Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CaptSaltyJack

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
Let's say you have a typical model of scrolling through a table, and tapping an item to see details about it. My "detail" XIB has a label on it, and the controller is linked to the label properly (as an outlet). When is the correct time to set that label to whatever detail I want to show?

For example:

Code:
- (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
{
	PersonDetailController *pdc = [[PersonDetailController alloc]
								   initWithNibName:@"PersonDetail" bundle:nil];
	Person *person = [people objectAtIndex:[indexPath row]];
	pdc.title = person.name;
	pdc.headerText.text = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"%@ is %@.", person.name, person.character]; //headerText is a UILabel on the PersonDetail XIB

GradientCellsAppDelegate *delegate = [[UIApplication sharedApplication] delegate];
	[delegate.navController pushViewController:pdc animated:YES];
	[pdc release];
}

This doesn't work. But if I move the pdc.headerText.text line AFTER I push the view controller on the stack, it works.

Is this the wrong place to be setting labels & other items on the PersonDetail page? I could use viewDidAppear but how would it grab the data? Is it better to just do something here like pdc.statusDetail = @"some message" (NSString *statusDetail) and then on the PDC viewDidLoad method, set the headerText.text = statusDetail?

EDIT: Ah, even better maybe: pdc.person = person. Then the PersonDetailController has the entire Person data so it can print out the info in the viewDidLoad method...yes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.