildly.

I have been here since last September, and expect to be here for another year, at least; however, I'm going on leave next week, and must confess it is badly needed.

Cheers and good luck