Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
im running windows 7 allongside osx but the problem is natively osx has no ntfs write driver only read so there are 3rd party drivers but im getting tiered of them being slow and/or corrupting data and on the windows side i use macdrive has issues aswell
so i want to convert the ntfs drive to fat32
i heard there were ways to get vista to run on fat32 even though it wouldnt install so im hoping this is the same

anyone know how i could achieve converting the driver from ntfs to fat without loosing data?

thanks

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
CA
those divers suck... for me anyway
ive ran Mac-FUSE with NTFS-3G
it was alright except
if i did a large transfer like a dvd iso and then forced shutdown (held the button)
if i booted into windows the file would sometimes be missing but the space would be taken up still and if i then bootrd back into the mac it was also missing
so i ended up with a dive with dozens of gigs missing and no way to retriece them
also spotlight wouldnt index it

so after that i tried paragon ntfs(the one you pay for)
it worked (still no spotlight indexing) but more often then not its was slow
like try to open the dive it takes 30seconds to show the files and few seconds for other directories copying a file from the ntfs drive to the mac one it would say 10 min
but it would copy slow eg. 32mb chunks every 30 to a minute so a makes copying iso files really slow
so i tried removing paragon and going back to ntfs-3g and it wont mount the drive so im stuck with paragon

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Instead of trying to convert the Windows system drive to NTFS downsizing it to make space for an additional FAT32 partition might be a better idea. Tools like Acronis Disk Director can do this - google 'Hirens boot cd 9.9'

If you are copying DVD iso's - be warned that FAT32 has a maximum 4Gb file size.

The alternative is the snow leopard boot camp beta drivers, with hfs read support as long as you forget about indexing the need to copy from Windows to Mac isn't an issue.

contitego

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.